Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new 2.6 V6 to the forum!  (Read 4079 times)

M20RUM

• Milton Keynes
    • 2003 Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
A new 2.6 V6 to the forum!
« on: 16 September 2018, 18:46:31 »

Hi everyone,

Pleased to say I've just picked up a wonderful 2003 2.6 V6 Elite, for just £590! Always been a Vauxhall head but have spent the last view years rolling around in a blasted Mercedes  ::)

Nice to be back in Thames Valley Police's favourite fast VX!

With just a mere 138,000 on the clock and zero service history it was an absolute punt, I've got a few questions for you guys though....

Cambelt, the seller tells me "he thinks  :o" that Cambelt and pump were done recent...ish - is there a quick way to inspect the belt on the V6 engine? and should the worst happen is it an engine that can survive or one that clatters into itself causing fatal destruction?

Headunit, poor old Omega has had a few hours or weeks unpowered and the Headunit is in "Safe" mode, which I assume means it needs an unlock code - not sure if there is a universal solution to this but I'd quite like to change the stereo for something a little more touchy feely & bluetoothy, its double DIN but I do notice also tapered, would a standard double DIN unit fit or would it have to be specific to OMEGAs or am I just better off finding a fascia and getting a single DIN unit?

Slight knock, I'm putting it up on the lifts tomorrow to have a good look at the bushes as I suspect there are a couple that are likely to be a little perished causing a little bit of noise in the suspension department, is there any other common faults I should look for or preventative treatments underneath I should take? The tracking is also rather adrift.

Exhaust, the induction noise is fantastic but sadly its ending up through the little pea shooter exhaust, any recommendations on possibly going twin pipe subtly and getting a bit of a burble and pop from it? are there retro fit options for a twin pipe or back box suppliers anyone can recommend?

That's about it! I'd also be quite keen to here Omega owners favourite mods to bring FN03 up to spec and become an active member of the forum, hopefully keeping the "beast" going for another 138,000 miles!

Matt

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: A new 2.6 V6 to the forum!
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2018, 19:10:03 »

Hello and welcome to OOF :y Looks to be a fine example that. If the cam belt lets go[although I believe it's more usually the tensioners/rollers that are the culprit]then the valves take a battering as it's an "interference" engine.The exhaust is a twin system all the way until they merge into the back box,the 3L/3.2L got a twin outlet back box although I don't think even these would give you the sound you're after.I'm sure others will be along to advize better and answer your other questions,but the radio as is would need the correct 4 digit code entering to work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2018, 19:53:47 »

Inspecting the cambelt is a waste of time, either replace it or don't worry about it.

At that mileage, a complete front suspension rebuild would be a good idea - shocks, strut bearings, top mounts, new wishbones(with poly front bushes) droplinks and track rods. That will then require an alignment by someone who knows what they're doing.

Exhaust, the twin backboxes are still quiet and refined which is major characteristic of the car. Why spoil it?

Remove the coil packs and check for water in the plugwells

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2018, 19:56:33 »

Welcome  :)
auto or manual ? if auto you should consider doing a gearbox fluid and filter change as you have no history  :y
cambelt you could check for play in tensioners but by the time you have it that far apart, a new belt kit would probably be wise and a water pump is very cheap too.
there are adaptor plates to convert a standard oblong double din to fit
(I did swap mine out ,for a cheap 7" touchscreen head unit so i could have reverse camera and DVR ,plus mp3 music collection)

there are more expensive android units available shaped to fit the omega  :y
would be wise to check over the underside of your new omega and get some rust prevention done  :y
there are plenty of guides and lots of helpful advice on here  :)

I don't think Thames Valley Police used 2.6 elites  ;D
probably base models modified to their requirements and built to spec as special order, no leather seats etc
or maybe i'm talking like a tango whiskey alpha tango  ;D

M20RUM

• Milton Keynes
    • 2003 Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2018, 20:50:46 »

Thanks everyone, so it is an indeed an interference engine, I've sourced a belt and pump for £43 (new) i'll hunt out some tensioner's and pulleys! and do the whole lot.

Also drain, change and replace the gearbox fluid & filter, is this all engine bay based (its an auto)!

As for the suspension will get it up in the air tomorrow and have a good look around, nothing a bit of KURUST and a jolly good hammerite'ting can't fix probably can't afford a whole front suspension rebuild but can imagine the lump puts a whole load of strain on the standard stuff, will do it bit by bit!

Do you have a link for a double din cheapy fascia to make a unit fit?

And well, would love to have an exhaust that could just show these euro 5 german cars burbling and popping around what a proper V6 sounds like!

Thanks
Matt

« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 20:52:26 by M20RUM »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2018, 21:08:01 »

depends on your dash shade ?
something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DFP-19-00DG-Double-Din-Dark-Grey-Fascia-Facia-Adaptor-Panel-For-Vauxhall-Omega/250570096417?hash=item3a57243f21:g:ZLcAAOSwQjNW8qBW
but there are about 4 shades of grey/silver
I got the shade sent wrong BUT will paint it black anyway to match the stereo
if you want to keep steering wheel controls vol + - etc then choose wisely which head unit ,plus you may need a loom adapter
all simple plug and play stuff though mostly  :y
may be worth asking the previous owner if hhe has the radio code and car pass though for future use  :y 
gearbox fluid filter change is in the guide / help section , requires jacking up the car ,removing 2 gearbox sumps  ;)
filter is about £10, and 8.8 L of dex 3 can be had for £40

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2018, 21:14:29 »

Thanks everyone, so it is an indeed an interference engine, I've sourced a belt and pump for £43 (new) i'll hunt out some tensioner's and pulleys! and do the whole lot.

Also drain, change and replace the gearbox fluid & filter, is this all engine bay based (its an auto)!

As for the suspension will get it up in the air tomorrow and have a good look around, nothing a bit of KURUST and a jolly good hammerite'ting can't fix probably can't afford a whole front suspension rebuild but can imagine the lump puts a whole load of strain on the standard stuff, will do it bit by bit!

And well, would love to have an exhaust that could just show these euro 5 german cars burbling and popping around what a proper V6 sounds like!

Doing the front suspension bit by bit is expensive in time and money. Leave it alone until you can afford all the parts and do it in one go. That way you'll only spend a couple of hours per side, rather than a couple of hours each time.

It does sound like a proper V6, a quiet refined one!

As for the stereo, if your car is an Elite then you'll have to replace the speakers and wire around the Bose components.

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2018, 20:37:41 »

Hello and welcome to the forum  :y. Great looking car  :y

M20RUM

• Milton Keynes
    • 2003 Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2018, 12:33:55 »

Thanks for all the welcome's guys, 500 miles into Omega ownership now - all going well.....ish!

Have repaired the bonnet release and adjusted the cable (thanks to the how to section!)

Have discovered a little issue with the locking/immobiliser - basically when ever I hit the central locking button all doors lock except the drivers - I then have to do it manually and unlock it manually (with the key) that makes the hazards go on a fast flash until I turn the ignition on - also one key doesn't appear to be recognised by the ignition barrel and the immobiliser kicks in if I use it, anyone got any info on the system or the gremlins that can come with it?

I did indeed pull out the old stereo, it wasnt in good shape and have ordered an android job with wifi and bluetooth together with one of those OBD reader things so I can keep an eye on fault codes as and inevitably when they come up! - Whats the situation with aftermarket stereos working with the bose components?

I bought the fascia, terrible colour match too so rubbed it down with some soapy wire wool from a 29p pack of ten from Asda and am spraying it up today (£6 for gloss black paint and semi matt laquer from eurocarparts!)

Also.....with regards to the side lights....do these twist out or do you just pull on them to remove?

Matt

« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 12:36:04 by M20RUM »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2018, 15:28:11 »

Welcome to OOF . . .now that you have joined  . . .best to place all of your questions regarding the issues you have with your car ,  in the relevant sections , you will get much better response there to your problems . ;) ;) 

Also the "search" feature works wonders for most queries  :y
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 15:30:38 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2018, 15:58:32 »

welcome to the forum! Looks like most has been answered already, but looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Welcome!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2018, 20:23:13 »

The locking and hazard oddity is:

Door lock motor in that door is shagged. Easy fix with a £2 switch - see Guides section
Your alarm horn is shagged - replace...   ...and rip out the electronic power sounder whilst you're at it.

Help questions will get better answered in the Help sections :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.