Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skype  (Read 723 times)

Nickbat

For various reasons, I want to get a Skype connection. I've downloaded the software and today bought a Logitech headset at Tesco.

Problem 1: the microphone doesn't seem to work. Look like it's going back in the morning

Problem 2: I have a basic audio setup connected to the soundcard on the PC. How can I set up the Skype headset so that the conversation does not come out of the speakers, just through the headset? Should I use the mobo's audio connections or will that cause a conflict? Should I abandon these connections and get a bluetooth headset instead?

I could probably work out most of these myself, but it's so much easier to ask here, especially if you're a lazy git like me.  ;D

Incidentally, Skype seems like Billy Bunter when it comes to eating up my resources.  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2007, 23:22:08 »

Might be worth checking in the volume control application that the fader for the microphone is not fully down. If you've got multiple audio devices i.e. not just n analogue headse plugged into the sound card you should be able to selevt which ones the Skype application uses.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2007, 23:28:28 »

Cheers, Kevin. I did check the fader first, but I'll take a look at the device usage as well.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2007, 09:32:10 »

Not a fan of Skype for a number of reasons, mostly around costs if you want a proper number, and the fact that it needs PC on.

I personally use a SIP based solution, with a hardware SIP to PSTN adapter.

The provider I currently use is sipgate.co.uk (coz its free to sign up, and you get a geographic number), and a Linksys PAP2 adapter so I can plug in normal phone (or phone system in my case).  Visiting anyone for a few days? Just take the PAP2 and plug into their broadband (adjusting firewall if necessary) ;)

SIP, though, like most proper VOIP protocols, is time dependent, so if your broadband is being thrashed, you can get dropouts, bit like mobile phones in weak areas.

Its free, I suggest anyone try it (with software 'phone'), if it doesn't work for you, then nothing lost...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2007, 10:16:04 »

That's useful information, Jaime. I've been thinking about how to keep my boss connected a little more seamlessly (and less expensively) than he is at the moment. He keeps sloping off to Spain, you see ::).

A box that he can simply take over there and plug into his broadband connection (assuming VOIP is not blocked by his provider) would be a very neat solution.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2007, 10:49:03 »

That's useful information, Jaime. I've been thinking about how to keep my boss connected a little more seamlessly (and less expensively) than he is at the moment. He keeps sloping off to Spain, you see ::).

A box that he can simply take over there and plug into his broadband connection (assuming VOIP is not blocked by his provider) would be a very neat solution.

Kevin
Yup, may need some initial router config down in Spain (f/w, nat forwarding (though most routers have an alg for SIP now, so may just work)).

As said, the downside is it is very sensitive to bandwidth, so you need a line that does not get too busy. Try with a softphone first, and see what results are like....
Grumpy old man

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2007, 11:08:23 »

I'm with sipgate works well.
The only thing against is they stopped letting people with other sip providers calling your sip number
and never told anyone. Found out while looking at a sip forum.
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2007, 11:44:40 »

Yup, may need some initial router config down in Spain

Sounding even better. Excellent excuse for an all expenses paid p*ss up business trip to Spain. ::)

Do you have any experience with wi-fi VOIP phones? Presumably a similar product just packaged differently?

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.