Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Service  (Read 3328 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Cheap Service
« on: 21 January 2019, 12:14:20 »

My V70 is due a service and I CBA to do it myself, so I've been looking around for prices.  :)

I know my local garage will charge somewhere between £200-£250 for a full service, but being a tight arse I kept looking.

Best so far is ATS at £58.99 for a basic oil and filter change and if I book and pay online via Topcashback I get 5.25% off, so £56.04 and they use Mobile oil.  :y

That's the messy bit sorted and I can get the air, pollen and fuel filters from ECP for £31.24 (inc cashback) so a total of £87.28 for a full service with minimal effort from me.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Service
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2019, 12:18:35 »

A little being arsed will help you get a feel for how the car has been looked after ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2019, 12:30:21 »

The big wad of receipts, inc a bill for £750ish last July for a full service and other consumables, the fact it's wearing premium tyres and the general good condition of the car, tells me that it's probably been pretty well looked after.  :y

I'm not crawling around under it in this weather if I can help it.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2019, 12:34:48 »

Squeak, squeak...

Pest control to Darzet ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2019, 12:37:43 »

The big wad of receipts, inc a bill for £750ish last July for a full service and other consumables, the fact it's wearing premium tyres and the general good condition of the car, tells me that it's probably been pretty well looked after.  :y

I've forgotten what the underside of a car looks like. The local indie garage is good......and cheap. I seem to remember my last service and MOT was about £150.  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2019, 12:45:42 »

I've forgotten what the underside of a car looks like. The local indie garage is good......and cheap. I seem to remember my last service and MOT was about £150.  :)

After crawling around on the cold tarmac changing my rear discs and pads on the Mondeo a couple of weeks ago, I was stiff and achy as hell for a couple of days....  :(

Getting past it I think!  ::)  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2019, 12:47:57 »

After crawling around on the cold tarmac changing my rear discs and pads on the Mondeo a couple of weeks ago, I was stiff and achy as hell for a couple of days....  :(

A local garage would have thrown it up in the air and charged you an hours labour.

Oh.....wait.....and another hour to get the discs off.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2019, 13:49:33 »

My V70 is due a service and I CBA to do it myself, so I've been looking around for prices.  :)

I know my local garage will charge somewhere between £200-£250 for a full service, but being a tight arse I kept looking.

Best so far is ATS at £58.99 for a basic oil and filter change and if I book and pay online via Topcashback I get 5.25% off, so £56.04 and they use Mobile oil.  :y

That's the messy bit sorted and I can get the air, pollen and fuel filters from ECP for £31.24 (inc cashback) so a total of £87.28 for a full service with minimal effort from me.  :y

With the 3+service scheme Jaguar provide I pay between £199 and £249.

Having said that it is basically an oil and filter change by a retarded neanderthal.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2019, 14:01:42 »

With the 3+service scheme Jaguar provide I pay between £199 and £249.

Having said that it is basically an oil and filter change by a retarded neanderthal.
You forgot the "road test". ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2019, 17:05:07 »

No, it means the previous owner paid whatever the garage thought they could get away with. Definitely not the same thing ;)
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2019, 18:22:15 »

Does it have any history of timing belt and auxiliary belt changes? I understand that if the aux. belt lets go these engines will 99 times out of a hundred take out the timing belt at the same time with consequent damage to valves etc.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2019, 18:27:10 »

Oh yes Sir Tigger, we all join that club eventually; I did last year. :D :D :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2019, 18:46:48 »

Does it have any history of timing belt and auxiliary belt changes? I understand that if the aux. belt lets go these engines will 99 times out of a hundred take out the timing belt at the same time with consequent damage to valves etc.

Yes at 72,000  :y  It's now on 151,000 ....  :-\   So I might have to get it done.  ::) 

I'll have another look through the paperwork before commiting though.  :P

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2019, 21:49:42 »

No, it means the previous owner paid whatever the garage thought they could get away with. Definitely not the same thing ;)

Just going through the receipts and the V70 has had £1787.85 spent on it in the last 12 months!  :o

That's for a nsr caliper, rear brake shoes, discs and pads all round, brake fluid change, a track rod end, alignment, a couple of services and other sundries like screenwash/bulbs etc!  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2019, 22:19:03 »

Just going through the receipts and the V70 has had £1787.85 spent on it in the last 12 months!  :o

That's for a nsr caliper, rear brake shoes, discs and pads all round, brake fluid change, a track rod end, alignment, a couple of services and other sundries like screenwash/bulbs etc!  :)

Good God .... where was the work done? I felt I'd spent more than I'd wanted to when I replaced two calipers, front discs & brake pads front and back ..... twice! It was still nothing like that.

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2019, 22:30:40 »

I'll bet the local garage is sorry he sold it.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2019, 00:17:52 »

I'll bet the local garage is sorry he sold kicked it.  :(

You could say it was a probate sale.  :-X

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2019, 00:21:33 »

You only get what you pay  ::)
so for a  sub £100 service they let their gimp play with your motor for 30 minutes  :o
He`s trained to booger-up & over-tighten the sump plug &  then charge you for a new one  :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2019, 11:17:05 »

:y 100% agree ,always worth checking work has been done ,even if there's big bills or 12 months MOT  :y

Won't that N/s rear caliper melt if it's made of solid gold  :-\

I'll bet the local garage is sorry he sold kicked it.  :(

You could say it was a probate sale.  :-X
died of shock when he got the garage bill  ;D

just check everything over ,but it sounds like you found a good,well looked after one  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2019, 11:24:47 »

You only get what you pay  ::)
so for a  sub £100 service they let their gimp play with your motor for 30 minutes  :o
He`s trained to booger-up & over-tighten the sump plug &  then charge you for a new one  :)

Perhaps, but IMHO you're just as likely to get said gimp in a main stealer.

My Dad had a Volvo company car years ago. It was always serviced at great expense by a main dealer. He sold it on to a car dealer who he knew quite well. A couple of days after purchasing it, and about 2 weeks after a main dealer service, the car dealer was cruising along the M3 when the oil light came on and the view through the rear window was completely obscured.

He got it recovered and discovered the sump plug thread completely stripped and a load of PTFE tape hanging from the hole.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2019, 12:38:45 »

I go to a local indie who doesn't employ gimps.  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2019, 12:41:42 »

......anyone own a gimp mask?

Come on own up. :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2019, 16:32:32 »

I don't but Clicky here £19 delivered  :y
Are you going to start servicing cars then Dr Opti  :-\

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2019, 20:18:14 »

I don't but Clicky here £19 delivered  :y
Are you going to start servicing cars then Dr Opti  :-\
You learn something everyday. ;D I really have led a sheltered life. :D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.