Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifier supply cable rip off!  (Read 1951 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Amplifier supply cable rip off!
« on: 25 March 2007, 13:53:29 »

Made some progress on my amp install yesterday but had forgotten to get any supply cable.

Took a wasted journey to Halfords where they wanted £6.99 a metre for suitable cable  :o

They had amp wiring kits for 30 quid but only with a 5 metre cable length. Not enough to get from the battery to the opposite side of the boot, methinks.

Then I remembered this place, who I've used in the past:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/cables/cables.html

6mm thinwall at 89p / metre should do the job nicely.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Amplifier supply cable rip off!
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2007, 14:16:55 »

I can heartily recommend the abovementioned for electrical parts. Phoned in an order on Monday night (left on answerphone - their e-commerce is hardly high-tech!) and it was on the doormat Wednesday evening when I got home from work.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2007, 15:09:46 »

Yes I remember being quoted for cable by the metre in Halfords once.
Seemed suprised when I burst out laughing at being quoted something similar.

I just went to local electronics shop and could have had any cable thickness I wanted for vastly less.
From experience, 5m cable is simply not long enough.
The Administrator.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2007, 21:05:22 »

Agreed, I used 6m, and just made it.  (I went from battery, across firewall, through throttle cable grommet, under sill into first aid cubby).

I mounted the fuse holder on the bonnet switch bracket.  

This had the added effect of causing false alarm triggers several months later as the bracket slowly slipped down on it's mounting which hadn't been re-tightened properly after I removed it to fit the fuse holder!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2007, 23:43:28 »

I decided to go through the rubber grommet along with the main loom in the passenger side and it was a right PITA getting access to the grommet and feeding the cable through. I think doing it as you did would have been easier. In the event I had already routed the signal cable down the driver's side and decided to separate them, and I had the glove compartment out looking for the batsrad brake light relay for the tow bar connector.

I also had the rear boot panel off so I used that to cross over into the first aid compartment.

Then I found that the MRV-F407 that I bought rather cheap on ebay was taking about 20 amps without any audio and getting 'kin hot >:(

Identified a shorted pair of mosfets in one of the output stages. The other 3 work fine so 2 new mosfets on order. The Saxo boy who had it before had obviously tried to use it to launch his sub into orbit.

One day I will have a decent sound system ::)

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.