Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic check  (Read 2213 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Vic check
« on: 20 January 2015, 15:08:14 »

Had it done 11 days ago due to the car being written off as Cat C. Car has been repaired with new MOT. What i am not sure
of is will i receive another V5 document from DVLA stating that the car is Cat C? ???

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Vic check
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2015, 17:18:40 »

I'm pretty sure you will get a V5 with a damage marker on it.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2015, 17:48:33 »

I'm pretty sure you will get a V5 with a damage marker on it.
Precisely...

In the Additional Notes box at the bottom of the front page it will say summat along the lines of the details that you gave when booking the VIC test :y

ie When I booked my estate in, I entered 'Replaced offside rear wing, rear bumper and tailgate due to accident damage' which the DVLA translated to say 'Substantial accident repair to offside rear'

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2015, 20:00:13 »

Had it done 11 days ago due to the car being written off as Cat C. Car has been repaired with new MOT. What i am not sure
of is will i receive another V5 document from DVLA stating that the car is Cat C? ???

1.   Did you buy the car as a Cat. C      or 2.   was it damaged while  in your exisiting ownership ?

If  2.   have you still got the V5 Or have DVLA got it ?   

If they have,   a new one  will be sent out with the damage notification on bottom.

If you still have it  . . . guess they would want it back  before issuing another .

Mine took 14 days, after the check was carried out,  to arrive

Can get frustrating  this VIC  malarkey ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 20 January 2015, 20:03:27 by Essex Big Al »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2015, 20:45:19 »

Damaged in my ownership Al, and yes, i have the original V5.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2015, 20:53:22 »

To add, i thought that i would have to surrender the V5 when i took it for the Vic check, but the examiner didn,t
want any documentation at all.Odd.

powerslinky

« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2015, 21:06:13 »

Umm !  might be worth a call to DVLA to clear this up .
when i  brought my 2.6 a couple of years back  . . . seller neglected to  tell me it had be "uneconomically written off" & he had been paid out for the damage & kept the car.

Only when I sent off the V5 to change to my name  did the DVLA insist on a VIC before they would issue a new V5 to a new owner  (me )

Just interested in wether you were instructed to get a VIC done by DVLA  or did you ask them ?

It seemed to me that the guy I got my 2.6 from   could have just carried on using the car without a VIC & the VIC only arose because he sold it ,

Hope this makes sense  :-\ :-\

powerslinky

« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2015, 21:11:10 »

To add, i thought that i would have to surrender the V5 when i took it for the Vic check, but the examiner didn,t
want any documentation at all
.Odd.

Same here  . . . but did you get the VIC certificate ?

As I see it you possibly don't need a new V5 as you are  still the registered keeper & still using the car   :-\

As said a call to DVLA may sort it  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2015, 21:25:11 »

when i  brought my 2.6 a couple of years back  . . . seller neglected to  tell me it had be "uneconomically written off" & he had been paid out for the damage & kept the car.

Only when I sent off the V5 to change to my name  did the DVLA insist on a VIC before they would issue a new V5 to a new owner  (me )

Just interested in wether you were instructed to get a VIC done by DVLA  or did you ask them ?

It seemed to me that the guy I got my 2.6 from   could have just carried on using the car without a VIC & the VIC only arose because he sold it ,

Absolutely correct... the only reason for having a VIC check is if you wish to sell the car as DVLA will not issue a new V5 without one.   

Mrs E's clit written off 18 months ago, repaired, still being driven without a VIC check, MOT's are fine, Insurance is fine. Why pay for a VIC check, and the fuel to Bristol & back, as well as wasting a day of my life for no purpose ?? Until we decide to sell it .. which may never happen .. it won't be done !!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2015, 13:59:03 »

Absolutely correct... the only reason for having a VIC check is if you wish to sell the car as DVLA will not issue a new V5 without one.   

Mrs E's clit written off 18 months ago, repaired, still being driven without a VIC check, MOT's are fine, Insurance is fine. Why pay for a VIC check, and the fuel to Bristol & back, as well as wasting a day of my life for no purpose ?? Until we decide to sell it .. which may never happen .. it won't be done !!
Both my existing insurer and then the new one both insisted in a Vic check and a new MOT to renew insurance,(it was due a few weeks after the incident). Must say that my new insurers quote was a damn cheaper than the old insurer.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2015, 14:05:15 »

In reply to you Al. Yes, i did get a certificate after he had finished the check, and it was insurance companies that
insisted on on the check, not DVLA.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2015, 16:33:41 »

Just phoned DVLA and they are going to send a new V5. Would they have done that if i hadn,t called them? :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2015, 16:56:44 »

Just phoned DVLA and they are going to send a new V5. Would they have done that if i hadn,t called them? :-\
Yes. For the reasons I explained in my earlier post. The Dvla don't have any influence on the VIC process...

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2015, 19:48:01 »

Just phoned DVLA and they are going to send a new V5. Would they have done that if I hadn,t called them? :-\

Taxi Al says yes  . . .  but I'm not convinced they would have :-\ . . .  as you are already the current V5 holder.

But you have contacted them & they say they will now send you a new one :y  happy days :y

But still can't find anything concrete on the net about having a VIC  done , automatically gets you a new V5

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2015, 21:03:04 »

Just phoned DVLA and they are going to send a new V5. Would they have done that if I hadn,t called them? :-\

Taxi Al says yes  . . .  but I'm not convinced they would have :-\ . . .  as you are already the current V5 holder.

But you have contacted them & they say they will now send you a new one :y  happy days :y

But still can't find anything concrete on the net about having a VIC  done , automatically gets you a new V5
When the car is written off, the V5 is supposed to be surrendered, and a new one issued following a clear VIC :y

I also still have the original V5 for my plod, which to an unsuspecting buyer would suggest that it had no marker on it. The first thing the buyer would know is that when the V5 doesn't turn up, they ring the DVLA and get the notsogood news. That's what happened to EBA iirc :-\

This is the text from a free DVLA check for my car...

✔ SORN

New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details

6 month rate :

12 month rate :

6 monthly by direct debit totalling:

12 monthly by direct debit totalling:

Monthly by direct debit totalling:

Vehicle make :

Date of first registration :

Year of manufacture :

Cylinder capacity (cc) :

CO₂Emissions :

Fuel type :

Export marker :

Vehicle status :

Vehicle colour :

Vehicle type approval :

Wheelplan :

Revenue weight :

Vehicle identity check (VIC) marker.

VIC required

A Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) is required for this vehicle, for further information please visit vehicle identity check
The important bit being the last three lines... The VIC marker is from being officially written off in late 2009, the VIC which generated the marker was completed in Feb 2010. The VIC required stems from being officially written off again in Jan 2014... that it is still required is simply because I have yet to redo it as the car has no MOT to allow me to legally drive it to my nearest VOSA place. When it is rechecked, I expect a new V5 to be issued with both VIC checks to be present in the additional notes on the front page.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.