Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuk! (Global Warming)  (Read 2800 times)

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
Re: Yuk! (Global Warming)
« Reply #30 on: 01 October 2010, 14:27:24 »

they should do a Children in Need version in B&W, slo-mo Sam Peckinpah-esque ballet of blood, or actually get that lot that did the excellent Spartacus: Blood and Sand recently (absolutely stunning violence)  :y

you could use "Everybody Hurts" by REM on the soundtrack.

or something by The Cars. 

Satire is only effective if cleverly used BJ - and I'm afraid that, in my view, this doesn't make it. [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

tsk - everyones a critic  :(

it's not satire if I'm serious tho, surely?  ;)
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 October 2010, 14:28:37 »

they should do a Children in Need version in B&W, slo-mo Sam Peckinpah-esque ballet of blood, or actually get that lot that did the excellent Spartacus: Blood and Sand recently (absolutely stunning violence)  :y

you could use "Everybody Hurts" by REM on the soundtrack.

or something by The Cars. 

Satire is only effective if cleverly used BJ - and I'm afraid that, in my view, this doesn't make it. [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

tsk - everyones a critic  :(

it's not satire if I'm serious tho, surely?  ;)

Nah, still not making it. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Nickbat

« Reply #32 on: 01 October 2010, 14:42:01 »

The video has been pulled by YouTube and the 10:10 website.

Perhaps they failed to realise the degree of public disgust. >:(

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 October 2010, 14:49:28 »

The video has been pulled by YouTube and the 10:10 website.

Perhaps they failed to realise the degree of public disgust. >:(
well lets see how long this one lasts with the u-tube police,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTLDel-G9k&feature=player_embedded

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 October 2010, 15:09:24 »

but we all agree that the video isn't actually promoting the murder of schoolkids by teachers, yes? or am I the lone voice of sanity?  ;D ;D

oldest ad trick in the book, create a controversial piece to jump start discussion. throw in a few cheap special effects - I've seen more violent cartoons.....get a grip people - remember that guy spewing the dog up?

besides I think blowing Ginola up deserves further consideration.......lets not throw the baby out with the bath water - who's with me?  ;)

I accept that the video is not advocating the murder of schoolchildren.

What exactly is it trying to say?  Is it suggesting that those in authority in any particular situation should impose sanctions on those who do not wish to participate in what appears to be a voluntary scheme?  Is it supposed to induce fear in those who do not wish to participate? 

Perhaps it is just reinforcing social exclusion amongst those who are either ignorant of, or disagree with, a particular point of view.  Not all children are going to be in a position to do anything at all to reduce their carbon footprint (parents won't let them walk to school, don't wish to reduce the temperature in the house, or would rather spend money on fags and booze than loft insulation).  Obviously, it's necessary to draw attention to these reprobates by emphasising how wrong their attitudes are! 

AGW considerations aside, this film is just sick.  Tasteless.  Pointless.  Offensive. :( :( :( :( :(
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Nickbat

« Reply #35 on: 01 October 2010, 18:32:00 »

10:10 have pulled it from their website and said "Sorry" (not "We're sorry", just "Sorry").  >:(

I bet they are very sorry now the offending item has gone viral and is returning to YouTube as fast as its taken down. :y
« Last Edit: 01 October 2010, 18:33:15 by Nickbat »

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 October 2010, 18:42:01 »

hmmmmm.....it's like they planned some kind of a stunt to get publicity for their cause........nah - it relies on otherwise smart people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing - couldn't happen ;D

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 October 2010, 18:45:40 »

hmmmmm.....it's like they planned some kind of a stunt to get publicity for their cause........nah - it relies on otherwise smart people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing - couldn't happen ;D

You're still not making it BJ [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Nickbat

« Reply #38 on: 01 October 2010, 18:45:46 »

The only thing they got was BAD publicity. I've already read of a company withdrawing its support.
They shot themselves in the foot.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 October 2010, 18:53:46 »

The only thing they got was BAD publicity. I've already read of a company withdrawing its support.
They shot themselves in the foot.

yep, well how many people had heard of 10:10 before this video, and how many are aware of it now? more or less? thats how PR works  ;)

ever watch the weigh in at world title fight? ooooo those guys hate each other - this fights gonna be good (ka-chinggg!!)

oldest trick in the book i'm afraid  8-)

Nickbat

« Reply #40 on: 01 October 2010, 18:55:29 »

This comment at the Guardian reflects, i believe, how the majority of "warmists" have received the video:

As an keen environmentalist I wish to disassociate myself from this film.

10:10 are idiots -- not because of what they stand for but because they allowed some celebrity film makers to talk them into agreeing to this film. It has put the environmental movement back by more than the deniaiists could have hoped for in their wildest dreams. I'm appalled and angry.

This film -- and the stupidity of the client that permitted it -- will be talked of in advertising circles for all time. Words fail me.

Don't think it was Banjax that posted it though. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 October 2010, 19:12:54 »

This comment at the Guardian reflects, i believe, how the majority of "warmists" have received the video:

10:10 are idiots -- not because of what they stand for but because they allowed some celebrity film makers to talk them into agreeing to this film. It has put the environmental movement back by more than the deniaiists could have hoped for in their wildest dreams. I'm appalled and angry.

This film -- and the stupidity of the client that permitted it -- will be talked of in advertising circles for all time. Words fail me.

Nick ......You are always appalled and angry over one thing or other......It's your OOF trademark.. ::) ::) ;)

Seriously though......I found this video entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it....as a bit of gory fun...... nothing to hyperventilate over really.. ;) ;)..........a lot of hysteria over nothing in my view..... :y :y
« Last Edit: 01 October 2010, 19:14:26 by optimist »

Nickbat

« Reply #42 on: 01 October 2010, 19:55:49 »

Nick ......You are always appalled and angry over one thing or other......It's your OOF trademark.. ::) ::) ;)

Seriously though......I found this video entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it....as a bit of gory fun...... nothing to hyperventilate over really.. ;) ;)..........a lot of hysteria over nothing in my view..... :y :y

It was not me that was appalled and angry.....if you bothered to read my post. ::) ::) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 October 2010, 20:13:27 »

It was not me that was appalled and angry.....if you bothered to read my post. ::) ::) ::)

I did bother to read it......so I know it was not you... ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 October 2010, 22:05:52 »

I found this video entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it....as a bit of gory fun...... nothing to hyperventilate over really

I'm surprised and disappointed that you have found this so Opti - I would have expected it in Banjax but not you. :(

For those of you (including Banjax) who consider this to be a bit of harmless fun let me tell you how much fun explosions involving humans are.

I have been involved in, and have investigated the scenes of, many explosions in which people have been either killed or injured.

On the occasions where I was at a scene when the incident occurred there is little available in one's personal coping mechanism to help prepare for the immediate aftermath.

Confusion, chaos, devastation and carnage are generally the range of experiences felt after the initial effects of the blinding light, pressure wave and deafening sound that knocks you to the ground.

The realisation that people have died or have been injured is difficult to suppress when certain procedures must be carried out, but the sweet odour of burning flesh, the heavy aroma of blood and the offensive sourness of visceral matter is something that I will remember to my last breath.

There is nothing inconsequential about real-world explosions and it angers me that images like those depicted in this video, can be so casually dreamt up by individuals most of whom haven't been in the presence of violent death, other than that resident in their tortured ‘creative’ minds.

Is this the only way they feel open to them to get a message across?  If it is, it appears that we, as a society, are inured to violence to such a degree that we must be presented with ever increasing levels of graphic imagery before we are able to register the purpose of any given message.

That can't be right, furthermore, the fact that certain people seem to shrug this inclination off as unworthy of concern saddens me.

There was nothing clever about that piece, it was sorded and opportunistic and held little journalistic or artistic merit.  It was designed for one purpose - to push a single-minded mendacious message dressed up in a ‘clever’ package.

Those who choose not to see it for what it really is are, I'm afraid, making a fundamental mistake.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.