Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central locking motor  (Read 1901 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Central locking motor
« on: 18 January 2008, 09:55:21 »

My driver's side central locking motor plays up occasionally. It seems to go through a phase of being lazy for a week or so at a time. It moves the button up but not quite far enough to unlock the door, so I have to nudge it round with the key to open the door.  

As I say, it'll d!ck me around for a week then work faultlessly for several months before playing up again.

I have to remove the door card at some point to change the speaker and I'm wondering whether to lube everything up or just change the C.L. motor.  :-/

Anyone know how much a motor is, what the normal failure mode is, and what my likelihood of success will be on just lubricating it?

Also, what's the best lubricant? White grease? Silicone? Something waterproof that doesn't go too thick in the cold, presumably?

Cheers,

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Central locking motor
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2008, 14:15:14 »

personally i would just replace it.

I errrr "borrowed" one from the scrap yard, there are a couple of Omega's down at my local scrappy. Next time i am there i could get one for you?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2008, 14:24:49 »

My driver's side central locking motor plays up occasionally. It seems to go through a phase of being lazy for a week or so at a time. It moves the button up but not quite far enough to unlock the door, so I have to nudge it round with the key to open the door.  

As I say, it'll d!ck me around for a week then work faultlessly for several months before playing up again.

I have to remove the door card at some point to change the speaker and I'm wondering whether to lube everything up or just change the C.L. motor.  :-/

Anyone know how much a motor is, what the normal failure mode is, and what my likelihood of success will be on just lubricating it?

Also, what's the best lubricant? White grease? Silicone? Something waterproof that doesn't go too thick in the cold, presumably?

Cheers,

Kevin

Motor is nearly 40 quid new and its the internal microswitches that fail, greasing will do bugger all.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2008, 15:37:26 »

personally i would just replace it.

I errrr "borrowed" one from the scrap yard, ......

tut tut!   ::)  ::)  ::)
Most of the yards near me have CCTV covering their yards.  :y

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2008, 15:52:10 »

Cheers,

Kevin

i've had this problem with my gls usually in cold weather, displaying the very same symptoms, only happening for a week or so, but its been fine ever since

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2008, 16:02:14 »

Mine doesn't even seem to correlate with the weather. Has played up in the middle of summer when it's boiling too.

Sounds like I need to replace the motor, then. It's enough of a pain to get into the door that I want the fix to be permanent. If this one has failed in 5 years then I suspect a second hand one is probably a false economy too.

Cheers for the advice :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2008, 16:54:45 »

Mine doesn't even seem to correlate with the weather. Has played up in the middle of summer when it's boiling too.

Sounds like I need to replace the motor, then. It's enough of a pain to get into the door that I want the fix to be permanent. If this one has failed in 5 years then I suspect a second hand one is probably a false economy too.

Cheers for the advice :y

Kevin
Change the motor (or fix the switches) while you've got doorcard off, save having to remove again...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2008, 17:20:33 »

Change the motor (or fix the switches) while you've got doorcard off, save having to remove again...

Ahh, can they be fixed, then?

Kevin

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2008, 10:24:48 »

If you measure the normally closed contact on each switch you will find one that is high resistance. I think it's the white one.

I used Maplin microswitches, similar hole spacing, just need to arrange the solder tabs.

The motor isn't too bad to dismantle, the loop on the actuator arm slides out sideways, two pins to press out from the body.

Somewhere I think I have some pictures I took last time, I'll try to find them.

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2008, 10:28:00 »

Kevin, I've found the pictures, if you send me your email address I'll send them to you.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2008, 11:41:10 »

That would be great, Mike. PM sent. :y

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.