Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring Clean  (Read 8118 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Clean
« Reply #45 on: 05 July 2019, 15:52:27 »

At last today I was ready.  My back was not playing up and the sun was shining hotly!

Jacked the car up on the four corners and cleaned the springs, brake pipes, and a few bits of chassis needing just a little attention.

Did what you all recommended; washed parts down with parrafin, after wire brushing as required. Brushed liberally Kurust, then spay painted with Hammerite black paint. Sprayed copious amounts of Supertrol into every hole into the chassis I could find were it was vulnerable. Couldn't remove the sills as DG recommended as mud flaps, fitted by Vx, rather got in the way, and as the whole inner sill areas on both sides, looking from the centre of the car, were very good, without holes and absolutely no sign of rust, I decided to leave well alone.  However, knowing what you have all said about what could be under the sill covers, I sprayed a whole 250ml can of Supertrol up into the gaps between the covers and chassis, all along on both sides with satisfying drips of the stuff coming out after a few seconds.

All done and looking good. However, the MOT tester who posted the advisories I think was being very strict, although as they know this car well, doing me a favour.  The springs and pipes only had a very light dusting of 'muck', which when washed off with paraffin quickly revealed, in the case of all four springs around the car (only the front two were advised on), pure black plastic coated metal, which I still treated with  Kurust and the Hammerite paint for good measure, as only in two small areas was there a break in the finish, showing a very small amount of rust cover which disappeared with wire brushing.

It has been a year since I was last under the car (do not like it as much as I once did due to age!!), but I was delighted in the overall condition of the chassis and all parts there under! It did not reflect a car of 16 years age with 77,000 miles on the clock.  When I think back to my first car, a 10 year old Austin Farina bodied A40, the difference is fantastic!  That 10 year old car had bits of chassis missing, the passenger seat 'floated' in mid air, the sills were shot and not connected to the bodywork by anything but old newspapers, and the bodywork had rust holes the size of fists everywhere - although it still passed two MOT's in 1971 and 1972!! :o :o :o :D

The Omega is so clean on top and underneath, albeit with the infamous rear wheel arch rusting starting to show which I keep on top of regularly, pending hopefully professional attention one day of £1,000 worth!  But apart from that, all is good! 8) 8) 8) ;)

Thanks for all the great advise I received from you all. Mechanical stuff is fine with me, but anything to do with bodywork and finish generally is not my speciality by any means! ::) ::) :D :D :y
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 15:56:04 by Lizzie Zoom »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 July 2019, 17:13:01 »

I think the point is with any car, catching it at the right time. In the case of some vehicles that would be shortly before they leave the production line!

Far easier to whizz over something with a wire brush, and a coat of underseal on today, than a lengthy cut out old rust, weld in new plate, bodyshop work etc... tomorrow.

Some bits on mine I've caught in time, others not quite so  :D but we can only do what we can do.  :y

Old school way of thinking but every time you're underneath with an oily rag, just give the nearest 'thing' a wipe over, its amazing how it helps keep corrosion at bay, another tip I got was whiz a dusting of WD40 over your radiator whenever you're down there.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 July 2019, 17:29:25 »

I think the point is with any car, catching it at the right time. In the case of some vehicles that would be shortly before they leave the production line!

Far easier to whizz over something with a wire brush, and a coat of underseal on today, than a lengthy cut out old rust, weld in new plate, bodyshop work etc... tomorrow.

Some bits on mine I've caught in time, others not quite so  :D but we can only do what we can do.  :y

Old school way of thinking but every time you're underneath with an oily rag, just give the nearest 'thing' a wipe over, its amazing how it helps keep corrosion at bay, another tip I got was whiz a dusting of WD40 over your radiator whenever you're down there.  :)

Yes, I was brought up to remember a crucial saying: "A stitch in time saves nine" which used to apply to keeping garments especially in good state, but can apply to anything :D :y :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 July 2019, 21:36:15 »

Well done Lizzie  :)
give the wheel arch seams a good squirt of supertrol from inside the boot too for the time being
(behind the spare and in the flap where the tyre pump lives )  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 July 2019, 07:20:54 »

give the wheel arch seams a good squirt of supertrol from inside the boot too for the time being

I have looked all round those parts Dave but all looks perfect. But thanks, next week I will have another look 8) :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 July 2019, 07:36:06 »

I have looked all round those parts Dave but all looks perfect. But thanks, next week I will have another look 8) :y

"the infamous rear wheel arch rusting starting to show"

it's preventative , to get supertrol to seep into the weld seams of the arches to stop rust

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 July 2019, 08:13:50 »

it's preventative , to get supertrol to seep into the weld seams of the arches to stop rust

The trouble is Dave the rust is already there inside the arches, and I have been doing all I can on the outside to stop it spreading. However, I take the point about the Supertrol, and will do what I did yesterday with the sills; spray a lot into the inner panels.

What are the openings in the boot, alongside the spare wheel and on the other side, that you can use to get into the wheel arch panels? ??? ??? :D  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 July 2019, 08:23:42 »

The trouble is Dave the rust is already there inside the arches, and I have been doing all I can on the outside to stop it spreading. However, I take the point about the Supertrol, and will do what I did yesterday with the sills; spray a lot into the inner panels.

What are the openings in the boot, alongside the spare wheel and on the other side, that you can use to get into the wheel arch panels? ??? ??? :D  :y
remove the spare wheel and you can see the back of the wheel arch forward of where the spare well is , similar on the other side by the fuel flap etc hard to get too but supertrol all joints etc
also , if you can tuck the straw behind/ in the gap of the dealer fit mud flaps at the rear of the sills  :-\
into the door drains etc etc
in fact, just buy a swimming pool of supertrol and dip the car in  ;D :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 July 2019, 08:31:29 »

remove the spare wheel and you can see the back of the wheel arch forward of where the spare well is , similar on the other side by the fuel flap etc hard to get too but supertrol all joints etc
also , if you can tuck the straw behind/ in the gap of the dealer fit mud flaps at the rear of the sills  :-\
into the door drains etc etc
in fact, just buy a swimming pool of supertrol and dip the car in  ;D :D

Thanks Dave, all understood and will do! 8) 8) :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 July 2019, 13:06:02 »

[/quote]

If you remove the floor and wheel arch carpets, and side pieces, this allows access to the rear of the wheel arches. Removing the petrol flap from the outside and the petrol flap motor from the inside of the o/s wing allows better access around the filler neck.  It is also a good idea to remove the rear seat side bolsters and the rear seat belt reel, to gain better access to the front the wheel arch by the door, and also avoids getting the spray over the exposed seatbelt inside the body whilst in situ (been there, done that, and its a pain to clean it off the seatbelt material if you don't!).
To get the spray at the leading edge of the rear arches needs you to be a bit of a contortionist, and needs a good aim to get it in the right area. A long lance can help. I have also used garden flower sprays - the handheld type that are about a pound from B+Q as the spray pattern can be changed from a fan to a jet (as I managed to get a gallon of Supertrol to dispense into the flower sprays) Otherwise, the fluid coming out of the nozzle needs to be a jet rather than a fan to get in this area. It helps too if you can rig up a little light that you can dangle in the panel  being worked on so you can see what obstacles there are and where the fluid is going. A nice warm day is ideal to keep the fluid runnier.
It is worth the hassle  - I did it many years ago, and there is no rust visible anywhere on the wheelarches of my 3 cars, both on the outer wing and the seam underneath.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 July 2019, 14:32:25 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 July 2019, 14:57:18 »

Removing the rearward wheel arch liner form the osr wheel arch gives all the access you could ever need to the filler neck area  :y

The filler aperture is outside/below the inner wing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 July 2019, 15:38:51 »

Removing the rearward wheel arch liner form the osr wheel arch gives all the access you could ever need to the filler neck area  :y

The filler aperture is outside/below the inner wing.

Thanks DG :y :y

When I work again on the car I really will go there again.  ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06 July 2019, 19:01:36 »

What were the front chassis legs like?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 July 2019, 20:05:40 »

What were the front chassis legs like?

All very good I am pleased to say, and there was only one small piece of chassis in the frontal area that needed a bit of light wire brushing, then rust treatment before painting with Hammerite :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.