Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front shock absorbers  (Read 1430 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Front shock absorbers
« on: 27 April 2016, 16:54:03 »

Opinions please....In the process of changing the front shocks on my omega..desmond.....I have new gas struts..new coil springs,,dust covers..top mounts and top bearings.....however on inspection I have noticed that the new coil springs ( monroe ) do not appear to be quite as big diameter as the original vauxhall springs....I have weighed them and the old ones weigh approx 2lb more than the new ones...I have checked and the new ones are correct for the car and look the same in every other way....so seeing as the old ones are 15 years old but appear to be ok,should I fit the new ones or just re-use the old genuine v.x.ones.....may be a stupid question but just need advice and opinions please...thanks.. :-\

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Front shock absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2016, 16:55:01 »

That is 2lb heavier each spring... :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2016, 21:37:07 »

Keep the std springs.  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2016, 09:10:06 »

I would confirm the new Monroe springs are correct for the car and fit the new ones.

Weight difference could be down to Monroe using a different spring steel to the original ZF units but they are a well respected and reliable manufacturer so should be fine

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2016, 23:44:13 »

Thank you for confirming that.and I will go ahead with building up two new struts ready just to swop over,, :y :)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2016, 23:51:31 »

Opinions please....In the process of changing the front shocks on my omega..desmond.....I have new gas struts..new coil springs,,dust covers..top mounts and top bearings.....however on inspection I have noticed that the new coil springs ( monroe ) do not appear to be quite as big diameter as the original vauxhall springs....I have weighed them and the old ones weigh approx 2lb more than the new ones...I have checked and the new ones are correct for the car and look the same in every other way....so seeing as the old ones are 15 years old but appear to be ok,should I fit the new ones or just re-use the old genuine v.x.ones.....may be a stupid question but just need advice and opinions please...thanks.. :-\
Been meaning to ask this one......Why are you going to swap a pair of good VX springs.  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2016, 09:36:03 »

'Not broken' would be a better description.

The fact they are 15 years old means the spring steel will have weakened and the ride height variation will have increased, this obviously results in greater camber variation (and we all know what that causes) as well as impacting ride and handling.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2016, 13:42:19 »

The first Omega I had (a loooong time ago LOL) had to have new rear shocks and springs due to a broken pigtail on one spring and a leaking shock on the other side, once that work was complete, it was immediately obvious how 'wallowy' the front end was in comparison to the new rear end and this was a three year old car with 65K on the clock.

Ever since then I have always replaced everything suspension wise at the same time on every Omega I've owned since as it's amazing how worn the suspension is as the cars get older. While springs are the real cost items, shock absorbers, droplinks, wishbones, poly bushes (which you move onto the next set of wishbones when the time comes) and even top mounts aren't overly expensive and the end result is a totally sorted chassis with only one visit to get the Geometry set up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.