Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 cutting out.  (Read 964 times)

ted_one

3.2 cutting out.
« on: 24 July 2014, 20:11:08 »

Just been looking through this section for members that have had the same problem with the car cutting out on approach to roundabouts and junctions :o The car can be started as soon as it cuts out without having to stop and will then drive on until the next slow down situation,is this a symptom of a crankshaft sensor failing or possibly something else?  :-\

powerslinky

Re: 3.2 cutting out.
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2014, 20:39:58 »

Just been looking through this section for members that have had the same problem with the car cutting out on approach to roundabouts and junctions :o The car can be started as soon as it cuts out without having to stop and will then drive on until the next slow down situation,is this a symptom of a crankshaft sensor failing or possibly something else? :-\

Throttle body clean would be first job Ken  IMO ;)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 20:44:43 by Essex Big Al »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2014, 21:12:04 »

I had exactly the same symptons on my first V6 3.0 Omega. I changed lots of things, inc. crankshaft sensor, all in vain. It turned out to be MAF sensor. Easily tested, just unplug it and it will still run in default mode, with EML on, but without stalling.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2014, 21:39:59 »

That's exactly the symptoms mine had one the MAF failed. Try disconnecting it, which will put the EML on, even if it does now idle. Fitting a new(well, my spare) fixed the problem.

ted_one

« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2014, 22:08:44 »

Thanks for the tips....only ::) I've just spoke to my son and he said that when I had a problem with the crank shaft sensor a few months ago they fitted an aft**m***et item as VX couldn't get one on the hurry up. Hmmm :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2014, 22:10:14 »

Therein might be the root cause then, especially if the same approach was applied to the wire routing :-\

powerslinky

« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2014, 07:13:57 »

Thanks for the tips....only ::) I've just spoke to my son and he said that when I had a problem with the crank shaft sensor a few months ago they fitted an aft**m***et item as VX couldn't get one on the hurry up. Hmmm :-\

Oops!  :-[     Best to get a replacement genuine one ,

I think there is a new one for sale for £20 in the  "car parts" section  from Jonny2112. May be worth checking out if it is a 2.6 /3.2 GM one though :-\

But still easy to  unplug the MAF & try as advised by others first. As for my suggestion of throttle body clean, I had exactly the symptons on a Vectra,  I cleaned throttle body & butterflies & never had the problem again .
« Last Edit: 25 July 2014, 07:28:04 by Essex Big Al »

ted_one

« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2014, 12:53:05 »

Thanks Al,took the car to work this morning....the problem has gone :-\SO may be I've got lucky or is it a developing fault :-\ MAF checks out,throttle bodies cleaned two weeks ago,and the only other thing that was different was that I had a new A/C condenser fitted yesterday and the rad was taken out to do the job and the battery was disconnected while it was worked on,probably not relevant... but the car had been running right on the money up to that point,bit of a mystery really ::)

ted_one

« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2014, 16:01:28 »

Forget that last post....car is virtually undrivable...took it out on the motorway,just to make sure,as you do, and every time you try to accelerate the engine dies and I actually had to go on to the hard shoulder to restart the car.No codes showing...Dunno!! now lost the plot >:(

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2014, 16:07:33 »

Crank sensor it is then :'(

powerslinky

« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2014, 16:38:46 »

Forget that last post....car is virtually undrivable...took it out on the motorway,just to make sure,as you do, and every time you try to accelerate the engine dies and I actually had to go on to the hard shoulder to restart the car.No codes showing...Dunno!! now lost the plot >:(

As Taxi Al says  . . . crank sensor now prime suspect . . . . I am led to believe it does not always throw up a code :-\

Can you not  swap the one out of you other 3.2 just for elimination purposes to begin with  :y

ted_one

« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2014, 20:22:15 »

We may well do that...going to get James to take a look see... ASAP ::) I'm looking for my club hammer just in case the car needs some 'fine tuning'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.