Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting a Sony Unit in place of Phillips  (Read 2244 times)

Cotswoldpete

• Stroud Valleys
    • View Profile
Fitting a Sony Unit in place of Phillips
« on: 01 November 2007, 16:33:24 »

I am thinking of fitting a SONY MEX BT2500 CD/MP3 player to a 97 Omega (probably more than the car is worth I know).

The question is whether the Sony will just fit into the current electrical fittings that the Phillips SC804 uses, or will I need to buy all sorts of adaptors.

if anyone has done this themselves let me know.  

It's either buy the unit on Amazon for £90 or Halfords for £130 (with free fitting), so I would like to save the extra by going through Amazon if it is a straight swap.

Any comments appreciated.

Pete
« Last Edit: 01 November 2007, 16:34:42 by Cotswoldpete »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a Sony Unit in place of Phillips
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2007, 20:27:14 »

It won't be a direct fit.  Not sure what plugs the Sony uses, but even if it is ISO, the Vx have the +12v and ign round other way.  Also, you'll need adapter to drive the MID. Steering wheel controls won't exist on a 97 model.
Grumpy old man

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2007, 03:11:29 »

If you are buying the unit new I think this should work tip-top....

I checked inside the box of a fairly posh sony headunit (before some of the low end tat!) that we are putting in an Elan shortly and iirc the unit came supplied with an adaptor loom which allows you to connect to the cars (omega) standard loom but CRUCIALLY addresses the problem of the 12V supplies being switched by fitting a couple of bullet connectors inline with the relevant supplies (blue and yellow?).

Don't quote me on that but what i'm long-windedly trying to say is that YES, it should work fine. I can't confirm the sony will feed the radio display like your standard radio though? If it doesn't, it will simply display date. The h/u cage will also be supplied and will be required. Biggest problem I believe is that even though the omega is a big car, space behind the stereo is rather tight so may take some fiddling.

Don't get stuck, pop back on here and we'll help you through it....and make sure the radio you choose has some anti-theft features about it! Oh, and if the munkehs at halfrauds can fit it then so can you! Shouldn't take more than 1-2 hrs  :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2007, 07:36:31 »

If you are buying the unit new I think this should work tip-top....

I checked inside the box of a fairly posh sony headunit (before some of the low end tat!) that we are putting in an Elan shortly and iirc the unit came supplied with an adaptor loom which allows you to connect to the cars (omega) standard loom but CRUCIALLY addresses the problem of the 12V supplies being switched by fitting a couple of bullet connectors inline with the relevant supplies (blue and yellow?).

Don't quote me on that but what i'm long-windedly trying to say is that YES, it should work fine. I can't confirm the sony will feed the radio display like your standard radio though? If it doesn't, it will simply display date. The h/u cage will also be supplied and will be required. Biggest problem I believe is that even though the omega is a big car, space behind the stereo is rather tight so may take some fiddling.

Don't get stuck, pop back on here and we'll help you through it....and make sure the radio you choose has some anti-theft features about it! Oh, and if the munkehs at halfrauds can fit it then so can you! Shouldn't take more than 1-2 hrs  :y

Don't think the Sony can drive the MID display alone but may be able to via a connects2 interface box,
I have a Sony CDXMP40 in my mini facelift and the connects2 box allows use of steering wheel controls and radio display on the MID.
Have a look on their website.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2007, 23:08:00 »

And before fitting Sony H/U, rip the top off it and disconnect that stupid, pointless bleeper that goes off 3 times every time you turn it off.  Better still, smash it up with a sledgehammer.
Grumpy old man

Cotswoldpete

• Stroud Valleys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2007, 22:57:24 »

Thanks for all the comments.

Had a go at taking out the current cage, and it is about as tight as a Nats Chuff behind the unit.  Had a devil of a job just getting the Philips cage back in.  Had a few cuts on the old knuckles, but at least I can see what goes on in their and even with my small hands seems like a challenge.

I guess I weigh up paying Halfords the £28 over the cheapest supplier to cut their knuckles or do it free and treat the neighbourhood to a few choice cusses into the bargain.

Will let you know which way I go, but it's more of a time issue and keeping my missus happy (not mucking about with the car when I could be doing some DIY - or taking the kids up the park) ::)

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2007, 08:17:33 »

Easiest wat is to pop out the centre panel before connecting up the sony leads, then you can re stuff the wires from the Vxl loom out the way, put the centre panel back in and it will leave room to slide the unit in.

It a real bugger and it starts off looking like this:-

But with some jiggery pokery i got an in dash slide out screen, hardwired bluetooth kit, connections for DVD, Mini-Disc changer, CD changer, amp and sub connections (4 rca cables) and the connections for the steering wheel controls!

Bloody tight but worth it in the end:-

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2007, 21:48:55 »

DOPS004 :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.