Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbone with polly fronts question  (Read 1962 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Wishbone with polly fronts question
« on: 21 July 2014, 18:32:47 »

So how long do your GM or Lemforder rear bushes last (roughly) when you have front polly bushes and lowered chassis?

chrisgixer

Re: Wishbone with polly fronts question
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 19:53:17 »

So how long do your GM or Lemforder rear bushes last (roughly) when you have front polly bushes and lowered chassis?

Not actually had a rear bush fail with poly yet.

...although I did change them as suspected they where past their best. Turned out to be a slightly flexing Lemforder steering idler, replaced with GM idler.

In theory, well, my theory anyway ;D is that they should least longer with poly, as there is less yaw put through the rearward oe rubber bush due to less flex in the front bush.

Lowering should help too, as the natural position of the wishbone sits nearer the natural horizontal position the rear bush wants to sit at. Stiffer suspension, should also help as there's less suspension travel and therefor less action on the bush.

....one wonders why Mr VXL V6 is asking :(

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 21:45:21 »

Anything from a week to 20k ringing any bells :-\
« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 21:47:52 by Taxi Al »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2014, 06:02:04 »

I reckon slightly less than before. I seem to be getting around 20k from GM rear bushes in a GM wishbone, with Powerflex front polys.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2014, 08:13:11 »

I reckon slightly less than before. I seem to be getting around 20k from GM rear bushes in a GM wishbone, with Powerflex front polys.
Interesting. Car has done 21K with complete new suspension setup (Lemforder Wishbones, GM rear bushes, Powerflex front poly bushes, MV6 Springs, B4 Shocks, Meyle HD droplinks, GM steering idler, setup to our accepted settings by Fleet Fit in Loughborough), it's also had rear Lemforder donut bushes approx 10K ago, two new front hub/bearing assemblies in the last 5K and Tradeclub discs and OEM pads in the last 1K.

I do need to fit new tyres all round as the current ones were only put on until I was happy that the chassis work was complete and also because I want to get a set of wheels refurbished before fitting new tyres.

The issue I have is when nearly at the point of completing a tight corner - the point where the bodyshell's momentum is loading up the outside wheel - it has the sensation that the tyre wall is flexing and the car appears to have a little 'jolt' before settling down. the the best analogy I can give is it's like the body shell jolt if you were to accelerate with a FWD mid bend.

TRE's are good and there is no noticable play at either wheel. Car drives absolutely straight with no steering input on a level road other than this issue the car handles well, far better than standard suspension but a little softer than the 3.2 does on Eibach / B4's

As I say, could simply be sidewall weakness on my cheapo tyres, a point I could prove by swapping the 3.2's wheels and SC3's onto the car (but I really would like to then put a refurbished set of wheels and new tyres on the 3.2.....!  ::) ££££££!)

I usually carry a fairly full and relatively heavy load in the boot, which was removed when going to the Oxford meet, this did seem to improve matters a bit, but unfortunately isn't an option fro me in the week.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2014, 12:24:15 »

What are the front arb bushes made of? Rubber or Poly :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2014, 12:40:39 »

Not replaced them so presume they are originals.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2014, 13:03:59 »

Not replaced them so presume they are originals.
More than 80k, but less than 120k :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2014, 13:15:27 »

127K sir.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2014, 13:59:37 »

They'll be past their best then... Question I guess, is what to replace them with...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2014, 14:15:00 »

They'll be past their best then... Question I guess, is what to replace them with...
Pretty sure Polyflex do poly replacements for them.... might be a job to do when I have the Rad and condensor out on my next task to complete on this car.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2014, 15:02:27 »

Ah slightly crossed wires... They do indeed do poly arb bushes, was referring to the vertical rears, but on rereading, they have been changed already ::)

Could be that the rubber arb bushes are deforming and snatching as the arb loads up :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2014, 16:17:01 »

I have had exactly these symptoms (normal steering up to a certain loading then feels like something has "shifted") and it was the front wishbone rear bushes.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2014, 16:29:49 »

Similar symptoms to the chewing gum bushes in Delphi wishbones. Feels like the outside wheel is folding over.

Not encountered on my own car though.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2014, 19:38:37 »

OK, thanks to all for the confirmation.  :y

So basically, the concensus of opinion is that it is rear wishbone bushes and 20K is around the failure point when running this setup....

So that means i'll have to change the bushes (probably better to have another pair of wishbones prepared and just slot the front polys out of the existing into the replacement wishbone) twice a year at current annual mileage....   .....Which also entails having a full geo every time as well.

Great!  >:(

It's not really the money aspect or the wishbone fitting, it's having the time which is the problem - time to fit, time to geo.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.