Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuk! (Global Warming)  (Read 2810 times)

Nickbat

Re: Yuk! (Global Warming)
« Reply #45 on: 01 October 2010, 22:20:03 »

Nick ......You are always appalled and angry over one thing or other......It's your OOF trademark.. ::) ::) ;)

Seriously though......I found this video entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it....as a bit of gory fun...... nothing to hyperventilate over really.. ;) ;)..........a lot of hysteria over nothing in my view..... :y :y

I found this video entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it....as a bit of gory fun...... nothing to hyperventilate over really

I'm surprised and disappointed that you have found this so Opti - I would have expected it in Banjax but not you. :(

For those of you (including Banjax) who consider this to be a bit of harmless fun let me tell you how much fun explosions involving humans are.

I have been involved in, and have investigated the scenes of, many explosions in which people have been either killed or injured.

On the occasions where I was at a scene when the incident occurred there is little available in one's personal coping mechanism to help prepare for the immediate aftermath.

Confusion, chaos, devastation and carnage are generally the range of experiences felt after the initial effects of the blinding light, pressure wave and deafening sound that knocks you to the ground.

The realisation that people have died or have been injured is difficult to suppress when certain procedures must be carried out, but the sweet odour of burning flesh, the heavy aroma of blood and the offensive sourness of visceral matter is something that I will remember to my last breath.

There is nothing inconsequential about real-world explosions and it angers me that images like those depicted in this video, can be so casually dreamt up by individuals most of whom haven't been in the presence of violent death, other than that resident in their tortured ‘creative’ minds.

Is this the only way they feel open to them to get a message across?  If it is, it appears that we, as a society, are inured to violence to such a degree that we must be presented with ever increasing levels of graphic imagery before we are able to register the purpose of any given message.

That can't be right, furthermore, the fact that certain people seem to shrug this inclination off as unworthy of concern saddens me.

There was nothing clever about that piece, it was sorded and opportunistic and held little journalistic or artistic merit.  It was designed for one purpose - to push a single-minded mendacious message dressed up in a ‘clever’ package.

Those who choose not to see it for what it really is are, I'm afraid, making a fundamental mistake.

A sobering and incisive comment, Zulu.  :y :y

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 October 2010, 08:17:26 »

Zulu - come off it, it's cartoon violence. I know you don't agree with the message on the video, but do you really feel like that when you watch any film where someone is killed?

I really think you're blowing this up out of all proportion  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 October 2010, 11:50:28 »

Zulu - come off it, it's cartoon violence. I know you don't agree with the message on the video, but do you really feel like that when you watch any film where someone is killed?

I really think you're blowing this up out of all proportion  :y

Is that all you have BJ? - will you ever be able to admit that your analysis is flawed or just plain contrary for the sake of it?  Do not try to play me like you do Nick.

If you care to consider my remarks perhaps you will see that I'm concerned with the casual nature of the decision to use graphic violence in this way.

Are you so hardened or ambivalent to the way violence is used for entertainment, or to titillate those who can only experience it vicariously, that you can't see the danger in accepting everything that's displayed in a violent manner for advertising or leisure pursuits without pausing for thought?

It's about time people started speaking out about this worrying trend of ‘anything goes’, at a time in our social history where many people seem to accept the first thing they see on a screen as being acceptable.

Furthermore it's far from cartoon violence and, if you consider it to be so, then I'm afraid to tell you that you're very much mistaken.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 October 2010, 12:12:11 »

nah, sorry Zulu - I'm definitely not buying it.

In my opinion, I think that you and Nick have actually taken this too far and are now so far down the end of a logical cul-de-sac that theres no going back.

If you truly are the Mary Whitehouse of our generation....it's the first I've heard of it. It's a short film using comedic graphic violence to get attention - I think you and Nick, if you were honest with yourselves, find the message more distasteful than a bucket of fake blood and some chicken livers - would Nick have posted his outrage if it was an advert shooting Al Gore in the face? Of course he wouldn't. Which is fine by the way, but please don't make it out to be any deeper or more meaningful than it is.

Nickbat

« Reply #49 on: 02 October 2010, 12:29:29 »

In my opinion, I think that you and Nick have actually taken this too far and are now so far down the end of a logical cul-de-sac that theres no going back.

If you truly are the Mary Whitehouse of our generation....it's the first I've heard of it. It's a short film using comedic graphic violence to get attention - I think you and Nick, if you were honest with yourselves, find the message more distasteful than a bucket of fake blood and some chicken livers - would Nick have posted his outrage if it was an advert shooting Al Gore in the face? Of course he wouldn't. Which is fine by the way, but please don't make it out to be any deeper or more meaningful than it is.

It was NOT comedic graphic violence.

The message was clear - if you do not accept what someone says then you have no right to hold your own opinions or thought. The way that right is removed is depicted through an act of gross violence.

And don't even start suggest that I am not being honest with myself. >:( >:(

Furthermore, I do not understand why you and Optimist feel it necessary to personlise this discussion with attacks on me by name. There are clearly many, many, other people throughout the world who have expressed similar outrage. Hence the withdrawal of this piece of cinematic sh*t.   >:(
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 12:32:48 by Nickbat »

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 October 2010, 12:39:09 »

I don't particurlarly care whether you buy it or not BJ.

Again, do not bring Nick into this, I'm a big boy and can decide for myself what I find objectionable.

The message contained within the video is secondary to the means used to convey it - if you think it's acceptable, I do not and no amount of mock outrage or sage concern about my view of it will deflect me from that opinion.

Finally, far from being a Mary Whitehouse I've actually had a uniform on my back so am no shrinking violet - I (with others) have had to clear up the mess left by violence in an environment where people didn't care about it as it had become commonplace and nothing to be questioned.

It’s plain to me that you seem to have a mindset where matters such as these are concerned and will take any position - as long as it’s to the contrary in the hope of creating some measure of controversy.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 October 2010, 13:05:01 »

Calm down chaps.......it's just a car forum. :y :y

How about this for a bit of comedic blood and guts. ::) ::)

Apparently...... it is a parody of the ultra violent Sam Peckinpah  films of the time.....such as The Wild Bunch.....and Straw Dogs. (Susan George :-* :-* :-* :-*) Enjoy :y :y

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1-NpyaOWV0[/media]
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 13:06:38 by optimist »

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 October 2010, 15:00:13 »

I'll continue to differentiate between reality and special effects chaps  :-X

Nickbat, you posted the video with your forthright opinions on it, so why you're complaining about me commenting on your post I don't understand  :-?

Zulu - I respect you and Nickbats position, but really I'm not just trying to wind you up - I just have a different perspective - we've been playing violent games since we were kids - whether its fake guns playing soldiers, cops and robbers or cowboys and indians through to killing space invaders or mowing down pedestrians in GTA.

I just can't understand what's so objectionable about this compared to 1000's of video games, cartoons, horror films....hell take a look at the end scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the SS general is melted....now I'm pretty sure being burned alive is horrific but that was a mainstream movie enjoyed by millions as pure entertainment - are you suggesting that depicting death or violence should be outlawed?  :-?

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, Z -- I have no wish to get into the whole censorship debate   :-/

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 October 2010, 16:35:32 »

Nickbat, you posted the video with your forthright opinions on it, so why you're complaining about me commenting on your post I don't understand  :-?

Zulu - I respect you and Nickbats position, but really I'm not just trying to wind you up - I just have a different perspective - we've been playing violent games since we were kids - whether its fake guns playing soldiers, cops and robbers or cowboys and indians through to killing space invaders or mowing down pedestrians in GTA.

I just can't understand what's so objectionable about this compared to 1000's of video games, cartoons, horror films....hell take a look at the end scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the SS general is melted....now I'm pretty sure being burned alive is horrific but that was a mainstream movie enjoyed by millions as pure entertainment - are you suggesting that depicting death or violence should be outlawed?  :-?

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, Z -- I have no wish to get into the whole censorship debate   :-/

Yes, that's fair enough BJ, I'll happily disagree with you on this.

The acceptance of violence as being tolerable (and indeed desirable) by virtue of it's commonplace application in the way you've mentioned above, is part of the problem that concerns me.

This intensity of media delivery systems now ensures that more and more people can enjoy (if that's their thing) scenes of violence many times more graphic than available a few years ago.

In an increasingly violent, de-humanised society can these graphic images not promote the use of physical acts of violence through a disconnection with reality in the individuals who are prone to view such images as 'acceptable' entertainment?

The full ramifications of this rapid expansion in entertainment technology has yet to be realized in terms of how it motivates - or otherwise - the people using it. 

Make violence commonplace in the way we are discussing, numb people to the reality of it and society risks having susceptible individuals believe that they can apply the same methods to settle their affairs.

I'm wary of censorship for many reasons - but the question of it does not concern me in this matter.  What does is an unnecessary depiction of graphic violence being used to illustrate a point of view in a matter where violence should be irrelevant.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 02 October 2010, 16:55:17 »

Yes, that's fair enough BJ, I'll happily disagree with you on this.

The acceptance of violence as being tolerable (and indeed desirable) by virtue of it's commonplace application in the way you've mentioned above, is part of the problem that concerns me.

This intensity of media delivery systems now ensures that more and more people can enjoy (if that's their thing) scenes of violence many times more graphic than available a few years ago.

In an increasingly violent, de-humanised society can these graphic images not promote the use of physical acts of violence through a disconnection with reality in the individuals who are prone to view such images as 'acceptable' entertainment?

The full ramifications of this rapid expansion in entertainment technology has yet to be realized in terms of how it motivates - or otherwise - the people using it. 

Make violence commonplace in the way we are discussing, numb people to the reality of it and society risks having susceptible individuals believe that they can apply the same methods to settle their affairs.

I'm wary of censorship for many reasons - but the question of it does not concern me in this matter.  What does is an unnecessary depiction of graphic violence being used to illustrate a point of view in a matter where violence should be irrelevant.

I'm not totally convinced that Jack the Ripper watched a video nasty or two before his killing spree in 1888 Zulu. ::) ::) There have always been horrendous acts of violence since the dawn of time. I put it down to the darker side of human nature. :y :y

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 October 2010, 17:01:03 »

Fair enough Zulu - in my experience every generation worries about what the kids are watching/listening to or doing......most of us end up turning out OK as I'm sure most kids nowadays will too - the only difference being the widespread availability of violent and/or adult material on the internet...but time will tell  :y
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 17:03:22 by bannjaxx »

Mysteryman

« Reply #56 on: 02 October 2010, 17:55:41 »

That's why the world is such a wonderful place to exist.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 October 2010, 18:43:09 »

I'm not totally convinced that Jack the Ripper watched a video nasty or two before his killing spree in 1888 Zulu. ::) ::) There have always been horrendous acts of violence since the dawn of time. I put it down to the darker side of human nature. :y :y

I agree Opti although in this context, historical violence is largely irrelevant.

The concern we all should have now is how this unknown factor of having immediate access to the type of material BJ was talking about - at any time desired and by a multiplicity of means - will shape peoples view of violence as a common factor in everyday life and how they have no need to worry about it.

I have seen the undesirable result of people using violence as a means of primary expression simply because they had little concept of how wrong it was, even though it was being manifest in a society where violence was a given, the consequences of living in that place at that particular time.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 02 October 2010, 18:47:34 »

Fair enough Zulu - in my experience every generation worries about what the kids are watching/listening to or doing......most of us end up turning out OK as I'm sure most kids nowadays will too - the only difference being the widespread availability of violent and/or adult material on the internet...but time will tell  :y

the only difference being the widespread availability of violent and/or adult material on the internet...but time will tell

That is the thing we should be concerned about as we are presently in uncharted territory.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 October 2010, 19:51:21 »

the only difference being the widespread availability of violent and/or adult material on the internet...but time will tell

That is the thing we should be concerned about as we are presently in uncharted territory.

if I had a laptop with access to the internet when I was 14 I doubt I'd have left my room to be fair  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.