Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I think I`m becoming a hoarder  (Read 1893 times)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: I think I`m becoming a hoarder
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2013, 23:26:43 »

the problem with 'stuff' is you have to have somewhere to store it.... :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2013, 00:07:02 »

Still got loads of bits off my old 1293 Cooper S racer, plus I just found a pair of 2" SUs on a manifold off an old Riley 2.5 RM !

Ebay calls  ::)

Those Su's must be rare as hens teeth now :o
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2013, 01:29:27 »

Still got loads of bits off my old 1293 Cooper S racer, plus I just found a pair of 2" SUs on a manifold off an old Riley 2.5 RM !

Ebay calls  ::)

Those Su's must be rare as hens teeth now :o

Thats what I'm hoping  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2013, 02:20:52 »

just had to rent another garage my old ones being demolished bloody well expensive after looking around to try and find one that had the hope of keeping the door on for at least a week found two yesterday right next to each other.

£14 plus vat each a week :o :o and that was cheap compared to some quotes

The cost of storing items is not cost effective sometimes.

last time i had a clear out garage was just choc block with all sorts screws locks loads kept asking people to just take it away in the end dumped the lot two van trips nearly 2 tonnes worth, it just was not cost effective to store it or even attempt to sort it out :'( :'(

when i was shopfitting anything left at the end of the job was dumped except plant, the company just did not have any storage, stuff that got thrown was criminal all new

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 March 2013, 13:10:27 »

You can never have enough stuff! ;) :y

Agreed, and the day after you threw that thingimijig that you have been keeping for years out (just in case it will "come in for something") is the day you will need it.

What actually happens if you keep it, along with all the other rubbish you can't bear to throw away, is to spend days digging through mountains of 'that'll come in handy junk' until; you give in and spend £12.37 buying a new one.
I've been there, and done that.
What we(me and the mate I share lockups with) did was to start at the front of the garage and start pulling stuff out. Then we had some simple rules: if we didn't know what it was it was rubbish, and tossed it the back of the car; it was clearly damaged/incomplete it was rubbish; if neither of us had no specific use for it, it was rubbish; occasionally we'd unearth something that would be of use to somebody else, would have their name written on it and given to them ASAP; items that were sellable got put on Ebay/taken to the swapmeet and then thrown away if they didn't sell first time. Be ruthless with these decisions, that's why you don't do it on your own! Any dithering means it is unquestionably rubbish.

We filled my 525 estate up with this crap and took it straight to the tip. Did that twice with just one garage! We found allsorts of stuff: one leaking Sunbeam strut; 3 seized Lucas alternators; 4 different Sierra brake calipers; a rubble bag containing  4 pairs of mk3 Capri taillights - only a hoarder would keep more than one; a broken 100E instrument cluster; a ripped, sky-blue leather Dodge Diplomat front seat - I can't imagine why we even removed it from the car; and so on. I've still got 3 Mopar V8s, a gearbox and back axle and a whole bunch of rebuild parts. They're all for sale if anyone is interested.

Now I finish the job, gather up all the left overs, and dispose of them immediately.

I used to work as a storeman, and was promoted to manager at another depot. The staff moaned that they had no space, but in the first morning I binned 12 Renault van wheels(they hadn't had Renaults for 3 years) with new mud and snow tyres that were the wrong rating; an entire shelf of knackered 9" angle grinders, 20,000 M5x12 setscrews that weren't countersunk(bought in error and not returned), and 4 bins of architrave off cuts(all of them less than 0.5m long). That's not counting the entire shrink-wrapped pallet of 20year old parts that were all unidentified that they had brought with them when they'd moved  4years earlier. In my office I found a 3 tier carousel with 6 years each of HSS, Travis Perkins, Builder Centre and Wurth catalogues, plus the wiring specs for the previous building and a filing cabinet with the paperwork for the Renault vans. All this stuff went straight in the skip. For a month I had storemen asking what I wanted to do with the latest pile of junk that they'd found. It turned out that they weren't short of space at all!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.