Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timing Belt Issue  (Read 931 times)

frmg0014

• Brampton, Ontario, CANADA
    • 2001 Opel Omega MV6
    • View Profile
Timing Belt Issue
« on: 25 July 2014, 02:36:57 »

Replaced my timing belt and tensioners recently on my 2001 Omega MV6 (3.0) and I'm having issues with the belt noise.  It started with a rattle/rubbing noise on cold start ups.  I took the timing belt apart and noticed that the belt had scuffs on the top side, and the tension seem a bit loose, but the timing was lined up.  Thinking I did not tension the belts properly, I purchased a new belt, reinstalled it.  Now it's starting to make sound during start up again!!!  I'm thinking it may either be a bad tensioner or the pulleys?

The belt kit I used is Dayco 95285K1 which consists of a timing belt, tensioner and the two pulleys.  It's NOT one of the kits which includes the backing plate with tensioner and 1 pulley already attached.  I had to remove my old tensioner and pulley off the original backing plate then install the new ones.  The problem is the two pulleys with my kit did not come with any spacers.  I noticed the lower pulley had a thick spacer which I had to reuse.  I don't recall the top middle pulley, which attaches to the backing plate having any spacers behind it.  But upon watching this video of a timing belt change on a saab, which shows replacement of the tensioner and pulleys while using the original backing plate... I noticed the pulley attached to the backing plate had a spacer?  Can anyone confirm that this pulley is suppose to have a spacer?  I don't recall mine having one, and I unfortunately threw out the original pulleys  :( :( :(

Here is a link to the video of the pulley I'm talking about at 18:37 mins of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXaw4xgogQ

I'm thinking of parking the car and ordering the Gates kit which includes a new backing plate with tensioner and pulleys already attached.   :-\
« Last Edit: 25 July 2014, 02:48:55 by frmg0014 »

05omegav6

Re: Timing Belt Issue
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2014, 04:24:37 »

Replaced my timing belt and tensioners recently on my 2001 Omega MV6 (3.0) and I'm having issues with the belt noise.  It started with a rattle/rubbing noise on cold start ups.  I took the timing belt apart and noticed that the belt had scuffs on the top side, and the tension seem a bit loose, but the timing was lined up.  Thinking I did not tension the belts properly, I purchased a new belt, reinstalled it.  Now it's starting to make sound during start up again!!!  I'm thinking it may either be a bad tensioner or the pulleys?

The belt kit I used is Dayco 95285K1 which consists of a timing belt, tensioner and the two pulleys.  It's NOT one of the kits which includes the backing plate with tensioner and 1 pulley already attached.  I had to remove my old tensioner and pulley off the original backing plate then install the new ones.  The problem is the two pulleys with my kit did not come with any spacers.  I noticed the lower pulley had a thick spacer which I had to reuse.  I don't recall the top middle pulley, which attaches to the backing plate having any spacers behind it.  But upon watching this video of a timing belt change on a saab, which shows replacement of the tensioner and pulleys while using the original backing plate... I noticed the pulley attached to the backing plate had a spacer?  Can anyone confirm that this pulley is suppose to have a spacer?  I don't recall mine having one, and I unfortunately threw out the original pulleys  :( :( :(

Here is a link to the video of the pulley I'm talking about at 18:37 mins of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXaw4xgogQ

I'm thinking of parking the car and ordering the Gates kit which includes a new backing plate with tensioner and pulleys already attached.  :-\
That's the best thing you can do :y

That middle pulley should indeed have a spacer...

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2014, 23:28:40 »

Question for all really. If it didn't have a spacer, would it even turn? I'm fairly sure it wouldn't.

Also, could it be that the middle/ top eccentric roller that sets bank 1 and 2 is set to tension the belt in the loose side and is rubbing on the cover? Ordinarily the pulley eccentric is set on the tight side, so to speak, so that if the roller comes loose the belt rotation has more chance of holding tension or won't undo it.

If that makes sense....? :-\ (not sure it does tbh, but "I" know what I mean  ;D )
« Last Edit: 25 July 2014, 23:30:32 by ropeman »

frmg0014

• Brampton, Ontario, CANADA
    • 2001 Opel Omega MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 01:10:38 »

Another question for everyone..  I was inspecting the car gears and had  the engine at TDC...  cam gear 1 spun counter clockwise approx 30 degrees as it was spring loaded.   I had to grab a rachet and spin it back clockwise to line it up.   I know I should have had the cam locks in but I wasn't thinking  :-\

Is it possible the valves hit the piston in this event?

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2014, 09:47:21 »

low speed collision, so no problem. :)

tport

• east mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2014, 12:20:54 »

Same thing happened to me the timing belt change before last.  No problems.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.