Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Day driving lights  (Read 3834 times)

Nobby

Day driving lights
« on: 06 January 2014, 21:56:11 »

If needed, how do I wire daylight driving lights to my 2001 V6 ? :o would appreciate help.
Just a point of interest, its against the law to have FOG lights on if you can see more than half a kilometre, ie no fog, yet daylight running lights are much brighter (led)?????

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Day driving lights
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2014, 22:27:20 »

Yes, i was stopped by plod over Christmas and he politely asked me to turn my fogs off as the visibility was not
bad enough to warrant them being used. I must admit that he was very polite and wished me a Merry Christmas.
Nice bloke. :D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2014, 22:33:36 »

P.S You may be O.K. if you can find a way to wire it so that the fogs go out when the headlights are dipped. :-\

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2014, 09:46:43 »

If needed, how do I wire daylight driving lights to my 2001 V6 ? :o would appreciate help.
Just a point of interest, its against the law to have FOG lights on if you can see more than half a kilometre, ie no fog, yet daylight running lights are much brighter (led)?????

yes DRL's are brighter on some cars but they dont actually "throw" much light forward onto the road.
Omega Wanted: Facelift, 3.0/3.2, Elite/MV6, Charcoal Interior, W.H.Y.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2014, 17:27:18 »

I've never been sure of the official reason for the illegality of fog lights in clear vision conditions, but a common sense reason is that if you are so unaware of the status of your lights appropriate to conditions, should you be allowed to drive?
It's a bit like using your turn indicators when there isn't another vehicle in your vicinity to see them. My driving instructor (ahem, many years ago) said it would likely get me an advisory notice on my test, if not a fail for not being aware of surrounding traffic - or lack of it.

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2014, 17:46:09 »

if you are so unaware of the status of your lights appropriate to conditions, should you be allowed to drive?

but it's also up to manufacturers to locate the tell tales so you can actually see it. Front & rear fogs' tell tale on earlier Omegas was I believe just on the actual switch until Vauxhall decided to move them to the dash where you can see it. My Merc has the tell tale for the main lights & the rear fog (nobody ticked the front fog light option when they ordered it new  ???) at knee level & the city bankers illuminated the moving part of the rotary switch bit but left the static bit not lit!  ???  ???  ??? So, though you can see the bit you're turning .... you can't see what it lines up with!  :-X Also, in the past, dash lights were only on with the lights, it seems that many now light up with the ignition irrespective of whether lights are on.

P-son

• South Sweden
    • Omega B 3.0 Caravan (FL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2014, 20:53:56 »

Now i´m not sure we have the same laws.
But here in Sweden the law says.
Normal Conditions Daytime:
DRL light OR position lights OR position lights + driving light OR position lights + foglights

NOT the combination Fog Front + Drivinglight
DRL not combined with anything, they havto switch of when other front-lights is activated

Nobby

« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2014, 21:13:31 »

I was not asking if/when to use fog lights, I was merely making a remark as to how the law seems to be controversial  at times! Bigron.
Back to my original question, doe's anyone know how to wire up DRL to a 2002 2.6 Omega?
Please.

AndyStobbs

« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2014, 21:53:55 »

Think there is a relay and a fuse to add. Essentially putting the car into Scandinavian spec. Will have to research it a bit more, never actually done the job but have seen the parts shown on wiring diagrams.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2014, 22:32:59 »

Think there is a relay and a fuse to add. Essentially putting the car into Scandinavian spec. Will have to research it a bit more, never actually done the job but have seen the parts shown on wiring diagrams.

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1299860937  ;) ;)

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2014, 22:35:33 »

Well done Andy. Wot I said  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2014, 22:38:27 »

Well done Andy. Wot I said  :y

I knew you'd said it ....... just had to find it  :y :y

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2014, 16:25:18 »

It is against the law to use fog lights when the visabilaty is more than 100 yards(in old money) and in built up areas. Used to be a £30 fine. Plod could make a fortune if they were to enforce it today ;D ;D :y :y
Keith B

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2014, 20:23:13 »

It is against the law to use fog lights when the visabilaty is more than 100 yards(in old money) and in built up areas. Used to be a £30 fine. Plod could make a fortune if they were to enforce it today ;D ;D :y :y
Keith B
Quite true , there are loads of Gary boys driving around our towns with all lights blazing. 8)

martin42

« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2014, 21:40:44 »

Why not just turn side lights on when you get in the car,might require some human input but its only turning a switch 1 position. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.