Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 V6 Engine Plenum; What's the diffirent's!!!  (Read 4886 times)

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
3.0 V6 Engine Plenum; What's the diffirent's!!!
« on: 28 August 2006, 15:14:14 »

I have a 1996 3.0 v.6 omega elite and I was wondering what is the diffirent's between the grey engine plenum which is fitted to my car and the engine plenum fitted to later cars which seems to be longer and more curved and shorter hoses to connect them, does it make a diffirents to BHP
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 V6 Engine Plenum; What's the diffirent's!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2006, 15:14:55 »

It means mine's is bigger than yours.  ;D
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2006, 16:06:53 »

I have a 1996 3.0 v.6 omega elite and I was wondering what is the diffirent's between the grey engine plenum which is fitted to my car and the engine plenum fitted to later cars which seems to be longer and more curved and shorter hoses to connect them, does it make a diffirents to BHP
It's not just the plenum that's different , they are bigger engines - 2.6 and 3.2. They are also drive by wire so they don't have an accelerater cable, and they don't have an idle control valve so they don't need to have a squarish front

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2006, 16:09:56 »

It's not just the plenum that's different , they are bigger engines - 2.6 and 3.2. They are also drive by wire so they don't have an accelerater cable, and they don't have an idle control valve so they don't need to have a squarish front

Sorry, thats not quite correct.

My 1998 MV6 3.0 has the elongated/droop plenum.  It came in, I think, at mini-facelift, and across the engine range.  And mine is old style cable (and cruise), not fly by wire. 

Someone else more clever than what I is will no doubt explain better why....
« Last Edit: 28 August 2006, 16:11:42 by hotel21 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2006, 16:17:51 »

Droop snoop fitted to post mini facelift 3.0/3.2 engines...
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2006, 17:45:10 »

My 1998 MV6 3.0 has the elongated/droop plenum.  It came in, I think, at mini-facelift, and across the engine range.  And mine is old style cable (and cruise), not fly by wire.

I stand corrected. I've only see the drooping plenum on the later engines (2.6/3.2). Is there a pic of yours anywhere so that I can see what it looks like and where the ICV is placed?

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2006, 17:54:18 »

I stand corrected. I've only see the drooping plenum on the later engines (2.6/3.2). Is there a pic of yours anywhere so that I can see what it looks like and where the ICV is placed?
Mine's is the facelift with the 3.0 not the 3.2, and it has the extended/drooping plenum. Still has cables for accelerator and cruise.

I've got pics on my home PC, but i'm down South at the moment. If no-one else posts a pic, i'll do it for you when i get back home.  ;)

I think the question Jim wanted to know is whether there would be any benefit in changing the setup to the same as mine as he too has the 3.0 but it's pre-facelift, with the shorter plenum. Better performance/torque?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2006, 18:08:07 »

Robbed these from e-bay

HtH

Broocie

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2006, 18:47:36 »

Robbed these from e-bay

HtH

Broocie

These picture's are also borrowed from eBay they show a 3.0 v6 similar to mine;

you can see who it differ's from the later 30.v6, but I beleive that both engine's are x30xe's is this correct?

So what's the diffirence? more power?
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2006, 18:49:49 »

Mine's is the facelift with the 3.0 not the 3.2, and it has the extended/drooping plenum. Still has cables for accelerator and cruise.

I've got pics on my home PC, but i'm down South at the moment. If no-one else posts a pic, i'll do it for you when i get back home.  ;)

I think the question Jim wanted to know is whether there would be any benefit in changing the setup to the same as mine as he too has the 3.0 but it's pre-facelift, with the shorter plenum. Better performance/torque?

Thank You Kev for making my question more clearer, it's good to have a Fairy God Mother looking over me  ;D

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2006, 19:38:43 »

Sorry to distract everyone fro the original question - I can't answer it though. I did find the pictures very interesting. Only the old one had cruise control fitted and it didn't have that second aux water pump.

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2006, 20:03:33 »

Sorry to distract everyone fro the original question - I can't answer it though. I did find the pictures very interesting. Only the old one had cruise control fitted and it didn't have that second aux water pump.
Both engine's have cruise control, it's just fitted further forward next to the inlet chamber's

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2006, 20:07:45 »

No difference to cruise fitting as stated, just slightly further forward due to longer plenum. AFAIK, no difference performance wise, and seeing as only fitted to 3.0/3.2 probably just balances the intake on the larger engines a little better...
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2006, 21:29:10 »

Both engine's have cruise control, it's just fitted further forward next to the inlet chamber's
I can't see the second cable for the cruise control. I did find a pic on eBay of one where I can see it and it doesn't have the second aux pump but I don't know how to post a pic.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2006, 21:31:36 »

If its a 3.0l and there is not a 2nd throttle cable for cruise, then the car doesn't have cruise!
Grumpy old man

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2006, 21:34:24 »

If its a 3.0l and there is not a 2nd throttle cable for cruise, then the car doesn't have cruise!
Agreed :)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2006, 21:37:19 »

The longer plenum is exactly as Jaime stated. It is to allow smoother intake of air.
It was one of a number of small improvements made to the engine at the end of 1997.
They also changed the oil cooler, balancer shafts and various little things that Geff can list better than me. :)
The Administrator.

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2006, 21:40:01 »

I can't see the second cable for the cruise control. I did find a pic on eBay of one where I can see it and it doesn't have the second aux pump but I don't know how to post a pic.
I think when Jim says 'Both engine's have cruise control, it's just fitted further forward next to the inlet chamber's', he's not refering to the pics posted, but in fact to his own car and my facelift.

Both our cars have the X30XE, both have cruise, he has a 'wee' plenum, but mine is bigger, the extended version.

You are correct about the posted pics though, they do not show the cruise cable.  ;)

So, both having the same X30XE engine, would Jim be able to fit the extended plenum, how difficult would it be, and would there be any additional benefit?

Mark?

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2006, 21:42:56 »

I think when Jim says 'Both engine's have cruise control, it's just fitted further forward next to the inlet chamber's', he's not refering to the pics posted, but in fact to his own car and my facelift.

Both our cars have the X30XE, both have cruise, he has a 'wee' plenum, but mine is bigger, the extended version.

You are correct about the posted pics though, they do not show the cruise cable.  ;)

So, both having the same X30XE engine, would Jim be able to fit the extended plenum, how difficult would it be, and would there be any additional benefit?

Mark?

You hit the nail right on the head there Kev :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 August 2006, 21:46:16 »

It would be possible - new plenum, air intake bits (they're shorter). Not sure if EGR mounting is same.

Doubt there would be any noticable difference in performance, so probably not worth the effort. Remember the droop snoops are a PITA when working on car, as things like cambelt etc require plenum removal on this type...
Grumpy old man

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2006, 21:47:03 »

Cheers Jaime.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2006, 21:59:22 »

Cheers :)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2006, 00:44:15 »

A closer look at a 1999 3.0L long-beak....

« Last Edit: 01 September 2006, 00:49:22 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2006, 00:46:15 »

..and at a 2001 2.6L FBW...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2006, 00:48:13 »

Note no EGR, Throttle cable, ICV, or HT leads on the FBW (also no DIS, no secondary oxygen pump... but you can't see it from here)... a joy to work on, spark plugs change takes half the time with much less to get out of the way.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2006, 08:53:02 »

Note no EGR, Throttle cable, ICV, or HT leads on the FBW (also no DIS, no secondary oxygen pump... but you can't see it from here)... a joy to work on, spark plugs change takes half the time with much less to get out of the way.
Cheers,Many Thanks for the info :)
« Last Edit: 01 September 2006, 08:53:19 by jim »

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2006, 14:26:38 »

As we are submitting Pictures.. here is mine 3.0L 98' Lump... ;)

Cheers

Matt
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2006, 15:36:10 »

Ooow! You've got a short one Matt!  ::)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2006, 16:03:49 »

I thought I had quite a long one actually... :D

Keep thinking of getting an Monaro Stylee bonnet vent, and slaping 2 cone filters straight onto the TB.....
I will have to do away with the MAS, and the possibly the first set of inlet baffles.... but wouldn't it look awsome....  8-)

Cheers.

Matt
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2006, 09:26:42 »

I thought I had quite a long one actually... :D

Keep thinking of getting an Monaro Stylee bonnet vent, and slaping 2 cone filters straight onto the TB.....
I will have to do away with the MAS, and the possibly the first set of inlet baffles.... but wouldn't it look awsome....  8-)

Cheers.

Matt
That would be nice, love to see soon pic's is you get it done [smiley=cool.gif]

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 September 2006, 12:04:44 »

if you look to the left of the throttle body, there is a second cable which arcs to the left and back down again - that's the cruise control unit at the end of it! (under the coolant expansion tank), so that car DOES have cruise control ...
« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 12:05:19 by sounds2k »

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #31 on: 02 September 2006, 12:49:00 »

if you look to the left of the throttle body, there is a second cable which arcs to the left and back down again - that's the cruise control unit at the end of it! (under the coolant expansion tank), so that car DOES have cruise control ...
Many thanks ;)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 September 2006, 13:25:45 »

Mark, there is something seriously wrong with that 2.6.

All the plenum bolt covers are in place. There should be, at the very least, one of them missing. I though that was standard on a V6. ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 September 2006, 15:04:36 »

All the plenum bolt covers are in place. There should be, at the very least, one of them missing. I though that was standard on a V6. ;D

LOL, When I got the car back from Vx following camblet change, two of the dust caps were missing. This is what it looked like, I took this ficture while still at the garage:

I gave them hell, and since they could not find them anywhere in the workshop I made them order a couple of new ones for me which I collected a few days later!

« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 15:05:22 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 September 2006, 19:05:08 »

LOL, When I got the car back from Vx following camblet change, two of the dust caps were missing. This is what it looked like, I took this ficture while still at the garage:

I gave them hell, and since they could not find them anywhere in the workshop I made them order a couple of new ones for me which I collected a few days later!

;D ;D ;D

Doesn't matter how many times they are replaced, they seem to always go missing! Must be the raw power from the V6.  ;)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 September 2006, 18:29:52 »

Hi Markjay, was wondering if you knew where the heater vacuum pipes were on a 2.6 2001 model, my heater turns cold, and some members indicate the pipe/s may be at fault.

regards Dave (not very good under the bonnet).
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 September 2006, 18:38:16 »

Hi Markjay, was wondering if you knew where the heater vacuum pipes were on a 2.6 2001 model, my heater turns cold, and some members indicate the pipe/s may be at fault.

regards Dave (not very good under the bonnet).

Best thing to do Dave is follow the instructions i put for the 2.5 on the heater thread you just looked at, once you've located the vac pipes via the indication arrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.