Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huawei - Who Dunnit?  (Read 2570 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Huawei - Who Dunnit?
« on: 25 April 2019, 23:35:34 »

When the US, Australia and New Zealand, 3 of our Five Eyes allies have banned Huawei from involvement in building their 5g networks on security concerns, why has Theresa May allegedly given the go ahead for them to be involved in building 5g in the UK despite numerous warnings on security from various well placed sources?  :-\

Surely the government have to be 100% confident that Huawei poses absolutely no risk to the UK what so ever, but I cannot for the life of me see how they can be given all the warnings....   :-\  I sense another screeching U-turn on this from this incompetent government.  ::)

And who leaked it?  ???  My betting it was Corporal Pike!  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Huawei - Who Dunnit?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2019, 23:47:50 »

Ok maybe not for the Early Network Infrastructure but as Consumers weve been using Huawei Mobile Data Products for donkeys years, well before the Mobile Broadband days, most of it was PCMCIA Cards, PC Cards and Data and WiFi Dongle Sticks, Re Branded into Voda, O2, T Mobile, Orange and Three products to name a few.  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2019, 00:20:02 »

Why are Huawei deemed a risk over other Chinese telecoms companies like ZTE for example?   ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2019, 02:57:02 »

Why are Huawei deemed a risk over other Chinese telecoms companies like ZTE for example?   ???  :-\
Well ZTE arnt exactly out of the Free Ride Boat yet, the US Government have charged certain Senior Members of Huawei of Fraud and stealing Intelligent Property Rights, it was Trump who has decided to Ban the Firm from anywhere near the US 5G Markets for fear of any of Huawei ties to the Chinese Government, I mean what large Corporate Chinese Company doesn't have its strings pulled by the Chinese Government.

As far as the UK is concerned I seem to remember, the UK Security Services and GCHQ found Security holes in there Software where certain senior Members of Huawei had Back Door Password access to a lot of there Software and Network Hardware Solutions, I also seem to remember Ms May in Her previous Role insisted Huawei fix the problem before anymore UK involvement could continue, which Huawei did at great costs to themselves.

If you go back to the early days of Mobile Phone Network makers, it was the likes of Nokia, Ericsson and Motorola who were the key players, well Im afraid them days are now over, its all about China now, and that includes pretty much all the Mobile Phone Manufactures as well. So if it doesn't come from China where is it going to come from?

Lets face it, China is set to be the biggest and richest economy on the Planet in the next decade or so.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2019, 05:28:42 »

All of the countries expressing concerns are Pacific rim countries that have to share the pond with China. Xi is a ruthless old school communist (like Lord Opti) spreading his foul doctrine worldwide subtly into other 2nd/3rd world countries through infrastructure projects & re-educating killing millions who disagree with him including the Muslim genocide now going on in 're-education' camps along with the destruction of their up to 800yo mosques. Now Middle Eastern influences have caused several mass knife atrocities in China hence the clamp down. I don't have a problem with killing terrorists who represent 0.01% of Muslims as misfits, but I do with the slaughter of the 99.99% who don't. On top of this you have the Great Internet Wall of China & the all intrusive sinister 'good citizen' points system. :( :( :(

How does this affect the West?

Totally, from them being the biggests hackers & attackers of the Internet to being total Geopolitical adversaries in attempted takeover of key Western companies, university research through grants, undergrad & post-grad students (UK is badly compromised on this with US a close second) to the constant attacks on our security services & telecom sleepers whether through consumer or business telecoms equipment. Do we know the broadcast codes to enable hardware snooping? No. US has currently many Chinese students & employees on espionage charges & 'cheapest' US government procurement contracts won anti-virus Kaspersky software into many sensitive US Gov. areas which was used by the Kremlin to embarrass the CIA, NSA & Pentagon from their esponarge & public release of secrets, especially though the Russian front of Wikileaks. >:( >:( >:(

This is why the banning of Huawei from a hostile communist nation is totally justified.

If we allow Huawei equipment how will it affect our 5-eyes status. May is killing UK 5-eyes participation, so we can expect regular fatal terrorist attacks in the UK, like in Sri Lanka. Her WA agreement includes sharing 5-eyes intel with ALL EU countries including close Russian allies of Croatia, Hungary & Greece. This simply won't happen where it exposes sources & Intel to Russia & China, so we simply will be excluded from most sensitive Intel including UK terrorist warnings. Protecting Intel & sources from adversities is always the number one priority for intelligence agencies, so they can use them again & again, but also to stop them being topped!

UK Politics: May: Total clueless is, clueless does, where she as an overpromoted poor office junior who is totally & uttily out of her depth on everything & is destroying UK democracy, international credibility & UK armed forces & security. >:( >:( >:( She is a treason weasel traitor & EU Agent that needs to be put on trial & locked up for the rest of her life. >:( >:( >:( I personally I have never ever seen such damage done to the UK & our interests (Lord Haw Haw was less damaging & we rightly hung him). :y :y :y

If you want to stop commie Corbyn being PM, then like me support the current rapid Conservative extinction & support Nigel Farage & The Brexit Party who are the only credible party that can in our first past the post electoral system stop him. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2019, 09:40:23 »

Yes, I must admit the fact that the Maybot is an expert in telecomms security is news to me. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2019, 10:46:59 »

Yes, I must admit the fact that the Maybot is an expert in telecomms security is news to me. ::)

She is more likely to be heeding advice from the NCSC/GCHQ on this.  Their mindset is to follow a risk-managed approach.  Even if it so riddled with holes it resembles swiss cheese it can be considered acceptable so long as the risks are known and there is a mitigation plan, either in planned software rectifications or in the manner in which they are implemented, then it can be acceptable.

There have been reports on Twitter and LinkedIn of a super 'secret' Huawei vulnerability testing facility (with a banner outside for the public to see so I am not so sure how secret it really is) so I suspect that there has been a significant amount of assurance testing going on and that any equipment that is used in our 5G networks will have to go through the approval stages where it is torn to pieces by our boffins.

I prefer this pragmatic approach being taken rather than the protectionist approach oompa lumpa in a China shop.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2019, 10:53:02 »

Yep, Huawei. Totally trustworthy: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/03/nsa-inspired_vu.html

Then again, I also know from first hand experience that they can be every bit as incompetent as everyone else in IT, so as they say - never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2019, 11:02:06 »

She is more likely to be heeding advice from the NCSC/GCHQ on this....

Well, it's either her or the rest of the National Security Council that is. ;)

Still, if said organisation leaks like a sieve, there's no harm in our 5G networks doing likewise, I suppose. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2019, 11:02:14 »

When the US, Australia and New Zealand, 3 of our Five Eyes allies have banned Huawei from involvement in building their 5g networks on security concerns, why has Theresa May allegedly given the go ahead for them to be involved in building 5g in the UK despite numerous warnings on security from various well placed sources?  :-\

Surely the government have to be 100% confident that Huawei poses absolutely no risk to the UK what so ever, but I cannot for the life of me see how they can be given all the warnings....   :-\  I sense another screeching U-turn on this from this incompetent government.  ::)

Don't tell him Pike. :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2019, 11:38:35 »

Trust me, the more I work in the field of Information Assurance (the non-sexy word for Cyber Security) the more I realise that you don't need to ask a company to build a back door for their mates.  Those that make great hardware often make software as leaky as a cauldron and those who make great software often use 3rd party code/libraries which can great for efficency but bad for security.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2019, 18:06:47 »

There are 2 potential big risks.

A year or two back, a law was passed that any Chinese firm must obey any demands from the Chinese government.  That's also why ZTE are banned in US official procurement.

The current biggest risk with Huawei is that their code is shit. Its back bedroom type coding, designed to mostly work, rather than be secure.  Huawei have a centre in Banburyshire where they show their source code to the GCHQ boffins, and its those boffins that will then advice the government.

Its been deemed risky enough that its not allowed in any UK telco core networks, but is allowed in the RAN parts of the mobile network - the risk being no greater than those using Huawei handsets for example.

Huawei are a major, major player in the networking infrastructure area, and there is a reasonable chance that your internet connection goes through some Huawei kit, somewhere.  Huawei are also ahead in the 5G development, so all mobile providers are starting to look at their RAN stuff, and start planning the integration, ready for when (if) 5G ever gets ratified.

A cynic my suggest the US' attempt to get blanket bans is because the likes of Cisco and Juniper aint happy having to compete with the chinky (relative) upstart  :-X
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2019, 18:08:10 »

Sorry - RAN = the actually wireless link part, between handset and cell, plus the backhaul. Radio Access Network.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2019, 18:30:35 »

I reckon it was the cleaner.

It is always the cleaner as no one takes any notice of what they are doing! :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2019, 18:54:02 »

It was a cabinet member looking to rock the boat, clearly.  The PM's position is fragile, so a bit of a shake, somebody might benefit ;)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2019, 19:35:12 »

A cabinet member with leadership aspirations (which is most of them) will have got one of their civil servants to do the dirty deed, and will hang them out to dry if the shit hits the fan.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2019, 23:51:11 »

Which shit? It's so hard to keep track these days ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2019, 00:57:38 »

In years to come, you just know that millons will turn into billions as they try to evict the fat chinese controller in charge of our information super highway  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 April 2019, 10:18:27 »

In years to come, you just know that millons will turn into billions as they try to evict the fat chinese controller in charge of our information super highway  ::)
That has already happened when the US government handed out key control of the Internet to private American companies, who were already renown for dubious commercial practices.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 April 2019, 12:44:41 »

The reason the brown stuff has hit the fan is that security expert office junior May has ignored UK security services advice by overruling them in favour of Huawei.

So as well as working out who leaked also try & guess which PM, ministers, civil servants have their Huawei consultancy jobs in place for advising the government on 5g implementation. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 April 2019, 12:50:51 »

The reason the brown stuff has hit the fan is that security expert office junior May has ignored UK security services advice by overruling them in favour of Huawei.
That is factually incorrect ;).
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2019, 21:06:08 »

That is factually incorrect ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8l2b4i6Us
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 18 queries.