Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ticking noise  (Read 2979 times)

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ticking noise
« Reply #45 on: 19 January 2011, 19:32:56 »

chris if u type in www.acdelco.com/indexjsp and scroll to the bottom you will see the words General motors rights reserved 2010.  I have been told this is exactly the same oil as the branded GM one from my local Vauxhall dealership.  Thats why sometimes my local Vaux dealer have ac delco on the shelf

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 January 2011, 19:44:58 »

Just a thought, when i removed the oil filler cap and looked in at the cam shaft on idle i could see oil trickling over the cam shafts but not gushing around is that correct?

feeutfo

« Reply #47 on: 19 January 2011, 19:45:44 »

chris if u type in www.acdelco.com/indexjsp and scroll to the bottom you will see the words General motors rights reserved 2010.  I have been told this is exactly the same oil as the branded GM one from my local Vauxhall dealership.  Thats why sometimes my local Vaux dealer have ac delco on the shelf
What for? If your happy with it fine. "It's not my rather car" as they say in the trade.  ;)

I use the GM listed stuff as it's on trade club and costs £36 for 20litres. Everbody's happy. :y

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 January 2011, 19:50:08 »

£1.80 a ltr thats very reasonable, you couldnt buy cooking oil for that

feeutfo

« Reply #49 on: 19 January 2011, 20:20:38 »

£1.80 a ltr thats very reasonable, you couldnt buy cooking oil for that
Maybe its only a grade above that  ;D

But it does keep the condensation on the filler cap to a minimum as well. The mark up on oil is outrageous.

The same dexos2 mentioned earlier is about £60 for a 20 litter drum on tc. Same oil product at a BMW dealer is £180 retail !!!! Because it's BMW. But they only sell it to people with pink shirts with white collar and cuffs. You know the type.   ;D

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2011, 20:30:06 »

think i will start with new plugs. i have just bought an oil pressure gauge to fit at the weekend.  It is rated from 1-7bar. Do you know what bar the oil pressure should be at idle and on acceleration??

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 January 2011, 21:58:07 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco_Electronics

Delco Electronics Corporation was the automotive electronics design and manufacturing subsidiary of General Motors based in Kokomo, Indiana.

The name Delco came from the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Co., founded in Dayton, Ohio by Charles Kettering and Edward A. Deeds in 1909.[1] The "AC" often seen in front of the name are the initials of Albert Champion, a pioneer in the development of the spark plug. He made the change during his tenure at General Motors, after they took over Delco.

:-X

I am trying to find the official oil pressure specs. Unofficially, I would say 3 bar plus at speed dropping to 1bar plus at idle(when hot). If low pressure is the issue I'd expect quite a racket as all the lifters would start complaining. Not sure that would fit the description of a "tick" but as you have the gauge, may as well rule it out.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 January 2011, 20:09:35 »

update on ticking noise.  Took car to garage today and put on four poster. Mechanic checked exhaust system and after a bit of head scratching commented there might be a slight leak at passenger exhaust manifold.  Cant see any soot around it and to be honest i cant hear any blow out from that area. Po420 code and light appeared today after about 3 weeks of being off.  Does the 3.2 (2002) have an EGR??
I ask this as my neighbour works for my local vauxhall garage and he suggested the gaskets can fail on them causing a ticking/clicking noise.  If there is one where exactly is it and could this be the culprit

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 January 2011, 20:13:43 »

No EGR on 2.6/3.2. Read this about 0420
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1253462747
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 January 2011, 20:19:13 »

i my view the ticking noise is coming from the back of the engine and is most noticeable when i put my mechanics stethescope behind the plenum.  What exactly is behind and below the rubber pipework feeding into the plenum?.  Has anyone got any pics of the rear of a 3.2 engine?

feeutfo

« Reply #55 on: 21 January 2011, 20:59:31 »

Can't think of any other suggestions tbh. Unless it's in the head itself, there's no known issue that would cause a ticking in the area between bulkhead and engine.

Unless Kevins suggestion of pressure relief valve applies I can only assume there's something rattling around back there? Maybe from fitting the new engine.

No egr on the 3.2.

I suppose remove scuttle and run the engine? Unless it's lifter noise, which we have discounted, it will be an unusual cause I would think.

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 January 2011, 21:02:53 »

chris, whats the gold/brass coloured cylinder mounted horizontal behind the plenum?  Put stethescope on it and could hear quite a large ticking from it. Not sure if its the culprit but would like to rule it out.

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 January 2011, 21:09:10 »

also similar loud tick from touching the fuel rail going to injectors!

feeutfo

« Reply #58 on: 21 January 2011, 21:09:53 »

That ain't standard, by the sound of it.

This is a 3.2 v6 omega engine right? Had it got LPG or something? Pre heater? What's it plumbed into? ...  :-?

feeutfo

« Reply #59 on: 21 January 2011, 21:11:47 »

Had it got an updated fuel regulator?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.