Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smell of oil, bemused! Any ideas?  (Read 3998 times)

omega3000

Re: Smell of oil, bemused! Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2014, 10:25:32 »

I open bonnet when engi ???ne is hot an no smoke . Nothing

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2014, 10:36:40 »

Rang Vauxhall, told me the gaskets and o rings don't come with sealant and it's not needed?

Is this True?

Price for the above including VAT is £101 ouch!!!
Yes it is needed.

Trade club brings the price down. Maybe Symes can help you there?

But as Kev says, you or someone needs to find the oil leak first before spending any money.

As with any fault, correct diagnosis first, open wallet second. :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2014, 10:41:59 »

Got the same happening on mine . No apparent leaks and only oily smell when pulling up after running  :(

I've yet to see a v engine with no oil leak, of some kind or other. So your not looking/trying hard enough. :P

Obviously if your smelling oil, then it's getting hot, so exhaust is a good place to start.

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2014, 10:44:08 »

Got the same happening on mine . No apparent leaks and only oily smell when pulling up after running  :(

I've yet to see a v engine with no oil leak, of some kind or other. So your not looking/trying hard enough. :P

Obviously if your smelling oil, then it's getting hot, so exhaust is a good place to start.

Although, are you sure its engine oil? ATF is subtly different, and coolant has that burnt sugar twang to it.

omega3000

« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2014, 11:59:13 »

No defitnately oil engine oil smell . Spark plug wells dry an breathers clean  ???
Best look underneath on exhaust  ???

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2014, 13:40:15 »

Possibly sump gasket or sump plug , all wet oil on sump pan  :'(

sjr47

« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2014, 15:32:25 »

oil pump o ring for pressure switch just below cam covers is a favourite place for leaks on my 2.6 then got blown back onto sump & further back worth a look.

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2014, 15:52:15 »

Possibly sump gasket or sump plug , all wet oil on sump pan  :'(
Yes that's where all the oil ends up. Every omega I've ever seen has a pool of oil sitting on top of the sump and, to varying degrees, where it gets blown back on to the subframe cross member and then gear box and beyond in extreme cases.
 But the point is, all those cars have an oil leak including mine, but NOT all those cars have a smell of burning oil. Mine does not smell of oil either.

So, it's the added scope of "burning" or "smell" of oil that is the clue here. This requires heat to happen, and the obvious place to start there is oil on the exhaust or related parts.

If the sump is getting hot enough to cause a smell of burning oil then there's far more serious concerns with the engine than a simple oil leak. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2014, 15:56:56 »

I think I have a similar problem, and being a novice I don't know where the breathers are - help, please?

Ron.

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2014, 16:01:03 »

Have a look here,

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90653.0

These guides can be found in the maintenance guide section  :y
« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 16:13:28 by blackviper90210 »
AKA - Mr Bracket

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2014, 16:25:17 »

oil pump o ring for pressure switch just below cam covers is a favourite place for leaks on my 2.6 then got blown back onto sump & further back worth a look.

Worth a look  ;)

So we all have oil burners  :D ;D

Ps. Where about's , what side is oil pump oring pressure switch  ???
« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 16:27:27 by Emd »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2014, 16:34:14 »

Wow, what a fantastic and comprehensive reply, BlackViper - much appreciated.
Thanks a million.
Just a little 1/2 hour job, then!

Ron.

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 January 2014, 16:46:32 »

Wow, what a fantastic and comprehensive reply, BlackViper - much appreciated.
Thanks a million.
Just a little 1/2 hour job, then!

Ron.

Your welcome Ron :)

Makes a change for me to guide someone else rather than me always asking questions, lol  8)
AKA - Mr Bracket

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 January 2014, 16:56:53 »

Harking back to an earlier comment about oil residues causing this type of problem; when I had a Carlton, my garage advised that vx did NOT recommend flushing oil prior to an oil change. Is this true of Omegas, because to my simple mind such a strategy would seem to be helpful here, and nobody ever explained why flushing was a bad thing.

Ron.

P.S. People have been so helpful on here and I only wish I could help in return, but my expertise isn't likely to be helpful here: I was a Lecturer in Electronics and Radio (and photography!) at Chelmsford College for the 20 years before I retired, having spent the previous years as a Design/Development Engineer in industry.

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2014, 17:12:10 »

Harking back to an earlier comment about oil residues causing this type of problem; when I had a Carlton, my garage advised that vx did NOT recommend flushing oil prior to an oil change. Is this true of Omegas, because to my simple mind such a strategy would seem to be helpful here, and nobody ever explained why flushing was a bad thing.

Ron.

P.S. People have been so helpful on here and I only wish I could help in return, but my expertise isn't likely to be helpful here: I was a Lecturer in Electronics and Radio (and photography!) at Chelmsford College for the 20 years before I retired, having spent the previous years as a Design/Development Engineer in industry.

No experience personally, but Master always says...along the lines of...

"Flushing can cause large lumps of congealed oil deposits to drop into the sump and block the oil pick up."

I have seen partially blocked oil pick ups on the omega, they don't need any extra help from flushing.
Low mileage oil changes are far better as it wears down deposits gradually, and the oil stays cleaner long term. Say 2 or 3 quick oil changes 3k apart, add some wynns lifter treatment if its noisy from cold, then continue with 5k oil changes from there for the duration.

Ignore the vx service schedule on oil changes, its designed to Impress fleet buyers, with no concern for your engines ling term use.

Semi synth, oil and filter every 5k. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.