Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which windscreen ?  (Read 6413 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Which windscreen ?
« on: 05 September 2018, 19:47:15 »

How do I get, or should I say Autoglass get,  the correct screen for a 2001 Y reg 2.6 CDX

Autoglass are asking me questions about the new screen I need .

Does it have a rain sensor ?  . . .No too early for that

Does it have a "blue" strip at the top ?     Yes blue . ish   ( sort of sunstrip I would call it )

Had a call from a young lady this afternoon , saying they are stuggling to find the correct windscreen

It seems VIN  No.  or screen "bug"  details will not help them either   :o :o :o

Anyone know what info i  have to give them to point them to the right one ?

Not even sure they know what they are doing actually.   >:( >:( >:(

my screen "bug"  says this :                    FJ(logo)
                                                             Laminated
                                                           M858     AS1
                                                   E1    DOT - 459
                                                              43R - 001563
                                                                 3  . . . . .

What they gonna be like fitting it  . . .if they don't even know which screen they need  . . .scary  :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 20:03:27 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Which windscreen ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2018, 20:04:13 »

Maybe you should check with another company? Just changed the windscreen on my 95 mv6 here in norway last week. He asked rainsensor and coulour questions over the phone but i was not shure of which options where on different omegas. So he said no problem, i will just check the system for which screen the car was delivered with when it was new. When i picked up the car it had the exact same screen. Only difference was it didnt have a big crack in it anymore:p

Edit: only info i gave the company that did my windscreen was the cars license plate number.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 20:05:59 by MonzaGSE »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2018, 20:09:25 »

Maybe you should check with another company? Just changed the windscreen on my 95 mv6 here in norway last week. He asked rainsensor and coulour questions over the phone but i was not shure of which options where on different omegas. So he said no problem, i will just check the system for which screen the car was delivered with when it was new. When i picked up the car it had the exact same screen. Only difference was it didnt have a big crack in it anymore:p

Edit: only info i gave the company that did my windscreen was the cars license plate number.

Exactly what I thought they would be doing .     They have VIN n0.   but said screen "bug" details are no help .

All a bit strange if you ask me .   screen is being done by insurance company nominated contractor. Autoglass.
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2018, 20:26:52 »

When I had mine done last year, everybody I spoke to at Autoglass went through the same spiel of what screen it needed. It seems that none of them pass the information on to the person that needs it: the poor sod whose actually going to order it. Their admin was shit.

The fitter(once the appointment was finally made) was excellent, but it was seriously hard work getting him to the car!

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2018, 20:47:37 »

Had a very similar situation here.

First screen they arrived with had No rain sensor despite me advising them existing had.They then tried to get out of replacing "like for like" as mine has the more expensive heat reflective treatment and they told me as it was a German factor order they would just fit the std no heat reflective screen.

I promptly reminded them I was the customer..the insurance were footing the bill(less my excess) so to get the screen correct for my car. >:(

7 days later 2 guys arrived with the screen and promptly moaned form start to finish how difficult it was to fit and how heavy the screen was....tough!!!.When I told the guy who seemed to be the "senior fitter " he promptly appeared with a rubber mallet and started bashing them into the trim.I did say they wouldnt stay in place but he said that is how they always do them :o and carried on.

The following day we were off on holiday and half way along the M4 the entire sscreen trim let go and disappeared into the distance never to be seen again ,so as the screen was water tight waitied till we returned 12 days later and contacted Auto Shite again.

This time the nicest guy you could possible met arrived the following day.Promptly advised he had fitted lots of Omega screens over the years and had to refit almost the same number after fitters who didnt know what they were doing had tried.Entire screen was removed again and fitted correctly with the trims and fittings in place and for the past 2 years have had no further issues.

Its all down to the guy fitting it tbh...all omega screens are the same with the exception of having/not having rain sensitive section.All have a shade band of varying colours and the heat reflective screen was a very expensive factory option.

Bets of luck and insist on getting a fitter who knows how to fit them properly and ensure he brings the full fitting kit including all trims and you should be fine :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2018, 22:08:20 »

Screens might be in stock at Vauxhall... no excuse for them to not provide one just because their chosen supplier doesn't have stock...

Might as well get the Solar reflective one as, a)it won't cost you any more; and b)for all the hoops you have to jump through to accommodate their utter incompetence, you might as well get a decent screen ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2018, 22:34:35 »

When I had to replace the windscreen on my 2001 3.2 Elite, I didn't want Autoglass doing it (bad previous experiences...) and Vauxhall told me there were two windscreens for Omegas whether fitted with rain sensors or not - heat absorbing and a heat reflecting. I understand the heat reflecting has a blueish haze to it when viewed from outside the car, and it looks like diesel on a wet road (if that makes sense) which wasn't the same as the original one. I bought my own heat absorbing pre rain sensor windscreen from Vauxhall, part no. 90457721, and it was correct for the car. It had the standard slight 'sun strip' at the top, and the rest looked like normal clear glass. It was fitted at Vauxhall using new VX  rubbers. The insurance then refunded me the cost of the job.
I have since bought a 2003 3.2 Elite for parts which has had a replacement screen in the past, and it has a distinctively reflective blue mirror like appearance across the whole screen from the outside. Just doesn't look right at all.
For what its worth on rain sensor cars, the heat reflecting screens (with the blue reflective haze) is part no. 24433002 whilst the clear heat absorbing screen (which the majority of cars have) is part no 24433003. 
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2018, 23:13:14 »

The Elite came with the heat reflecting screen as standard ;)

I had one fitted to my plod when the need arose... fitter spotted that the old screen was different and lacked a rain sensor, but it was politely pointed out that the car had said sensor plugged in and trim fitted... :D

He couldn't argue with the fact both mirror and sensor were plugged in ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2018, 23:48:43 »

This was the replacement non heat reflecting screen fitted to my 2001 3.2 Elite, which was identical to the original screen in it from new -

90457721   161030 WINDSCREEN,LAMINATED,TINTED (IDENT GM) (EXC.HEAT REFLECTIVE WINDSCREEN) (EXCEPT RAIN SENSOR)

This is the 'non blue haze' windscreen as fitted to pre rain sensor cars including the Elite described above as 'EXC.HEAT REFLECTIVE WINDSCREEN'.

The parts lists aren't the easiest to follow but if you don't want a blue mirror / reflective finish on your replacement windscreen when viewed from outside, then this is the one to fit.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2018, 00:17:42 »

As mentioned elsewhere, I had my screen changed by autoglass yesterday. I filled in a form online giving my reg number and a fitter turned up and did an excellent job of fitting the screen. I was surprised to see him fitting a reflective screen as I didn't know the car had one fitted, but apparently it did.
A rare pleasant surprise.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2018, 07:48:29 »

Had one done on my estate by RAC autowindscreens.
Car had to have the screen surround repainted because of the damage caused by autoglass previously.
They attended the paint shop to remove with them due back two days later to refit.
They said there was no problem as it helped them out as they were busy
The paint shop phoned me the day after it was supposed to have the replacement done saying they had not turned up.
After lengthy phone calls to them and then the insurance company, they had to admit that they didn't actually have a screen in stock in the UK
This was in the week leading up to Christmas
They then had to provide me with a hire car for the whole of the Christmas break.
I was due at an MOT station after the screen was supposed to be fitted
They also paid for the MOT that had to be done in January
In the meantime, the insurance company asked if I would be able to find an independent to do a screen
The paintshop had already spoken to their indy and he had one.
Insurance company could not believe how cheap he was to supply and fit
Since then, I have not used the insurance company's fitters, but had there blessing to use independent fitters

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2018, 11:49:11 »

Insurance company could not believe how cheap he was to supply and fit

When I needed a new screen on my Omega, the insurance policy I had at the time didn't cover windscreens. I phoned Autoglass for a quote and she said it would be £750! Once I had picked myself off the floor and told her that was outrageous, she said that they could do it for £500! Instantly knocking £250 off!  ::)

I got it done at a local windscreen place with no hassles for £140!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2018, 13:26:57 »

If you don't have windscreen cover, then independent fitters are extremely good value.  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2018, 16:55:30 »

I was quoted £600.00 by auto grass went independent excellent job.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2018, 18:53:48 »

Getting a bit stressed out by this Autoglass shambles now .  They called me this afternoon saying the screen has been identified & ordered  today  . . .but they cannot tell me when it will  br in stock & available to fit  :o :o

Probably gonna call insurance company tomorrow & try & get a different company to do it  >:( >:(

would i recommed Autoshite ?   NO . . .NEVER !
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.