Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Major Service deep end again  (Read 15303 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: In the Major Service deep end again
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2018, 21:09:35 »

Ebay have set of new if you need them in the future..302464175896

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2018, 21:57:34 »

All the VX oil drain plugs I have seen have been Torx not Alan?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2018, 22:35:55 »

I had a 2.5 petrol Omega saloon, right hand drive, badged as an Opel, with an external hexagon oil drain plug.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2018, 22:40:34 »

Ebay have set of new if you need them in the future..302464175896

Thanks amba :-* :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2018, 22:44:18 »

Indeed, you are right comes to think about it, my other Omega's did.  But today it was the Allen key that worked! :o :y

Believe me it has been a strange bastard day when nothing seemed right!  Am I getting too old for all this; a woman at 65 just shouldn't, but hey ho, I do not like the big garage bills :P :P

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 September 2018, 22:53:52 »

Fair play to you,Lizzie,for having a go and just think of all that money you are saving and the certain knowledge that the work is done the way you want it to be  :y

Some days just go like that ..1 step forward and several back ..as long as you get there in the end that's all that matters and is quite satisfying  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 September 2018, 22:55:52 »

...........Whilst on the subject of what I found today that seemed very different to past 3.0 and 2.6. Omega's I have worked on...............

The cable tray over the passenger spark plug bank seemed in the way far more than normal.  In the past I have managed to pull it up and tie it so I can work underneath on the plugs and cam covers, but this model gives me a distinct lack of options. I may want to work on the cam covers, but with this cable tray it is near on impossible without removing it, and dealing with the spark plug right at the rear on the passenger side has caused me very real difficulties. :o

Is there a way you can disconnect the ruddy cable tray and move it away from the area?

Do you know, in all honesty, I wish I had'nt started this today. I'm tired, have a half dismantled top half of the engine - at least I have re-installed the fuel intake assembly -  on a car siting useless in the garage!!! >:( >:(

Who'd be a mechanic eh? ::) ::) ;)

Oh yes, with everything else, almost forgot.  The plug wells were full of oil!!! >:(

Hence my question about getting to the cam covers.

Lord Opti are you interested in a defunct car? ???

:D :D ;)
« Last Edit: 24 September 2018, 23:00:06 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 September 2018, 23:16:55 »

Fair play to you,Lizzie,for having a go and just think of all that money you are saving and the certain knowledge that the work is done the way you want it to be  :y

Some days just go like that ..1 step forward and several back ..as long as you get there in the end that's all that matters and is quite satisfying  :)

Thanks amba, yes usually with every car repair / maintenance I have undertaken in the past on many vehicles all goes well and I get that great boost of satisfaction at the end.  But today, on this Omega, it was all such hard and frustrating work.

The trouble is I have the cam belt and those wishbones to be fitted, which I am certainly NOT doing myself! :D :D :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 September 2018, 23:26:49 »

The cable tray over the passenger spark plug bank seemed in the way far more than normal.  In the past I have managed to pull it up and tie it so I can work underneath on the plugs and cam covers, but this model gives me a distinct lack of options. I may want to work on the cam covers, but with this cable tray it is near on impossible without removing it, and dealing with the spark plug right at the rear on the passenger side has caused me very real difficulties. :o

Is there a way you can disconnect the ruddy cable tray and move it away from the area?

Do you know, in all honesty, I wish I had'nt started this today. I'm tired, have a half dismantled top half of the engine - at least I have re-installed the fuel intake assembly -  on a car siting useless in the garage!!! >:( >:(

Who'd be a mechanic eh? ::) ::) ;)

Oh yes, with everything else, almost forgot.  The plug wells were full of oil!!! >:(

Hence my question about getting to the cam covers.

Lord Opti are you interested in a defunct car? ???

:D :D ;)

I've always fully removed the cable tray when doing anything on that bank, not doing so risks damaging the loom or plugged connections by putting undue strain on them to my mind.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 September 2018, 23:40:23 »

Who'd be a mechanic eh? ::) ::) ;) .....

If it's any consolation, I removed the door mirror of my Merc (which involves removing the door card) to try to sort the folding mirror. It needs a new/another mirror. So my car is sat on my drive till I sort AN Other, Merc want £260 just for the innards  ??? .... so I'll be sorting one from eBay.

And I'm in work tomorrow  :'( :'(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 September 2018, 00:19:36 »

There's a guide for moving the tray...

There more I read the more concerned I get.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 September 2018, 07:07:46 »

I'll pm my real address ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again  :-* :-* :y
no worries
got your pm , will pm you when in post  ;)

[
Sorry Dave for being bloody cheeky, but I found overnight that another one of those rubber sp sleeves is split. 

Could I be so bold as to ask if you could send two?

Please let me know how much you want for them and I will send you the money.  Please do not be out of pocket on my account! :D :y

Many thanks

Lizzie  :-* :-* :-*
[/quote]

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 September 2018, 08:40:33 »

Best advise Lizzie is to remove the entire cable tray,then you will be able to bundle the wires with couple of bits of string and tie them out of the way to bonnet strut or similar that way you then have good access to the 2/4/6 bank.

If you have found oil in the plug wells it sounds like you will be doing the cam cover seals whilst your at it now as pointless just doing plugs with leaky seals.. >:(

Another day and a fresher look should see you in a better frame of mind to get on with things although you will probably need to order the cam cover seals/0 rings and sealant,as doudt Caffyns would stock them all now, so plans may stop for a while.

Bones and belt set would be wise seeking the advise of friendly forum member imho.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 September 2018, 09:48:59 »

To be honest, if the boots are split due to oil immersion then you usually find the Dispacks aren't much longer for this World. You can get genuine Bosch Dispacks at reasonable prices now - ie. Cheaper than VX trade / trade club discount.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 September 2018, 10:25:46 »

Yes quite true..coils could well be originals and being "oil bathed" does them no good.Lucky you caught them Lizzie before probable misfires and poor running ..or worse.

Available... 382570247720 & 183446810113....might get a deal for the pair as I would be suggesting both sides are done along with both sets of gaskets  if you want to be totally sure :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.