Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Massive plea for help, computer  (Read 967 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Massive plea for help, computer
« on: 26 May 2015, 12:55:36 »

Hi fellas,
On the computer upstairs which has all the community centre files on it, has suddenly gone to 'read only'
You can access Excel files and work on them, but you can't save the changes. This has only just happened, as I did the VAT for the last quarter at the end of April. This entails saving the relevant files to flash drive ( or using home network) then opening the files on this computer, checking, then filing VAT online.
Swmbo has been inputting last months files, and can't save....they are all headed 'Read Only'.
I have tried going to the folder properties, which say Read only, tried unchecking, but still no joy.
Any help appreciated...please, please, please :'( :'( :'(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Massive plea for help, computer
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2015, 12:57:30 »

If you're editing files on a flash drive and it's an SD/MMC card, check that the little write protect switch on the side hasn't been set to protect it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2015, 13:13:09 »

There are two sets of permissions which come into effect on this.

1. Share permissions.
You enable a folder to shared to the network. There are permissions to who can access this share.

2. File permissions.
These are permissions placed on files and folders.

Both of the them have to right to work proper. One word of warning, I've seen this sort of activity caused by viruses in the past. Please make sure you have good backups.

On top of these permissions, you also have what are called 'File Attributes'. There are 4 markers that can be set to each file/folder, one of which is 'Read Only'. (I bet I've just confused you further!)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2015, 13:17:19 »

If you look at the file in My Documentsw or whereever it's saved, and right click on it - at the bottomt here will be a check box 'Attributes: [ ] Read only   [ ] Hidden' - and make sure that it isn't ticked.

Sorry that may be too simple, but worth a check?

Also, as per above, please check you're virus-free. Eset nod32 has a free trial, and you can easily find working product keys and passwords via a quick googling. (Not to suggest such an illegal course of action, of course) AVG free is also very good.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2015, 13:18:24 »

The files on the flash drive when opened do not say read only when opened direct from that drive. Its when the files are saved to another folder that the problems start.
Do all folders in Windows have 'Read only' as their properties. Because all my folders on this computer do.
What I have just done on the other computer is this......
I copied the Excel files concerned, from their folder in Program files, and saved them to the folder on the left  called 'Downloads'  (Windows 7 OS). During their copying across, a message box appeared, saying 'converting files'. The icons are now slightly different. I can now open these files from that location, and they do not say Read only. I am loathe to copy these files onto the flash drive in case of contamination.
I have now copied the backup files direct from the flash drive to this Downloads folder, and the icons are standard Excel icons, and they open as they should. No Read only in the title. ???  BTW, I am using Office 2003 with 2007 upgrades. Could not get on with the 2013 version, so went back to this version, which normally is superb for me.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2015, 13:19:34 »

Thanks DBG....I have my protection up to date, mate :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2015, 13:24:08 »

Deviator....no mate...I follow you :y
I have been into permissions, and looked at Admin/owner/etc,  permissions, and they basically have all permissions checked.
I'll go up and run a virus scan and a windows wash, see if that helps. :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2015, 13:26:35 »

No worries  :y. Without adding the gremlin of paranoia, no antivirus is 100% perfect - that's why any computer repair place will have maybe half a dozen or more antiviruses for checking PCs. Also just because your antivirus is up to date doesn't guarantee that there's no viruses on the machine, so a full scan is always worth doing in any situation where there's a gremlin in the system.

I'm not the biggest PC expert, not at all; but scanning for viruses whenever there's an issue is the computer equivalent of using axle stands and a jack when you're popping under the car for only 2 mins- 99% a waste of time, but you regret it the one time you're let down.

Will pop the question to a guy at work who knows everything.. see what he can come up with
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2015, 13:29:58 »

Do all folders in Windows have 'Read only' as their properties. Because all my folders on this computer do.

Ahh this makes more sense. Windows protects it's self from the user! The Program Files and the Windows folder do not (by default) have write access to the user. It's quite annoying at times because if I change a system file (In the Windows) folder because I know it cures a fault, Windows quietly in the background thinks I am a virus and puts the original file back.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 15:49:22 »

Terbs, are you getting a yellow bar near the top saying editing is disabled? Often there will also be a "Enable Editting" on the bar ;)

Other things, as well as Excel's own internal Read Only markers are NTFS permissions (who can read and write what), share permissions (if using shares over a network), and file attributes - in particular a Read Only and an Unsafe (downloaded from internet).

NTFS permission will normally inherit from parent, but can be modified on each file, file attributes are normally per file.

If its a laptop, drop it round, failing that, drop me a PM, and I'll remote coming in and have a look for you
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2015, 15:55:53 »

Thanks, J, I'll let you know how I get on :y :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2015, 15:57:38 »

Make sure you have good, proven working copies before you touch anything!!
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2015, 17:04:01 »

Jamie...I have the files on the flash drive saved. The 'Read only' files are in a folder in Program Files.
The non read only files are in the 'Downloads' folder that is in 'Users/Tony....
So if it goes T*ts up, I have got the files backed up on two computers.
So....if you want a go at remote, be my guest :y

For communication purposes, what do you propose. I use TeamSpeak on here normally, but could set up Skype, or just use the phone.

PS....no yellow bar, etc
« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 17:06:41 by terbert »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2015, 17:23:06 »

Going to continue via PM :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.