Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some info required...  (Read 1924 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Some info required...
« on: 29 April 2013, 15:57:44 »

Hi all  :)..

I would like to know if a Omega 3.2 engine fan comes on often (not constantly, but more so than a 2.2 petrol and if stationary does come on now and again ? As my 2.2 hardly ever comes on unless its summer) and if it stays around 90 degrees is that about average ?

ted_one

Re: Some info required...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2013, 17:42:12 »

I can only go by my three and the fans do come on fairly often depending on ambient temperature and wether the car has been subject to a little bit of spirited driving,I think in general most of the bigger engined model owners would agree that the V6 seems to generate a fairly high level of heat from the underside....nice an toasty when you open the door to get out on a cold winters day :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2013, 17:46:14 »

I can only go by my three and the fans do come on fairly often depending on ambient temperature and wether the car has been subject to a little bit of spirited driving,I think in general most of the bigger engined model owners would agree that the V6 seems to generate a fairly high level of heat from the underside....nice an toasty when you open the door to get out on a cold winters day :y
Ah that wouldn't have helped  :-X

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2013, 18:27:19 »

Another question when in reverse (3.2) it felt like it was struggling to reverse had to give it a fair bit of power, Was a steep hill with a mixed surface but wheels weren't spinning and TC was off, Has been standing a while though  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2013, 18:34:01 »

Fans come on more on V6, as its engine bay gets a lot hotter.

More room around 2.2 bay, also 2.2 only has 1 cooling fan, V6 has two.

You will also notice after a long drive, they can stay on for around 30 seconds or so when you've switched off. 2.2 hardly ever does that unless you've been in a lot of heavy traffic on a very, very hot day.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2013, 18:37:31 »

Fans come on more on V6, as its engine bay gets a lot hotter.

More room around 2.2 bay, also 2.2 only has 1 cooling fan, V6 has two.

You will also notice after a long drive, they can stay on for around 30 seconds or so when you've switched off. 2.2 hardly ever does that unless you've been in a lot of heavy traffic on a very, very hot day.
Thanks for that tunnie  :) :y

dazzerM

• Reading
  • Mokka 1.7CDTI, BMW 120D Shadow (It’s a work car)
    • Which ones closest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2013, 19:07:03 »

This topic brings me back to my first ever question on Omegas 2 odd years ago  ;D

I think it was along of the lines of help my car is overheating its running at 90-95 then the fans kick in, I was kindly informed this was normal running temps for the V6 don't panic it's not going to blow up

I went outside and reeled the hose in on standby  ;D
Darren

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2013, 19:21:06 »

This topic brings me back to my first ever question on Omegas 2 odd years ago  ;D

I think it was along of the lines of help my car is overheating its running at 90-95 then the fans kick in, I was kindly informed this was normal running temps for the V6 don't panic it's not going to blow up

That's a relief  ;D , As i've barely ever heard my 2.2 fan come on maybe last time was last summer after a 100 mile drive.. And doesn't the Aircon when cold is selected make it work much harder as well I believe ..

dazzerM

• Reading
  • Mokka 1.7CDTI, BMW 120D Shadow (It’s a work car)
    • Which ones closest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2013, 19:33:35 »

That's a relief  ;D , As i've barely ever heard my 2.2 fan come on maybe last time was last summer after a 100 mile drive.. And doesn't the Aircon when cold is selected make it work much harder as well I believe ..

I am not sure I never noticed it tbh given it lived on the main fan, the 2 other fans in the aircon rads kick in at a certain temp to assist with engine cooling. Must be really hot though as I never noticed it  :y
Darren

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2013, 20:26:32 »

Another question when in reverse (3.2) it felt like it was struggling to reverse had to give it a fair bit of power, Was a steep hill with a mixed surface but wheels weren't spinning and TC was off, Has been standing a while though  :-\
Was the engine hot?
The autobox ECU is programmed to engage at higher revs when the engine cold. It can feel as though something has broken if you are not expecting it.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2013, 20:47:41 »

Was the engine hot?
The autobox ECU is programmed to engage at higher revs when the engine cold. It can feel as though something has broken if you are not expecting it.
It was around 40-60c roughly if i remember correctly..

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2013, 00:16:36 »

Was the engine hot?
It was around 40-60c roughly if i remember correctly..
Probably nothing wrong maybe it just needed a run to slacken off things.

grain.ben

« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2013, 09:14:31 »

On my 2.2, my normal running temp is between 85-90, fan usually kicks in at 94-95 when sat in stationary traffic. When using air-con, running temp with both fans on is a constant 80-85.

Sorry to hijack this tread, could you install 2 front rad fans to the 2.2 to keep it even cooler, as all the wiring is present for a second fan on the front of the rad?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.