Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More caravanists  (Read 10004 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: More caravanists
« Reply #30 on: 16 December 2017, 09:22:34 »

Wouldn't call our towing limits silly a ridiculous statement.
I am saying its silly to be limited to such silly speeds.  The solution is not to raise towing limits, but to ban caravans.

Problem solved.

Another utterly ridiculous statement, am I suprised , not one bit.

Don't take Jamie too seriously  ;)

He is too soft. Personally I think all caravans should be burned. Immediately.  ;D

Probably find a nice self combusting Zafira to start them off :o

:P :P :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 December 2017, 09:45:23 »

Wouldn't call our towing limits silly a ridiculous statement.
I am saying its silly to be limited to such silly speeds.  The solution is not to raise towing limits, but to ban caravans.

Problem solved.

Another utterly ridiculous statement, am I suprised , not one bit.
I do like a nice, well reasoned debate ;D

As for UK v European roads, you want to try some European roads.  And for the most part, I think our motorways and major trunk roads are mostly usually in good condition.

Granted, some of our smaller roads, and certainly a lot of town roads aren't great, but you're have to be a pretty ignorant caravanner to make extensive use of them, getting in everyone's way.  But similar Euro roads aren't any better, including those French tree lined lanes, which was probably idyllic 50 years ago, but now the trees have grown, and their roots break up the road surface, on reflection was a poor idea.  Still, nice safety barriers to protect empty farmers fields from drivers who get it wrong, as a dirty great trunk isn't moving much.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 16 December 2017, 09:52:05 »

In order to be allowed to go out and about towing a burger van, it should be compulsory to have a vehicle capable of accelerating at a reasonable pace and powerful enough to get up inclines without slowing to 35. They are fine on motorways, but you don’t want to get stuck behind a 1.6 focus towing even a small van on a country road.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 December 2017, 10:42:06 »

In order to be allowed to go out and about towing a burger van, it should be compulsory to have a vehicle capable of accelerating at a reasonable pace and powerful enough to get up inclines without slowing to 35. They are fine on motorways, but you don’t want to get stuck behind a 1.6 focus towing even a small van on a country road.

Over the years I've had various d1ck heads that just had to get in front of me, to find that the slow caravan in front of him was also stuck behind some other kn0b head not towing. And I've embarrassed a few drivers at a Traffic light Grand Prix when towing when their lane ran out long before they got passed me.  ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #34 on: 16 December 2017, 10:44:56 »

Over the years I've had various d1ck heads that just had to get in front of me, to find that the slow caravan in front of him was also stuck behind some other kn0b head not towing. And I've embarrassed a few drivers at a Traffic light Grand Prix when towing when their lane ran out long before they got passed me.  ;)

That's more the problem, people are more obsessed with mpg than having a car that's up to the job .

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 December 2017, 11:04:40 »

Yep me too,can't beat tractor fuel for lots of torque :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

2boxerdogs

« Reply #36 on: 16 December 2017, 12:43:26 »

Yep me too,can't beat tractor fuel for lots of torque :y :y

You are certainly right my old Terracan used to tow with ease, haven't tried the Jeep yet my cousin is bringing the correct towbar over from the USA in the spring but I really don't forsee any problems with the power that's got !

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 December 2017, 18:31:38 »

The only people who hate towing are those that can't :-X

I can, reverse them as well, but I will never buy own one of the poxy things, even if I buy a transit van,.

The owners should be made to take a test with them,(lorryist's with trailer entitlement, exempted) no matter how long they've held a licence, and they should also be mot'd.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 December 2017, 18:41:30 »

I can, reverse them as well, but I will never buy own one of the poxy things, even if I buy a transit van,.

The owners should be made to take a test with them,(lorryist's with trailer entitlement, exempted) no matter how long they've held a licence, and they should also be mot'd.

A youngster already has to take a test if they want to tow anything substantial  ..... the MOT has been done to death & was kicked into touch a few years ago.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 December 2017, 18:43:38 »

Maybe they should be made to take a further test of when not to sit in the middle lane of a motorway for mile after mile ....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 December 2017, 19:07:45 »

Middle lane hogging applies across the board...

A side effect of dumbing down the car test. Which in turn is why you need a separate test(s) to do anything useful  ::)

Anyone can drive well or badly. But it takes a special type of idiot to sit at 50 in lane one on a motorway in a car or drive with their fog lights only because they can't see and have failed to grasp that a) it's dark and b) a) notwithstanding, they haven't turned the switch far enough to switch the headlights on... Both of which causes them to slam on the brakes at every potential hazard because they can't actually see the road >:( stnuc.

Rant over ::)

Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 December 2017, 19:13:31 »

Middle lane hogging applies across the board...

A side effect of dumbing down the car test. Which in turn is why you need a separate test(s) to do anything useful  ::)

Anyone can drive well or badly. But it takes a special type of idiot to sit at 50 in lane one on a motorway in a car or drive with their fog lights only because they can't see and have failed to grasp that a) it's dark and b) a) notwithstanding, they haven't turned the switch far enough to switch the headlights on... Both of which causes them to slam on the brakes at every potential hazard because they can't actually see the road >:( stnuc.

Rant over ::)

You mean DRLs  ???

2boxerdogs

« Reply #42 on: 16 December 2017, 19:16:24 »

Don't see any problems with reversing a caravan , piece of piss just common sense & confidence even SWMBO can park ours up.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 December 2017, 19:21:13 »

even SWMBO can park ours up.

My SWMBO has only driven my car once in over 5 yrs  .... & that was only around a caravan site .... no chance of towing and as for reversing a caravan, she only goes backwards in her car if she really really has to.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #44 on: 16 December 2017, 19:30:57 »

even SWMBO can park ours up.

My SWMBO has only driven my car once in over 5 yrs  .... & that was only around a caravan site .... no chance of towing and as for reversing a caravan, she only goes backwards in her car if she really really has to.

Mine drives the Jeep at every opportunity says she prefers it to her Forester, but dislikes the Merc to drive.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.