Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K&N cone type air filters  (Read 2538 times)

hoj

• Intermediate Member
  • BURY
    • View Profile
K&N cone type air filters
« on: 25 April 2016, 18:17:25 »

Anyone fitted any type of air filter other than the original square type?
I'm talking about the cone shaped universal fit ones you see on fleabay for £20
Do they work? Can they be fitted and not cause complications with airflow sensors etc etc
Do they actually do what it says on the tin?
Petrol engine
« Last Edit: 25 April 2016, 18:18:58 by hoj »
3.2 Elite in Oyster

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: K&N cone type air filters
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2016, 18:30:11 »

I have fitted a few lol

The only meter that was never affected by the retention oil is the flappy AFM. Now there is hot film or wires that get burned

Although there a some stainless filters that have no oil and the apexi power filter the zlet owners use again is dry

Edit:
They can and will loose you power on hot days,  when your stuck in traffic and junctions

Can gain power on cold days and when it's raining + hydraulic  your lump when you plough through that big puddle
« Last Edit: 25 April 2016, 18:36:54 by frostbite »
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2016, 18:35:09 »

What are you hoping to achieve? Both foam and cotton filters need to be oiled, which doesn't do the MAF any good. Their main advantages are that the oil filters even when dirty and they can be cleaned, which are good if you operate in really dusty conditions.

The stock paper filter is efficient, quiet and cheap.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2016, 18:41:53 »

Oem paper filter has far more surface area. Just look at the size of the pleats, cheaper too

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2016, 18:53:12 »

Every single cone type I've seen on an Omega has had a negative impact on performance.

The standard filter is so large, its the most performant.  The GM one is better than most patterns due to surface area - measure them side by side to see ;)
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2016, 18:56:27 »

Oem paper filter has far more surface area. Just look at the size of the pleats, cheaper too

It does, but a good oiled cotton filter works differently and so can flow and filter a similar amount of air using a smaller area. Which is why they're so useful for engine swaps. Somewhere K&N used to list how much power each of their filters would support; even the tiny, thin ones for Minis are good for over 100bhp

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2016, 20:54:23 »

I've got one of these Jetex filters fitted at the moment LINK, It's larger than most of its type I could find. As for any power gains that's not the reason I have one fitted, I like the noise they make pure an simple. Even if it means less power and the ocasional MAF (not had to change a MAF yet, But do have one in the boot spare) for me personally its worth it, for other people it isn't.. Depends what you want  :y

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2016, 21:25:53 »

Sound is only as good as the engine it's on,  my v70 howled with a cone, my merc growled for a v6. Any 4 banger just sounds rubbish just like a hoover

I never got to put one on my 2.5cdx it got written off by an impatient lady driver,  but if it sounds like a veccy gsi then I wouldn't have kept it on

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2016, 23:09:12 »

Sound is only as good as the engine it's on,  my v70 howled with a cone, my merc growled for a v6. Any 4 banger just sounds rubbish just like a hoover

I never got to put one on my 2.5cdx it got written off by an impatient lady driver,  but if it sounds like a veccy gsi then I wouldn't have kept it on

They sound good (IMO) on the 3.2 V6 Omega, Sound is more of a deep growling in the lower RPMs while pulling up a hill for instance.. Kinda like a grizzly bear growling  ;D  ..On full acceleration the sound is a mix of howling / growl... While cruising along there's hardly any difference compared to the original air box.

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2016, 07:22:06 »

With cone filter you will get a lot of intake growl, esspecially noticable when giving a lot of throtle on low revs. But make sure to keep the intake pipe (one that goes from infront of rads to the airbox) and chopp the top off, and make it so that the air is forced into it while driving -> this will give you some more cold air (sucking in hot air from the engine bay will be the main issue).
Also, most of the cones are oil-covered -> this realy isn't good for the hot-wire MAF, especially if you over-oil it.

I've had a K&N cone on my previous V6 -> the sound was great, but it was really affected with the hot engine bay on low speeds -> cone now lives on the shelf in the garage.
I do like the sound, so I have done another 'boy-racer' mod - drilling the airbox (severak 8mm holes on the bottom, front and wing side of the airbox) -> keeps the OEM filter (as you will not get more air flow with 'performance' ones), no danger for the MAF (no oil) and didn't notice the effect of the hot air.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2016, 13:07:48 »

Ive used a K&N Filter in the past on my 3.0's, the Panel type that replaces original, cant honestly say you notice any difference in performance on its own, but when used with other mods, ie, Re Chip, Widened Throttle Bodies, some inlet polishing, slightly free'er flowing exhaust etc, then things do start to improve.  ;) 
« Last Edit: 27 April 2016, 13:09:20 by zirk »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2016, 13:16:34 »

Every single cone type I've seen on an Omega has had a negative impact on performance.

The standard filter is so large, its the most performant.  The GM one is better than most patterns due to surface area - measure them side by side to see ;)

Not to mention that sucking in warm air is one of the easiest ways to dumb down an engine's performance and that there's no way you can ensure a cone filter doesn't draw warm air in from the engine bay. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2016, 14:21:09 »

Not to mention that sucking in warm air is one of the easiest ways to dumb down an engine's performance and that there's no way you can ensure a cone filter doesn't draw warm air in from the engine bay. ::)

There is a way but it's 200 squids,  pipercross viper or k&n typhoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.