Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting troubles....  (Read 9941 times)

stuvaux

• Stourbridge, West Midlands
    • 1999 Mig 2.5V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
Re: Starting troubles....
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2014, 20:32:30 »

Not certain if this thread helps.... I know you haven't got a warning light on, but it does, to some extent, describe the vent system, I have a strong feeling you have a blockage somewhere ... perhaps in the purge valve or the carbon canister ??

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1180455423

Thanks, I will have a look at that (and the not so helpful Haynes).
Take a look at my Dog Training blog at Dog Training HQ

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2014, 20:34:04 »

Purge valve raises a code :y

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #32 on: 13 March 2014, 20:40:26 »

Thanks  :y

Still no codes, but they don't always show up.....!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2014, 20:42:10 »

I believe it only raises a code if it doesn't work electrically ... ie  open circuit ?? so if it is physically blocked it might be "electrically" good but not actually passing any air/fumes/vapours ??

Clutching at straws .. but Haynes says nowt about the vent system and its ability to replace burned fuel with air .. it only mentions evaporative fuel being purged ....  :(

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 13 March 2014, 21:02:20 »

Worth looking at the plumbing under the car... the cannister is in the drivers front wheelarch, possible that the vent pipe has been crushed under the car :-\

Just had another thought...

The purge valve on mine died after a breather clean, resulting in a faint smell of petrol in the car...

If the breather pipes are connected the wrong way round, could the increased vacuum be enough to draw air out of the tank?
2.5 and 3.0 small breather pipes are the same diameter, on the 2.6/3.2 they're a different size. So possible to connect the breather box small pipe and the purge valve pipes the wrong way on earlier cars :-\

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #35 on: 13 March 2014, 21:05:40 »

I believe it only raises a code if it doesn't work electrically ... ie  open circuit ?? so if it is physically blocked it might be "electrically" good but not actually passing any air/fumes/vapours ??

Clutching at straws .. but Haynes says nowt about the vent system and its ability to replace burned fuel with air .. it only mentions evaporative fuel being purged ....  :(

Typical Haynes  :-\

Thanks, I will investigate all possibilities mentioned as soon as I can (busy working most of tomorrow so likely the weekend now)

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #36 on: 13 March 2014, 21:07:03 »

Worth looking at the plumbing under the car... the cannister is in the drivers front wheelarch, possible that the vent pipe has been crushed under the car :-\

Just had another thought...

The purge valve on mine died after a breather clean, resulting in a faint smell of petrol in the car...

If the breather pipes are connected the wrong way round, could the increased vacuum be enough to draw air out of the tank?
2.5 and 3.0 small breather pipes are the same diameter, on the 2.6/3.2 they're a different size. So possible to connect the breather box small pipe and the purge valve pipes the wrong way on earlier cars :-\

Thanks, looks like I will have a busy weekend  :y

I haven't done anything to the breathers recently so (maybe) ruling that out....

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 March 2014, 01:26:30 »

first place to start will be at the tank, there should be a vent tube in or near the fuel tank filling pipe and runs to the front wheel arch, check the entire pipe run for pipe being trapped and blocked work methodicly and you should find the problem, as to the breather tubes, its a poss.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #38 on: 16 March 2014, 20:21:51 »

Checked the canister and pipes in wheel arch today. The only pipe that seemed a bit blocked was the short one (about 6 inches long, just exiting in the wheel arch). It may have become a bit blocked with mud as I have no wheel arch liner fitted....

So I cleared this and refitted. The car still struggled a bit starting but then started ticking over fine. Tried driving it and it lost power and cut out again after a street or 2. It did start again though after a couple of attempts. So it is improved but not quite there yet. Tomorrow I will try checking the pipe running from fuel tank to wheel arch.

I have noticed that the filler opening doesn't seem fully seated now, so maybe that pipe is being restricted. Does anyone know what secures the filler opening to the body?

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #39 on: 17 March 2014, 16:57:39 »

All vent pipes from tank to wheel arch canister are clear. Problem is still there, but mainly difficult starting. Once running it doesn't just cut out like it did.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 March 2014, 16:59:11 »

All vent pipes from tank to wheel arch canister are clear. Problem is still there, but mainly difficult starting. Once running it doesn't just cut out like it did.

Is it any better with the filler cap removed ?? If it is, then there is still a vent problem somewhere .. if that makes no difference then it is something else ....

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #41 on: 17 March 2014, 17:18:24 »

Is it any better with the filler cap removed ?? If it is, then there is still a vent problem somewhere .. if that makes no difference then it is something else ....

It now seems to be the same with or without the filler cap fitted. Not sure what to try next now  :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 March 2014, 17:25:42 »

It now seems to be the same with or without the filler cap fitted. Not sure what to try next now  :-\

There is always the possibility that when the tank was evacuated and "sucked in" as you called it, that the internal pickup either moved or was damaged, likewise, possibility of damage to the fuel pump ??  If you have the facilities I would try disconnecting the fuel line at the tank and seeing if fuel flows/pumps at a decent rate .. obviously this needs to be done with great care to avoid fuel spillage/fire risk ....  :-\ :-\ :-\

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #43 on: 17 March 2014, 18:26:37 »

There is always the possibility that when the tank was evacuated and "sucked in" as you called it, that the internal pickup either moved or was damaged, likewise, possibility of damage to the fuel pump ??  If you have the facilities I would try disconnecting the fuel line at the tank and seeing if fuel flows/pumps at a decent rate .. obviously this needs to be done with great care to avoid fuel spillage/fire risk ....  :-\ :-\ :-\

Thanks for the advice, will try and do that as soon as I get chance. Thankfully it is still usable when running on LPG

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 17 March 2014, 20:45:12 »

Depending on the type/location of lpg tank, liberating the petrol pump could be fun :-\

Might be easier to test at the manifold end :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.