Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona virus Europe  (Read 128166 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus Europe
« Reply #195 on: 09 March 2020, 12:49:34 »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he put fuel duty up in the budget.
Me neither. The only thing that may stop him in this budget is the impact it could have on already stretched haulage companies.
It's got to happen, though, you can't bang on about climate change and keep freezing fuel duty.

Not that putting a penny on fuel duty will make an iota of difference to floods, droughts or biblical pestilence.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #196 on: 09 March 2020, 12:53:29 »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he put fuel duty up in the budget.
Me neither. The only thing that may stop him in this budget is the impact it could have on already stretched haulage companies.
It's got to happen, though, you can't bang on about climate change and keep freezing fuel duty.

Not that putting a penny on fuel duty will make an iota of difference to floods, droughts or biblical pestilence.  ::)
In my opinion, not much at all is going to make a difference, but it's a case of showing the buttercups that you're thinking of them.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 09 March 2020, 23:40:33 »

Whole of Italy to be “ locked down”.

Was anyone thinking of venturing abroad at Easter..........?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 10 March 2020, 00:02:02 »

Am i out of order or being racist or any of them new meanings the worlds comes up with by saying "This is all owing to the chinese disgusting eating habits" ? or am i just being naive...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 10 March 2020, 01:10:45 »

Incase anybody is still under the illusion this is like a mild dose of influenza here are some stats on mortality by age group:

Influenza

AgeMortality %
0-40.01
5-170.01
18-490.06
50-640.06
65+0.83

Covid-19

AgeMortality %xTimes More Deadly
0-900
10-190.220
20-290.210
30-390.210
40-490.420
50-591.321.68
60-653.660*
65-693.64.30*
70-798%9.6
80+14.817.8
*statistical anomaly due to the different age bands.

These use the Chinese figures from the Worldometer site which has been updated with some mortality rates for confirmed cases. In the UK there are typically 17,000 additional deaths during the winter Influenza season, mainly in the over 65s. Covid-19 death rates start ramping up from 45 & really accelerate beyond 60-65. Common factors are age, chronic medical conditions & (probably smoking rates (& even if you have given up that increases once below 20 years since you gave up according to NYC heath officials)). I haven't done any back of the envelop calculations here as they certainly won't cheer anybody up, but start adding zeros to 17,000. :o

CountryMale Smoking %X. Confirmed CasesY. RecoveredZ. Deaths(Z / X)%(Z / Y)%(Z / (Y + Z))%
China50%+80,73558,7353,1203.865.315.04
Italy25.49,1727244635.0463.9539.00
South Korea40.77,478118530.7144.9132.91
Iran23.47,1612,3942373.319.809.01
UK16.53211841.2522.2218.18

In the UK those that haven't done their preparation over the last 3 to 5 weeks when it was obvious it was going to get worse & probably be a pandemic, have left it much too late. Fortunately, I was ahead of the curve here with buying 100 disposable masks, 10 x safety glasses, 3 x 500ml sanitiser, 2 x tubs of sanitiser creme (easy to use when out & about), N95/P3 sealing respirator, with case & spare filters, sealing safety goggles, (I always keep a box of 100's disposable gloves to hand for when working on cars etc.), 30-60 at a stretch 90 days of lockdown tinned, dried & frozen food & other essential supplies when there were no shortages or price hikes.

UK confirmed cases are doubling every 3 days, so quarantine will in IMV start within 14 days & as like in Italy death rates will escalate rapidly where the NHS is overwhelmed where beds, but especially ICUs for the 1000's of critical viral pneumonia cases fall well short of demand. It is going to be everybody for themselves, so good luck to all on here. :o :( UK guidelines suggest that ICU use will be decided by patient scoring & those that fall outside of this offered pallitive care while they get on with the inportant job of dying (or if very lucky surviving)! ??? :-[ :( :'(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #200 on: 10 March 2020, 07:41:31 »

You're a ray of sunshine today, Rods!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 10 March 2020, 08:01:35 »

I’ll say cheerio now then. It’s been fun. :y :y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 10 March 2020, 08:05:56 »

Morrisons at Scarborough still had toilet rolls, plenty of whisky but had sold out of rose tinted glasses.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 10 March 2020, 08:51:34 »

I think Rods raises some excellent points  :y
it's a complete SH*Tstorm   :(
I wanted to own a RWD big Vauxhall till the day I die ,not have to drive a FWD euro-****box or van
turns out i probably will , and won't even have to re MOT it  ;D

Be safe out there people ,be extra careful not to spread the snot plague to the old and infirm
oh wait  :-[  that's most of OOF  ;D

but seriously , good luck everyone

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 10 March 2020, 09:43:13 »

I think we all know this is a sh*t sandwich as none of us have any inherent resistance to this new virus! But if you want the real gloomy news Chinese industrial output is down 17.2% in the last quarter, where in comparison we lost ~8% over a year in 2008. The virus is also going to cause an unpresented global recession with the Eurozone the worst placed to weather this. Thank god we have left the EU so we won't get dragged into this, err no, traitors May & Hammond disgracefully, unnecessary, for no UK gain, signed us up for £1tn of EU financial guarantees which will totally fubar our economy as well & take mega high tax generations to pay off. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 10 March 2020, 10:07:59 »

I’m amazed by the attitude that most people seem to give off regarding this whole virus ordeal. Especially those who shrug it off and say something along the lines of “it only affects the elderly or people with underlying health conditions” As if it’s okay for them to die  ??? :-\....... The virus itself has the potential to kill anyone who gets it... If the virus doesn’t take you down that doesn’t mean it’s the end either... As Rods states this will cause a recession that will be felt for years. Well for those who survive it at least.... It’s not everyday you hear a whole country has been put on lockdown for a “common cold”  ::)

At least the government has been giving out useful advice ::). Sing happy birthday and wash your hands.  ;D ...Yeah that will help to a certain degree but it’s airborne as well.

Would also help if people would stay grounded and not go galavanting all over the world. Too late now, But would have potentially helped slow down the spread. But that’s selfish human nature for you.

Anyway, For those who are more at risk take care  :y

STEMO

« Reply #206 on: 10 March 2020, 10:20:36 »

Dear, dear me. We might as well all give up now.

Face masks are useless, by the way  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 10 March 2020, 11:08:47 »

Dear, dear me. We might as well all give up now.

Face masks are useless, by the way  ::)

Err, no they are not, but they are designed protect others from your Covid-19 spreading output & not to protect you, which is also why health workers wear masks to protect you from their germs & viruses. N95/P3 Respirators are not statistically better than face masks, but nobody has actually analysed why? Is it due to poor hygiene after taking them off? No eye protection? They should in theory offer much better protection where they seal your face so 95%+ down to 3 micrometres of particles, germs & viruses are removed when used along with sealing safety goggles and unlike single use masks they are washable with soap & water.

http://emag.medicalexpo.com/which-masks-actually-protect-against-coronavirus/

For those with a Sh*tter account, this is why washing your hands with soap & water (better than sanitisers) is so awesomely effective at the microbiological level in killing Covid-19 & other viruses:

https://twitter.com/PalliThordarson/status/1236549305189597189

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 10 March 2020, 11:41:46 »

Rather than all the pussy footing around abject panic,

If this has a two week shelf life, why not say that for two weeks from April 1st, no one is allowed out. In the meantime commandeer the Heinz factory and deliver 48tins on beans and soup to every vulnerable person and ration sales in retailers so that you can only visit once a week, and then only purchase a maximum of two weeks supplies per household. That way, everyone will have what they need for the two week shut down.

As you can't shoot people yet, declare martial law and quarantine anyone found on the streets during the first two weeks of April and isolate them for a month.

This would also allow companies to prepare to shut down for a fortnight rather than randomly losing staff for two weeks at a time.
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #209 on: 10 March 2020, 11:56:38 »

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=19

I'm honestly getting a little tired of the constant stream (here and elsewhere) of WE ARE ALL DOOMED TO DIE - if we are all that doomed, might as well just hang ourselves now and save the NHS the trouble of having us coughing up blood on a hallway floor, right?

Or, I guess, Al's suggestion. I quite like beans on toast. Going to have to buy a lot of bread, though, and freeze it.. which is exactly what one lady was doing in Morrisons last night - she had a trolley full of bread..
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 78   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.