Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Burst hose - Blowing Air?  (Read 2840 times)

Tawfield

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Blowing Air?
« Reply #30 on: 08 March 2009, 11:36:24 »

Further to my ex 2.0ltr estate I sold it to a Temp oofer he seems to have dissapeared he was asking for help in swapping engines after admitting redlining the revs that car was in good nick cept for a couple of scabs on the body, I just hope he managed to change engines and not send the car to scrap,his car before that, a vectra I think, he went tree hunting and wrote it off

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 March 2009, 11:44:15 »

Further to my ex 2.0ltr estate I sold it to a Temp oofer he seems to have dissapeared he was asking for help in swapping engines after admitting redlining the revs that car was in good nick cept for a couple of scabs on the body, I just hope he managed to change engines and not send the car to scrap,his car before that, a vectra I think, he went tree hunting and wrote it off

sounds like a bit of a bellend lol! i cant really redline mine cause the ecu just backs right off the power till you change gear and it wont revhigher unless your did some silly gearbox munching drops at speed lol!
and sounds like he hammers his cars.... i think he takes the whole "drive it like you stole it" to a new level lol!

anyway if the secondary air injection problem hasnt been fully sorted then make sure you get a good one way valve otherwise it'll just bugger up the new pipe you buy (might have a good one in the garage)
V8!!!!

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Exhaust Problems
« Reply #32 on: 08 March 2009, 13:41:22 »

What a contrast of driving styles, having read the previous posts.

The special appeal of my 2.5 Omega Elite is its comfort and smoothness, a wonderful cruiser. I never thrash it, but seek best economy. Typical runs are 5-10 miles, sometimes 20 miles to hospital appointments, occasionally further, rarely going over 2500 revs, sometimes cruising at 60-70 mph but not accelerating hard. This profile may seem slightly unadventurous but hopefully will result in extended car life compared to a more stressed style. Am I wrong?

I used to get 28mpg average, with 33-35mpg on runs. Imagine my distress now with these problems, getting only 15-18mpg .. severe depression !!!

However I accept that a good fast run is overdue, maybe using kickdown or lockdown for higher revs, to help burn off deposits in the cats and Lambda sensors, and hopefully restore normal fuel consumption. Going out soon.

Will get some help to fit the new SAI hose ASAP then change the rear exhaust box. Any other suggestions please?
« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 13:54:25 by 2am »

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Exhaust and MPG Problems
« Reply #33 on: 08 March 2009, 17:40:33 »

No more cobwebs - nothing could survive that blast down the motorway .. touching 6000 revs in lockdown 2nd at 70, and almost 5000 in 3rd. WOW that's power !!

Let's hope any deposits in the cats and Lambda sensors were also expelled. But who knows? Can't detect any difference yet. No more long hair-like wadding dangling from the exhaust tailpipe .. but then none has been seen for a few weeks.

I will monitor fuel consumption to see if any improvement.

Next tasks .. get the SAI hose fitted, and replace the exhaust rear box. How much would you expect to pay to supply and fit that silencer box on my 97R Omega Elite? Any particular supplier recommended?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 March 2009, 17:41:44 »

Whilst I tend to agree that the miggie is NOT a boy racers car , and deserves to be driven with sensitivity ... I also believe that the odd "burst" of enthusiasm is not misplaced .. it does several "good" things AFAIK ... I'm sure TB or MDTM will correct any errors /omissions

1. Cleans off the lamda probes
2. Exercises all the elements of the multiram set up
3. Runs the engine somewhat warmer so reducing/removing the condensates that cause the "mayonnaise" around the oil filler
4. Gives a blast of higher oil pressure around the system to help ensure all oilways are clear
5. Exercises the oil pressure relief valve.
6. Higher temps/and flow rates through the exhaust remove acid condensates and reduce he corrosion they cause.

Probably some more ..  ?

For these reasons an Italian Tune Up is both beneficial and enjoyable .. :)

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 March 2009, 20:18:20 »

Why didn't i just write what Entwood just said??

Last place I worked at, the Financial director was over 70 and drove an S type Jag....everywhere at 1200rpm.  After a few months it sounded sick as a parrot and drove terribly.  It was sent up to the local garage for a diagnosis, but the lads didn't bother in the end - just gave it a damned good thrashing from Redditch to the M42 for 10 minutes.  Restored it to health for him to drive at 1200rpm again for the next few months.
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Exhaust Problems
« Reply #36 on: 08 March 2009, 21:27:34 »

The special appeal of my 2.5 Omega Elite is its comfort and smoothness, a wonderful cruiser. I never thrash it, but seek best economy. Typical runs are 5-10 miles, sometimes 20 miles to hospital appointments, occasionally further, rarely going over 2500 revs, sometimes cruising at 60-70 mph but not accelerating hard.

I take your point in the previous post about the chap in his 70's at 1200rpm to highlight the principle but, hey, that's NOT like me.

My Omega only changes into top gear at almost 50mph at over 2000rpm - so cruising at 60-70 mph is 2500rpm or so, not 1200 !! I just don't "floor it" away from traffic lights to get there .. and I keep all 4 wheels on the ground round corners.

But I accept that an occasional burst of enthusiasm can be healthy. I hope the shock of today's speedy excitement and higher "blood" pressure hasn't caused a haemorrhage - no signs of oil yet. In fact, whilst throaty, it remained smooth and dignified !!

Can somebody please respond to my question about cost and source for rear exhaust box.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2009, 10:35:47 by 2am »

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 March 2009, 21:30:58 »

Genuine Vauxhall on a Trade Card used to be favourite, but looks like they're not supplying decent quality stuff now.  I've got one from "eternalcar" off ebay and it seems fine.  It's aftermarket, but so is Vx stuff nowadays by the looks of it.  Cheap, quick delivery (given it comes from Germany) and fits right.

Might be worth starting a new thread for Exhaust recommendations..?

Didn't mean anything by the 1200rpm comment - just an example of how a gently driven car needs the occasional "exercise"..
« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 21:31:45 by philhoward »
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - and Exhaust Problems
« Reply #38 on: 08 March 2009, 22:18:59 »

Many thanks for all your helpful comments, Phil - and everyone else.

There's another current thread about Exhaust Rear Box so I may wait a while before starting a similar thread title to avoid confusion .. and follow up your Eternalcar lead, whilst seeing if any other recommendations flow in from here, thanks.

I'm particularly interested in a good value source for "supply and fit" because of my disability. Or is it easy to find someone to fit a purchased exhaust?

« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 22:23:41 by 2am »

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Now Another Split Hose
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2009, 10:51:30 »

The plot thickens ..

.. just found ANOTHER hose which is split where it fits onto the connection point. Can somebody please tell me what is the function of this hose .. and if it would contribute to lumpy engine running and poor fuel consumption on my 97R 2.5 Elite.

Location .. on top centre at back of engine complex towards bottom of windscreen .. just above the words Eco-Tec. There are 4 small diameter hoses, the outer 2 of which are slightly larger. The split hose is number 2 from driver's side, so it's one of the thinner hoses.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Burst hose - Now Another Split Hose
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2009, 11:16:02 »

The plot thickens ..

.. just found ANOTHER hose which is split where it fits onto the connection point. Can somebody please tell me what is the function of this hose .. and if it would contribute to lumpy engine running and poor fuel consumption on my 97R 2.5 Elite.

Location .. on top centre at back of engine complex towards bottom of windscreen .. just above the words Eco-Tec. There are 4 small diameter hoses, the outer 2 of which are slightly larger. The split hose is number 2 from driver's side, so it's one of the thinner hoses.

That WILL affet your consumption as its a breather hose.

It effectivly results in an air leak.

Try cutting the split setion off and re-attach it

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2009, 13:17:00 »

Thanks .. I will try that, but slightly concerned about shortening by as much as the necessary 2 inches.

Alternatively could I use some "Duck" Hose Repair Tape?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2009, 13:20:11 »

Thanks .. I will try that, but slightly concerned about shortening by as much as the necessary 2 inches.

Alternatively could I use some "Duck" Hose Repair Tape?

It might work, a new hose would be the best bet.

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 March 2009, 15:45:11 »

Back to my burst SAI hose .. a friend is coming to fit the replacement long wiggly hose tomorrow morning. May I please ask for guidance.

Is it correct that the hose clips are re-usable and simply squeeze apart with pliers?

Is it a dry fit? or is some lube required?

The top end onto the "flying saucer" valve seems easily accessible. Does the front of the car need jacking up to access the lower end connection onto the fan near the nearside headlight?

Any other tips for a novice please?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.