Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15419 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #120 on: 28 August 2020, 22:05:29 »

Oh yes that’s pretty often these days😟
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 28 August 2020, 22:47:27 »

You presume that it's always a truck at the front of the queue.

Someone doing 65 in lane 3 will screw up a perfectly good four lane motorway  :-X

And it only takes one fool trying to do 85 in heavy traffic to cause hours of delays.

Perhaps trucks should be the only traffic on dual carriageways(etc) during normal working hours? Say 08:00 until 17:30.

They are professionals at work after all....

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 28 August 2020, 23:02:08 »

As I said earlier, I spent 20 years working with truck drivers, and although some of them were great, professional isnt a word I would use to describe most of them.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 28 August 2020, 23:03:22 »

Someone doing 65 in lane 3 will screw up a perfectly good four lane motorway  :-X

I dont presume that. When its a truck the truck is pretty visible.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 28 August 2020, 23:23:35 »

And it only takes one fool trying to do 85 in heavy traffic to cause hours of delays.

Perhaps trucks should be the only traffic on dual carriageways(etc) during normal working hours? Say 08:00 until 17:30.

Everyone who drives a company car/van/wagon is a professional driver, are they not?  If you are being paid a wage whilst driving, surely that makes you a 'professional'.

I was travelling up the A36 earlier.  A very large, brand new Tractor towing a massive harvesting attachment.  Had Ambers front and rear (a couple of transit vans).  These guys are obviously professional drivers (as it's their job).  So why run at 3pm on a frickin Friday afternoon????  Short stretches of 2-lane, artics attempting to pass, but cannot due to the width of this thing.

Poole to Bristol, usually 2hrs.  I clocked 3hrs 12mins because of this.

Why not run it at 8pm, or 5am????????????
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 29 August 2020, 12:00:30 »

Food production os somewhat seasonal and weather driven...

A minor and temporary inconvenience. Alot of the UK asparagus production happens around here, so I sympathise with the sentiment but try to be tolerant to it.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 30 August 2020, 09:36:50 »

What would the virtue signalling vegans do without their Asparagus, after all. Important stuff. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 30 August 2020, 16:22:14 »

Everyone who drives a company car/van/wagon is a professional driver, are they not?  If you are being paid a wage whilst driving, surely that makes you a 'professional'.

I was travelling up the A36 earlier.  A very large, brand new Tractor towing a massive harvesting attachment.  Had Ambers front and rear (a couple of transit vans).  These guys are obviously professional drivers (as it's their job).  So why run at 3pm on a frickin Friday afternoon????  Short stretches of 2-lane, artics attempting to pass, but cannot due to the width of this thing.

Poole to Bristol, usually 2hrs.  I clocked 3hrs 12mins because of this.

Why not run it at 8pm, or 5am????????????

I agree as someone who clocked up 950,000+ logged miles in company cars traveling all over the UK, plus another 200,000+  private journey miles.  I was a "professional driver", and most of the time I found other professional, lorry drivers, who drove for a living good drivers.

But, it was never their own, individual professionalism or not that worried me but the state of the lorry drivers vehicles, especially as in 1979 I escaped being killed by one that was dangerously unfit for the road.  It happened when travelling between Lymington in Hampshire and Christchurch, Dorset.

On a old winding road, now replaced, I passed a rigid 4 axle 30 tonne truck, loaded to the brim with ballast, coming out of a side road from a quarry / depot.  Shortly after that I was going down a small hill and had to stop in a queue of traffic waiting at light controlled road works.  Then THAT lorry came into view in my mirror, or rather screamed into view with his brakes making me well aware he was there.  Traffic was coming up the single laned road as this thing very quickly got larger in my mirror, with me trapped with an embankment on my right, and traffic coming up the hill.  His brakes were now making a hell of a noise and I just knew he could not stop.........................he loomed very large in my mirror as I waited for impact in my Ford Cortina Estate Mk4.  Just as I thought he was going to hit me, he veered out onto the other side of the road which miracrously had now emptied of traffic.  With his brakes now not only screaming, but giving off a terrible smell he went passed me...passed the car in front, then the one in front of him, passed the next one, then the next, until finally stopping half way past the final vehicle in the queue!

In almost shock I started to move down the hill with the other vehicles and past the lorry, and I could see the driver was looking absolutely shocked.  The last I saw of him was as he very slowly moved his truck into a layby and stopped.  I can only imagine what his thoughts had been, but he would have survived, something I knew me and the other occupants of the cars in front of me would not have done if his grossly overloaded and I am sure defective truck had struck us.............30+ tonnes of overloaded vehicle, travelling about 40 miles an hour hitting the rear of a flimsy Ford Cortina Estate...................I would have been flattened, along with others!!

I have never forgotten that moment as it is one of the most "nearlies" I have encountered driving, so it not only the standard of driving ability but the commercial vehicles condition that will always concern me. 

Fast forward to 2016 and the terrible Bath tipper truck accident that killed four, with a car crushed and two pedestrians, including a child, wiped out, due to having faulty brakes.  That accident really rammed home what could have happened to me and still can to others when defective vehicles are driven on our roads by "professional" drivers :'( :'(
« Last Edit: 30 August 2020, 16:25:54 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 30 August 2020, 17:55:06 »

The driver of the Bath tipper lacked the age or experience to be considered professional, and naively found himself working for a shockingly poor company.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 30 August 2020, 19:56:50 »

The driver of the Bath tipper lacked the age or experience to be considered professional, and naively found himself working for a shockingly poor company.

Indeed, and with many dangerously defective vehicles :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 30 August 2020, 20:53:26 »

If my memory is correct, basically, the tipper was coming down hill,fully frighted, with a inexperienced new pass, and run out of brakes,,  The company were prosecuted for falsification of maintenance records.  I could be wrong, somebody will know doubt ask auntie Google, just to make the point..

Again Lizzy, in 1979 tipper haulage was worse than international haulage, but you probably find that he ran out off brakes,, which tippers did regularly, there was a similar crash in Sowerby Bridge, again tipper.
Hoof'land storeman.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 30 August 2020, 20:55:10 »

You never know the condition of the vehicles, or the drivers for that matter, that are on the same stretch of road as yourself.  ???

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 31 August 2020, 19:55:38 »

If my memory is correct, basically, the tipper was coming down hill,fully frighted, with a inexperienced new pass, and run out of brakes,,  The company were prosecuted for falsification of maintenance records.  I could be wrong, somebody will know doubt ask auntie Google, just to make the point..

Again Lizzy, in 1979 tipper haulage was worse than international haulage, but you probably find that he ran out off brakes,, which tippers did regularly, there was a similar crash in Sowerby Bridge, again tipper.

No, both the owner and chief mechanic were convicted of manslaughter due to the appalling lack of maintenance on the lorry that crashed but also other vehicles in their fleet.  I remember seeing pictures of brake and suspension components, corroded and defective, that the DVSA inspectors had found and presented to court.  The poor inexperienced driver of the Bath crash was found to be not at fault, and indeed even a very experienced driver would have struggled to stop the crash from happening on that hill ;)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2020, 19:59:30 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 31 August 2020, 20:20:44 »

That's true justice and hopefully he will learn to make better choices ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 01 September 2020, 11:49:37 »

Well last day in Cornwall , have driven almost 1000 miles on all types of roads with the twin axle caravan in tow have passed HGVs & they've passed me all without incident, so I'm obviously doing everything right..😎
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.