Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Major Service deep end again  (Read 15323 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: In the Major Service deep end again
« Reply #30 on: 25 September 2018, 11:33:32 »

The thing is, for the sake of another £70ish for the passenger bank Dispack when you have just paid out for camcover gaskets etc plus the time to dismantle all the cable tray again to fit it is a no brainer to me. While the Dispack may be fine at the moment, it's life will have been decreased significantly. I only say the above having been through it multiple times.

Obviously the drivers side is a 2 min job with nothing else to dismantle so not a big issue to sort.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 September 2018, 12:10:59 »

The cable tray over the passenger spark plug bank seemed in the way far more than normal.  In the past I have managed to pull it up and tie it so I can work underneath on the plugs and cam covers, but this model gives me a distinct lack of options. I may want to work on the cam covers, but with this cable tray it is near on impossible without removing it, and dealing with the spark plug right at the rear on the passenger side has caused me very real difficulties. :o

Is there a way you can disconnect the ruddy cable tray and move it away from the area?

Do you know, in all honesty, I wish I had'nt started this today. I'm tired, have a half dismantled top half of the engine - at least I have re-installed the fuel intake assembly -  on a car siting useless in the garage!!! >:( >:(

Who'd be a mechanic eh? ::) ::) ;)

Oh yes, with everything else, almost forgot.  The plug wells were full of oil!!! >:(

Hence my question about getting to the cam covers.

Lord Opti are you interested in a defunct car? ???

:D :D ;)

I've always fully removed the cable tray when doing anything on that bank, not doing so risks damaging the loom or plugged connections by putting undue strain on them to my mind.
Good advice. That involves removing the lid of the cable tray and getting all the cables out, then tying them out of the way. Before removing the cables from the tray I recommend noting where they all emerge from the tray, otherwise you will struggle to put them back correctly.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 September 2018, 12:23:30 »

Photo,s on a phone are your friend if you are pulling things apart for the first time,Lizzie.

It is quite obvious though where things go back,but the job is a whole lot easier with the tray and wiring pulled well away.

Do cam cover seals on that side along with ignition coil to be certain  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 September 2018, 12:34:16 »

There's a guide for moving the tray...

There more I read the more concerned I get.

Thanks for those words of encouragement! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

You are right though DG; at the moment I am feeling it just can't get any worse.  Fed up and pissed off!! :'( :'( :'(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 September 2018, 12:35:00 »

To be honest, if the boots are split due to oil immersion then you usually find the Dispacks aren't much longer for this World. You can get genuine Bosch Dispacks at reasonable prices now - ie. Cheaper than VX trade / trade club discount.

Irt is all getting worse!! :'( :'(

But thanks! :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 September 2018, 12:36:03 »

Best advise Lizzie is to remove the entire cable tray,then you will be able to bundle the wires with couple of bits of string and tie them out of the way to bonnet strut or similar that way you then have good access to the 2/4/6 bank.

If you have found oil in the plug wells it sounds like you will be doing the cam cover seals whilst your at it now as pointless just doing plugs with leaky seals.. >:(

Another day and a fresher look should see you in a better frame of mind to get on with things although you will probably need to order the cam cover seals/0 rings and sealant,as doudt Caffyns would stock them all now, so plans may stop for a while.

Bones and belt set would be wise seeking the advise of friendly forum member imho.

Thanks amba :y.  Cam cover seals are now £66 from Vx :'( :'(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 September 2018, 12:40:47 »

Yes quite true..coils could well be originals and being "oil bathed" does them no good.Lucky you caught them Lizzie before probable misfires and poor running ..or worse.

Available... 382570247720 & 183446810113....might get a deal for the pair as I would be suggesting both sides are done along with both sets of gaskets  if you want to be totally sure :y

Indeed, she has been running extremely well with no clue at all of cam cover gasket failure / oil in wells! ;)

The Vx dealer can take the problem on for the tune of £466 all in! :'( :'( :'(  They reckon they may need to disconnect the a/c to remove that pipe across the passenger bank :o :o :o :o

Weighing up options now.

Want to walk away really; why did I start that major service?!!! ::) ::) ::) :P

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 September 2018, 12:41:15 »

Does that include the 8# 0 rings and a tube of black goo ?

Tbh Lizzie if they haven't been changed for years they will be well past their due date and if you are genuine about keeping the car then its a small price and they should almost be treated as a service item anyway every 4-5 years.The number of hot/cold cycles the plastic covers get in the cars life I would just do them and move on.

You might be able to get pattern parts cheaper ,and reports on forum do give mixed opinions on quality though.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 September 2018, 12:42:45 »

The thing is, for the sake of another £70ish for the passenger bank Dispack when you have just paid out for camcover gaskets etc plus the time to dismantle all the cable tray again to fit it is a no brainer to me. While the Dispack may be fine at the moment, it's life will have been decreased significantly. I only say the above having been through it multiple times.

Obviously the drivers side is a 2 min job with nothing else to dismantle so not a big issue to sort.

Thanks VXL V6 :y :y

As I have stated in the other post, now weighing up my options.

There is only so much I physically can do now! :'( :'( :'(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 September 2018, 12:43:39 »

stop being negative,
look at it on a positive note
you'd have spent 1600 ? for wishbones and belt,then get another bill for the missfire etc ,sorting the gaskets
now you can adjust your plans to know everything is good ,breathers,coil packs,belt replaced,wishbones etc and still be under your original budget
plus you will know for sure it has been done and all is good
(my stamped history said plugs changed several times,found out that was bull by spending a little time doing it all myself)
chin up and crack on

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 September 2018, 12:44:33 »

You don't need to touch any A/C pipework and they should know that. >:(

Think they are inflating work to justify huge costs...to replace both coil packs is a mornings easy labour at a gentle pace and £150 in parts tops for genuine Bosch OEM parts

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 September 2018, 12:52:19 »

Think they are inflating work to justify huge costs...to replace both coil packs is a mornings easy labour at a gentle pace and £150 in parts tops for genuine Bosch OEM parts
d

..........and Vx dealer want another £400 for labour to fit the already paid for cam belt, belts, water pump, whilst doing the cam cover gaskets ::) ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 September 2018, 12:55:01 »

Thanks amba yet again for your supportive words.  I am going to take a long rest from this for about two days and just wait for the parts being sent kindly by Dave the builder.  I will then decide what I can do :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 September 2018, 13:09:28 »

Sensible choice.

Trouble is as you have now found out these cars can prove pricey for repairs hence why 2nd hand they are cheap for a lot of car ,and if not regularly maintain you end up facing a big bill .Think what VX would be charging for that all that work using genuine parts and dubious quality labour .

Think Ron amongst other suggested travelling up to see Serek .Perhaps get him to quote you for all that now seems necessary and make a plan /decision

Tbh excluding the timing belt kit and possibly bones all the rest is quite doable and not I’m sure beyond your ability albeit other factors do come into play

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 September 2018, 15:53:54 »

Give Nick W a shout.

It will be time and money well spent :y

Not trying to be negative, but phrases like 'complete fuel injection system' and 'service' really don't belong in the same post :-\
Nothing you are discovering is insurmountable, and all standard Omega fare... Usually you hit all of them at 80-120k miles, but yours is obviously there on age... Welcome to the reality of owning an Omega, however shiny.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.