Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rear brakes update  (Read 1636 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
rear brakes update
« on: 17 April 2019, 08:38:12 »

i finally got round to checking rear brakes yesterday & this is what i found . discs very good. shoes quite good . pads ready for a change. handbrake cable n/s not working , o/s working but cable ready for snapping. so cleaned every thing off & copper greased moving parts up. replaced the cable with new. now all is working as it should.  :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: rear brakes update
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2019, 09:31:31 »

:y

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2019, 12:16:10 »

:y :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2019, 19:56:16 »

Well done.  :y :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2019, 19:58:10 »

One of those fiddly but satisfying jobs :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2019, 15:32:50 »

You clearly had the drums off to check the handbrake shoes, well done, and presumably checked the freedom of the scissors motion, always worth checking while you are in there. In the guide it recommends stripping it every 2 years, but I doubt many menbers bother.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2019, 08:26:17 »

You clearly had the drums off to check the handbrake shoes, well done, and presumably checked the freedom of the scissors motion, always worth checking while you are in there. In the guide it recommends stripping it every 2 years, but I doubt many menbers bother.

During the ownership of 4 cars over 30 yrs with a drum/disc set up at the back, I don't think I ever had need to remove it to look inside. And as I rarely use it, the shoes have never worn out to need replacing.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2019, 16:37:45 »

During the ownership of 4 cars over 30 yrs with a drum/disc set up at the back, I don't think I ever had need to remove it to look inside. And as I rarely use it, the shoes have never worn out to need replacing.

No, they don't wear out as they never see any friction. But it's not unheard of for the linings to break up due to age, or come unstuck when the disc is removed. At £20 every 15 odd years, it's not really an issue

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2019, 16:41:44 »

No, they don't wear out as they never see any friction. But it's not unheard of for the linings to break up due to age, or come unstuck when the disc is removed. At £20 every 15 odd years, it's not really an issue

It's not an issue now as I think the electric parking brake on my ML works on the pads .... I've not had a wheel off to look yet, but there's a option on the dash cluster for changing rear pads  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.