Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to square one...  (Read 6046 times)

Nickbat

Re: Back to square one...
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2006, 16:52:44 »

Think I'm talking to myself here :-[, but anyway, I believe I'm heading in the right direction with this.

While poking around in the fuse box area, I noticed there was a heated rear window relay. I had a spare which I chucked in together with my last fuse. Guess what? PAS came back and the heated seat lights came up (I had been playing with them earlier). Only thing that didn't work was the rear blind but then I remembered I'd disconnected it. Went round to the boot, reconnected it, got back in behind the wheel and zip, the fuse blew. >:(

Got some fresh fuses, but they're blowing again. Could the replacement relay have got cooked by reconnecting the rear blind? Can I check a relay with multimeter? If so, how?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2006, 17:02:32 »

With the heated rear window relay removed, are you still blowing fuses?
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2006, 17:18:14 »

Good point. I just tried it and, yes, the fuse blows on final click of the key with rear blind disconnected and hrw relay removed.

Another of my theories bites the dust....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2006, 17:42:02 »

Is it possible to unplug PAS and try? That would prove if it is PAS or not...
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2006, 23:37:25 »

Can't seem to get to the back of the PAS unit to try that, there's just too much in the way...even if I try from underneath the car.

I just don't understand how, on the one hand it seems to be a permanent short circuit when I turn the key but, on the other it occasionally gives me everything OK, albeit for only a few minutes. Sure ain't logical.

Ok, so I need to go to Gatwick early on Thursday morning and I 'd like to take the Omega due to its load-carrying capacity. Is it OK to drive it without PAS? I'm sure I can manage the heavier sterering (used to drive a Manta with no PAS - now THAT was heavy!). Would it damage the steering at all?  

Nickbat

« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2006, 09:26:28 »

I think I'm going to give up on this, now. The other half said maybe it's ime to get a new car and I'm inclined to agree.

Even my Gunsons fault code reader doesn't seem to want to work now. I tried it yesterday and it was giving me some weird codes: 12, 135 & 31. OK 31 is not wierd (no RPM), but the others aren't listed in the Gunson's leaflet.

I've got a already-paid-for aircon regas this morning, but then I think it's the end of the road. It's really aeating up what free time I have (like last year when the immobiliser went).

No-one has yet confirmed if it's OK (i.e non-damaging) to drive about with no PAS. The car's booked into Gatwick parking tomorrow....  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2006, 09:39:59 »

Fault code 12 isn't a fault - its just a code to mark start of others.

135, I'd have to look up.

I think you're OK driving without PAS (build the muscles up ;)), just don't know for definate. Though airport isn't a million miles away is it?
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2006, 09:48:37 »

Cheers, mate. If you could look up 135, I'd be grateful.

No Gatwick isn't that far (about 60 miles) and its motorway all the way..

Nickbat

« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2006, 10:08:14 »

Found a fault code table on the web so 135 means this:

135'Check engine' lamp (fault code lamp)      Low voltage

Anyone know what this means:-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2006, 11:47:43 »

Possibly just spurious...

Your alternator is working OK, not pumping out too much (around 14v at 2500 rpm is about right)?
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2006, 13:42:32 »

Got a recommended autoelectrician coming round this afternoon. Let's see.

Got royally ripped off by the garage. On Monday they replaced the compressor, but said they'd run out of gas and oil and that I'd have to bring it back for regassing. They requested I pay for everything, which I did (£200 +Vat). I returned today and they regassed it, but said they hadn't charged for regassing and wanted another £72. I protested, saying that I had already paid for it. but they wouldn't have it. I had to pay to get my car back. When I got home I looked up the earlier invoice (wish I'd taken it with me) it said: "Replace A/C compressor and regas: £200.00 + vat". Today's invoice says "Carry out A/C regas: 62.50 + vat".

I called the guy but he got dead stroppy, refused to give me today's money back and put the phone down.

Ever been had?

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2006, 13:54:02 »

your gonna have to call back in person the busier the better and make a lot of noise, nothing threatening just use your outdoor voice. dont know how the courts work out over there but here in paddyland its only 15 euro to go to the small claims court, not that you would be bothered but dont let them crooks know that. sorry to hear of your bad luck but all i can say is that bad karma follows you around
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2006, 14:03:38 »

Straight to trading standards

Do me a favour, measure the battery voltage with the engine revving (3K rpm).

Nickbat

« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2006, 15:48:15 »

Thanks for your support guys. I'll see what I acn about getting my money back from these rip-off merchants.

Mark, just went to check the voltage only to find my multimeter needs a new battery (or it's broken, one of the two). I'll get this guy to check when he arrives in the next half hour or so.

Nickbat

« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2006, 18:12:53 »

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Yeeeeee Haaaaaa!!!!!!

All fixed!!!!!!

Had a visit from a really good autoelectrician. Guess what was causing the loss of PAS, HRW, blind, heated seats etc.?
A short in the cable which feed the heated winsdcreen washer jets :o...didn't even know I had them! The cable had pinched between the bonnet and bulkhead right in the corner by the pollen filter. Unbelievable. The guy only charged me 60 notes for a good hour and half outside my house. Well happy.

A glorious day, despite getting ripped off by the pirates in Cricklewood.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.