Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Project? Thread  (Read 5161 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
What is your Project? Thread
« on: 01 May 2018, 13:43:46 »

What is your project? Can be vehicle or other like Fuse 19's house extension.

Haven't had many such threads recently.

Mine is renovating a rural near ruin into some form of habitation. It really is more a life style as we have been doing it for thirteen years. Could have been depressing as the rate of progress is so slow. we are averaging one room/space per year! If you factor in our time , we will never get our money back. Like a lot of projects e.g. car renovations you never get your labour back.

I did try another project a few years back. that was to create an Ebook of derelict rural Spanish properties with a photo or two of each house with an anonymous short write up of who lived there, last year of occupation. Once the roof caves in, the rate of decay is rapid ( a matter of just a few years before there is nothing higher than the front door). I have amassed photos but it is a bit tricky getting the data- understandably. The Spanish authorities discourage folk from living in the countryside as services are expensive to provide. As a result ruins are everywhere.

Anyway just interested what other people are doing.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Project? Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2018, 14:10:16 »

The back garden …………..

I love nice gardens BUT hate gardening with a passion  ;D

Normally if its green, its either a tree, grass or a weed  ;D
Over the last couple of years, i'm determined to learn to be a gardener so I have bought a 2nd hand greenhouse and actually managed to grow things in it that lived more then a few weeks  ;D

I also built a corner flower bed with a rockery about 4 years ago.
THIS YEAR, I put some flowers in it too  :D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2018, 15:09:39 »

1959 108 DMU is the current big job, lots of welding, fabrication, electrical and engine work to do/done.

Extension finished......well as finished as such things ever get (given the wife now wants blinds in MY man cave!)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2018, 15:12:11 »

1959 108 DMU is the current big job, lots of welding, fabrication, electrical and engine work to do/done.

Extension finished......well as finished as such things ever get (given the wife now wants blinds in MY man cave!)

Is that so the neighbours can't see what you get up to in your man cave?  ???  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2018, 15:46:44 »

Is that so the neighbours can't see what you get up to in your man cave?  ???  ::)  ;D

No, its so she cant see what the neighbours get up to in their bedroom  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (apparently it gives me ideas)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2018, 16:13:10 »

You need a man cave like mine - accessed only by a rickety old loft ladder.  :y

Still, it can get hazardous lugging "boat anchor" oscilloscopes up there. ::)

My project? Ermm.. there are one or two in the queue.

Mine is renovating a rural near ruin into some form of habitation. It really is more a life style as we have been doing it for thirteen years.

I'd say it was far from a ruin a couple of years back. ;)

Progress might have been swifter if you'd left the pool and the beer 'fridge until last, mind. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2018, 17:27:01 »

We  have done a lot since then. Tiled the rear patio and put a roof on it 10 by 5 metres. Floored the last third upstairs and subdivided into three rooms, put a window in  and put a bathroom in one.  Built a second garage so we can get our second car in the other one. That was another project. Can't be many folk that spend 12 months searching for a car!

The priorities were right - you can't survive  the summer without a pool and a fridge.  8)

Kevin, have you thought of a small lift to get yourself and your oscilloscopes up there. Now that would be a great project :y
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 17:32:40 by Varche »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2018, 18:45:32 »

My current project is building yet another quad (drone).

I have the frame, motors, props, receiver.  Need to decide which flight controller and speed controllers I fancy, suspect the FPV camera will be another Runcam Swift Micro 2 (or Micro 3 due out very soon).
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2018, 19:47:16 »

My current project is building yet another quad (drone).

I have the frame, motors, props, receiver.  Need to decide which flight controller and speed controllers I fancy, suspect the FPV camera will be another Runcam Swift Micro 2 (or Micro 3 due out very soon).
Micro 3......deffo.  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2018, 20:01:21 »

Looking for a new house, within walking distance of little Miss T’s school.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2018, 20:05:04 »

Looking for a new house, within walking distance of little Miss T’s school.

Just by a range rover for the school run,like everyone else in Surrey, be cheaper than a new house. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2018, 20:27:43 »

Building a wooden model of H.M.S.Victory.It took nearly 2yrs to gather all the bits I figured I'd need and nearly 4yrs from starting the build I've nearly got the hull finished-nearly 3ft from stem to stern post and not including the bowsprit which is not yet installed.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2018, 21:57:23 »

That sounds like a real project. Have you got a photo?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2018, 23:02:48 »

Slowly building a balsa Cessna 177... It might fly one day :-[
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2018, 23:35:32 »

Last month it was the main bedroom. Almost finished, but not quite.
This month the bathroom. Almost finished, but not quite.
This week if the rain stops, put new felt on the 8 x 16 shed as a matter of urgency, as rain is pissing in all over the electrical appliances.
Then  maybe another 6x4 shed to make it possible to tidy up the main shed, by storing a lot of crap in it which cant be chucked away, apparently.  :-X
Then - start on the list of jobs on the cars.
In between going to work of course.
It wont be long before I'm too old to do this stuff. I feel like I already am half the time.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2018, 08:32:20 »

I have two on the go.  One is the move to 'Amurika' which involves DIY, selling house, getting rid of crap, visas, financial planning, work planning (contractor), etc, etc.  The other is almost finished (which started last year) converting a SIB (a small RIB with a solid floor and an inflatable keel) for spearfishing with a custom made console to store the guns along with a 15hp hydrofoiled outboard, boarding ladder, radio and nav light.  To say it goes like stink is an understatement.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2018, 10:29:47 »

My other project is getting the wife fixed and battling the hell of the NHS such that they support the procedure she desperately needs, to address her low blood O2 levels, and that is not routinely funded  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2018, 11:58:09 »

My current list of (half finished) projects....
1. Extend the garage, roof partially done. Need more concrete and a wall or two.
2. My sons bedroom. Currently, no floor boards, no radiator. Some pointing to do, some plastering.
3. MX5 repair. Need to replace the rear quarter panel and then I'd like to put a silly engine in.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2018, 12:45:04 »

My other project is getting the wife fixed and battling the hell of the NHS such that they support the procedure she desperately needs, to address her low blood O2 levels, and that is not routinely funded  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
I have no idea exactly what your wife's problem is, Mark, but surely, if it's affecting her health, then it should be treated.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2018, 13:02:32 »

Now that is worthwhile project, even on a diesel! 8) 8) :D :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2018, 13:05:08 »

Building a wooden model of H.M.S.Victory.It took nearly 2yrs to gather all the bits I figured I'd need and nearly 4yrs from starting the build I've nearly got the hull finished-nearly 3ft from stem to stern post and not including the bowsprit which is not yet installed.

That is my kind of project nowadays, although in my younger times I built many models of ships, trains, planes and historical figures.  My best was the Airfx model of HMS Victory which I fully rigged with my fathers help. 8) ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2018, 13:15:31 »

I'm only allowed one at a time, and I think you all know what that is ;D

Made a little progress on it at the weekend, although I am missing one roll-bar as it's on back order. I'd much prefer an original style 2" bar, but that may be beyond my meagre abilities to sort. We'll see.

Still 100% stuck with the wiring loom, mind.. fscking wiring.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2018, 13:32:41 »

I have no idea exactly what your wife's problem is, Mark, but surely, if it's affecting her health, then it should be treated.

Your assumption is entirely unfounded............sadly.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2018, 13:56:18 »

Are you making your own loom then? The Westfield one was a case of P-clipping it in place, then plugging everything in.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2018, 13:57:15 »

I'm only allowed one at a time, and I think you all know what that is ;D

Made a little progress on it at the weekend, although I am missing one roll-bar as it's on back order. I'd much prefer an original style 2" bar, but that may be beyond my meagre abilities to sort. We'll see.

Excellent.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2018, 15:27:01 »

Are you making your own loom then? The Westfield one was a case of P-clipping it in place, then plugging everything in.

Long story short; (old Dax, pre rebirth) failed to supply a loom after several months (despite it being "on the shelf"), so a chargeback ensued. A couple more months trying to talk to the guy who makes the looms for Dax also resulted in frustration.. so I bought an "off the shelf" universal 12-circuit loom, so it needs some chopping and changing. Not to mention figuring out where the heck to fit the fuse boxes & relays in very little available space :)

Said universal loom didn't come with a wiring diagram, of course, which would have been nice... (From S-V-C)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2018, 16:02:05 »

Long story short; (old Dax, pre rebirth) failed to supply a loom after several months (despite it being "on the shelf"), so a chargeback ensued. A couple more months trying to talk to the guy who makes the looms for Dax also resulted in frustration.. so I bought an "off the shelf" universal 12-circuit loom, so it needs some chopping and changing. Not to mention figuring out where the heck to fit the fuse boxes & relays in very little available space :)

Said universal loom didn't come with a wiring diagram, of course, which would have been nice... (From S-V-C)

Oh, dear. What a PITA.

I think I'd have made myself a CAN bus board for each corner. ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2018, 16:41:20 »

I have used these guys a few times, very very good (and I suspect its where most of the re-sellers get there's from)

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder

They are made on site and very supportive.  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2018, 17:01:13 »

My advice, don't waste your time and energy arguing with them. They are a law unto themselves.
Go private. You shouldn't have to, but the relief from getting proper treatment outweighs the frustration of knowing you shouldn't have had to do it, ime.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2018, 17:02:45 »

I would love to do a kit car, but realistically, I cant see it ever happening. I don't have a garage, and I would imagine its pretty difficult to do without one.  :(

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 02 May 2018, 17:05:51 »

My advice, don't waste your time and energy arguing with them. They are a law unto themselves.
Go private. You shouldn't have to, but the relief from getting proper treatment outweighs the frustration of knowing you shouldn't have had to do it, ime.
The voice of experience. I know what your wife went through, Albs, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Sound advice  :y

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 May 2018, 17:41:40 »

This is my baby project

Friggin love it !

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 May 2018, 18:25:08 »

The voice of experience. I know what your wife went through, Albs, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Sound advice  :y
Yes agreed, some of the operations my wife has needed we have had to go private, if not she would not have had two of them yet...

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 May 2018, 18:50:30 »

A mk5 Transit camper van restoration nearly there :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 May 2018, 20:06:05 »

I'm converting a 2 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom, by chopping the big bedroom in half and moving the bathroom into the new room.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 02 May 2018, 20:15:18 »

I'm converting a 2 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom, by chopping the big bedroom in half and moving the bathroom into the new room.  :)
One of the many in your portfolio?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 May 2018, 20:31:42 »

To increase revenue from new tenants? 
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 May 2018, 08:01:18 »

Now for a few more shocks, I have private cover and it does not cover this (they claim its a condition she had from birth, its not, its something we all have and one that should sort itself by the time your 12 months old).

Then try to pay the NHS to do it (you cant do it in a private hospital as you have to have bypass capability in case of a rare complication occurring), they have no clue how to 'let you pay'

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 May 2018, 08:46:42 »

Now for a few more shocks, I have private cover and it does not cover this (they claim its a condition she had from birth, its not, its something we all have and one that should sort itself by the time your 12 months old).

Then try to pay the NHS to do it (you cant do it in a private hospital as you have to have bypass capability in case of a rare complication occurring), they have no clue how to 'let you pay'

bureaucracy gone mad, hope you get this sorted Mark.
I like red cars

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 May 2018, 18:44:19 »

This sounds a truly awful dilemma to be in.They won't do anything while at the same time they won't let you do anything.As Auto Addict says bureaucracy gone mad >:( >:( Really hope you get something sorted for your lady soonest.best wishes for speedy successful resolution to this :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2018, 20:55:55 »

I've paid privately several times for my first wife for consultations (which is the soviet equivalent of a brown envelope, for the Stalinist NHS ::) ::) ::) and is a useful method of NHS queue jumping where you miss one or more stages of 3-6 month queues :y :y :y and is sometimes with the same consultant you see in his private capacity. ;) ;) ;) ) and for operations for several reasons, not available on NHS (perfectly valid reason), waiting list is unacceptably too long or in one instance, cheapest operation we didn't want and NHS insisted they wouldn't do what we wanted, so when we told them we were getting it done privately, the surgeon didn't like it and said he would do what we wanted if possible, but cheaper version if not, so we went private and the preffered operation was not possible, so had to settle for the easier one, but we know the doctor did his best to perform what was the better but not possible solution, whereas where I didn't trust the NHS I'm not sure I would have been so believing of the NHS one. ??? ??? ??? I've also found private consultations good value for money £50-200, considering the amount of waiting time you are bypassing. :y :y :y At the end of the day you are in effect paying twice, but you have to be pragmatic and play any system to get the best outcome possible, even if not the best value for money. ??? ??? ???

One of the big problems with the NHS is the multiple 3-6 month waiting times for each consultation before you get near to any treatment. If they don't have any budget left each consultation these days will be just inside the NHS waiting limit so the hospital don't get bad rating marks and is often with one with different skills but available, so you are no nearer to getting treatment. :( :( :( This of course has a prfound effect on a persons life if they are incapacitated and/or can't work. >:( >:( >:(

When I'm Health minister in TB's government this will all be fixed of course as part private payment will be not just allowed, but positively encouraged as it will increase the amount spent overall on health. Personally, I can't see any problem in patients paying for the treatment or medicines not available on the NHS and NHS paying for the parts they cover. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2018, 22:02:59 »

Now back on topic.

Finish updating my IT gear, development PC I've got a few bits to still setup likewise with my laptop upgrade. Next is building myself a new Linux server. Setting up a VPN would also be useful for when I'm out and about.

I'm just finishing getting all the bits to fit a new kitchen, which I hope to start on next week.

Next is a summer job, replacing my front flat roof, reboard with TG4 OSB, 75mm high density insulation to cut down on noise, where we are now on the Heathrow landing approach from 4:25am until 11:30pm, which often wakes me up early, new soffit and guttering and rubber roof membrane.

This will be followed by remodelling my upstairs where I have 3 large double bedrooms and a large bathroom. The L shaped bedroom is going to lose the L to make a much smaller but actually better laid out bathroom. The old bathroom will become a 4th double bedroom, which I will setup as a gym. The massive front bedroom wall adjoining the old L shaped bedroom will become a bit smaller (but still double sized bedroom) as two wardrobes and a toy cupboard will be built into this wall, for both bedrooms to have builtin wardrobes. The main bedroom ensuite shower room will become an ensuite bathroom by using the adjacent builtin wardrobe. The other front bedrooms wardrobe over the stairwell will now become the builtin main bedroom's wardrobe. This will make much better use of the upstairs and mainly involves moving, building new stud walls, so is very straight forward. :y :y :y The biggest single cost is going to be the cost from our local Dick Turpin to pass and inspect the building regs. :( Fortunately, a good friend's son has his part P, so I can do the wiring and get him to inspect and sign it off. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.