Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear pass side break kine  (Read 3448 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Rear pass side break kine
« on: 27 October 2018, 13:25:08 »

Just come back with no breaks. Not even a break light on so checked the reservoir and it’s empty so had. Look on ground we’re been parked an looks like it’s leaking above the exhaust pipe area anyone know the fittings and pipe type or size? Cannot get under their today as it’s raining.  Looks like the only area on main line.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Rear pass side break kine
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 15:08:34 »

It could easily be leaking from anywhere between the reservoir and the subframe.

The only sensible advice is to get it recovered to a garage. Especially as a)you can't be bother to get underneath it; b)you don't really want brake fluid in your face; c) it will need to have the abs pump actuated in order to bleed it once repaired as the unit will be full of air; d) just because that's where it's dripping from doesn't mean that's where the leak is, so it needs a proper inspection, see also a)...s
Onanists always think outside the box.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2018, 17:25:06 »

I’ve been under with camara and it gone on the flex line or the cotection or pipe in that area. I’ve driven meany times before with no breaks.  Gears clutch and engine that how I was taught when I was driving. I replaced abs pump awhile ago when valve stuck closed. Anyone one know were to get the flex pipes from or part number please  no numbers on the pipe thanks

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2018, 17:45:39 »

You can buy the hoses from most factors: front/rears are £20/£10 from ECP. Nobody will sell you a pre-made pipe, but they're made using a flaring tool from cheap stock materials and fittings

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2018, 18:01:46 »

I’ve been under with camara and it gone on the flex line or the cotection or pipe in that area. I’ve driven meany times before with no breaks.  Gears clutch and engine that how I was taught when I was driving. I replaced abs pump awhile ago when valve stuck closed. Anyone one know were to get the flex pipes from or part number please  no numbers on the pipe thanks

FFS .... don't drive your car with no brakes.  You might be me on the roads somewhere near me & my family. Do as Doc G has said & get your car recovered to somewhere that will sort it for you.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2018, 18:05:08 »

..... Nobody will sell you a pre-made pipe, ...

Doesnt Vauxhall still sell them?  :-\ Probably an 4rse to fit though even if they do.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2018, 18:25:12 »

If you have a brake pipe flaring tool then the pipe itself can be bought in rolls from a motor factor as can the ends[I use kunifer pipe]other than that motor factors will make you one if you take your original pipe in to them[so they can measure for length] I suppose any local garage can do the same.Don't drive the thing anywhere that's just dangerous and downright irresponsible not to mention illegal.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2018, 19:00:00 »

thaks get it ordered on monday. and its not dangerous to drive with no brakes and not illegal, brake failure is covered in the highway code and advanced driving, also under the equivalent to driving on ice. handbrake is the emergency braking system not just for parking up, that's why it tested as it is on an mot. and it was the break warning fluid light that's not come on. Any way parked up till fixed anyway.   

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2018, 19:17:15 »

Driving without brakes is incredibly dangerous, you’ve only got to be doing 30mph and for a little kid to step out in front of you.

Clutch/gears/hand brake would be useless in that situation, what is more scary is that you think it’s acceptable to continue.  :o

Also it’s brake, not break. You are not on a tea break when slowing a car.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2018, 20:46:27 »

Driving without brakes is incredibly dangerous, you’ve only got to be doing 30mph and for a little kid to step out in front of you.

Clutch/gears/hand brake would be useless in that situation, what is more scary is that you think it’s acceptable to continue.  :o

Also it’s brake, not break. You are not on a tea break when slowing a car.

What he said  .....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2018, 21:24:24 »

The light coming on or not is irrelevant as you should physically be checking it periodically any way :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2018, 21:53:23 »

The light coming on or not is irrelevant as you should physically be checking it periodically any way :-X
Besides, if your car is a manual, the clutch not working should have rung a very loud alarm bell, especially if you are and 'advanced' driver :-X

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2018, 22:47:41 »

My local factor will no longer make up brake pipes for me 'for insurance reasons', but he allows me to do it with his kit.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2018, 01:15:42 »

thaks get it ordered on monday. and its not dangerous to drive with no brakes and not illegal, brake failure is covered in the highway code and advanced driving, also under the equivalent to driving on ice. handbrake is the emergency braking system not just for parking up, that's why it tested as it is on an mot. and it was the break warning fluid light that's not come on. Any way parked up till fixed anyway.

Try giving your reasoning that driving with no brakes is not dangerous nor illegal to the Traffic Police Officer that attends your accident (who incidentally will be a Class 1 Advanced Driver, not one of the attendees on the few 'courses' given by the Institute of Advanced Motorists either) to scrape up your bits (or more importantly, any 3rd party that you take out with you). And then try explaining it to the enivitable Court of Law that you would without doubt be appearing in front of....
And then to your insurance company....
The reference to brake failure / driving on ice is in relation to a sudden vehicle defect causing brake failure / sudden changes in weather conditions, not the blatant disregard for your and anyone elses' safety by driving a completely dangerous and unroadworthy vehicle knowing the defect is present.
The efficiency of a vehicles handbrake always used to be 16% to pass an MOT test, and although the figures may be a little different for today's vehicles, this minimum efficiency would do very little to stop the vehicle in the event of a sudden emergency.
But then, we all know you are only trying to wind us up about your total disregard for road safety - seriously, aren't you?  :y But frighteningly, maybe you're not.....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2018, 09:10:40 »

I suspect many of us have lost footbrake function near home, and, after inspection, crept home a mile or so at reduced speed with extreme caution. My son Ben did so a few years back, having suffered a copper brake pipe fracturing. The original steel pipes were much stronger, but MOT testers delight in spotting surface rust on them.

I have not read that towing a car on the highway is illegal. If a car has no brakes, it should be the towing car. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.