Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega alignment query  (Read 5449 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Omega alignment query
« on: 28 April 2016, 19:27:53 »

Evening guys.

So. I got the omega on the alignment rack a little while ago due to the car wandering. It turns out the front and rear toe angles were out.

I adjusted the front but rear track rods were seized solid. I'm shortly going to be buying new ones so that will!be all sorted.

However on the motorway the car is definitely improved. But it still feels a touch "wandery". Nowhere near as bad as before. However is it just cos the rear toe is out causing it?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega alignment query
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2016, 19:37:48 »

Evening guys.

So. I got the omega on the alignment rack a little while ago due to the car wandering. It turns out the front and rear toe angles were out.

I adjusted the front but rear track rods were seized solid. I'm shortly going to be buying new ones so that will!be all sorted.

However on the motorway the car is definitely improved. But it still feels a touch "wandery". Nowhere near as bad as before. However is it just cos the rear toe is out causing it?

Tyre pressures to high.,
Hoof'land storeman.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2016, 19:44:54 »

Evening guys.

Tyre pressures to high.,

No mate. Tyre pressures set yesterday to spec. Wandering experienced today  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2016, 20:10:32 »

Any uneven tyre wear?

I had an osf inner edge wear that caused me to correct the steering every few minutes
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2016, 20:22:35 »

Any uneven tyre wear?

I had an osf inner edge wear that caused me to correct the steering every few minutes

No mate. Tyres are new this year (all 4). No wear as yet. And no oddities.

Also new wishbones as of this year too.

It must be the rear toe being out surely?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Stargazer57N

« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2016, 21:14:56 »

Are the Shock absorbers OK as that can cause wandering especially on uneven/potholed roads.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2016, 21:55:00 »

Yes mate all shocks good.

The fact that the toe is out, albeit at the back, does that not scream wandering?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2016, 23:50:04 »

Could also be a shit road surface :D

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2016, 05:54:54 »

Could also be the driver :D

Fixed that for you lol
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2016, 09:22:23 »

For decades I have suffered wandering and twitchy steering after changing track rods. Garages adjusted the tracking with optical gear which improved the steering, but left the steering wheel off centre on running straight ahead.

I devised my method of front wheel alignment about 10 years ago. It's not rocket science, just common sense, on every occasion works first time, and results in a car running straight and true with steering wheel centred, no wander, no twitch. I commend it to the forum.

On publication here it was promptly condemned by Chris and Al, who feared damage to wishbones. In 10 years, running six Omegas, I have suffered no wishbone damage. Supported with wood on axle stands right at the outer end of the wishbones, they ain't stressed.

In the unlikely event of rear wheel toe being out it would be spotted at the same time, and could be corrected, if the adjusters would move.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2016, 09:45:51 »

The issue we found on adjusting the geometry on my old girl - which I was in the garage watching him do it, nattering - was upon altering the rear track rods, how little change in the camber was made. Adjusting the rear track rods from all the way one way, to all the way the other accounted for something like 0.2 change in camber only.

I have a ridiculous 3.2 or thereabouts rear camber, so all we could do was make the toe correct. But rear camber is still miles out. No adjustment of the track rods alters it by a meaningful amount.

Have to say she feels fine to drive. With the wandering feeling you're experiencing, there is the servotronic steering which gives a 'dead zone' in straight ahead position, this is as far as I'm aware designed that way. Could it simply be this you're experiencing?  :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2016, 12:14:46 »

Thanks for the input terry and dbg.

I'm in the fortunate position that my camber front and rear is bang on. Therefore when I get my new track rods I should be able to adjust the toe and not alter the camber too much. Obviously the opposite to what you need, dbg.

Maybe a better way of putting it would be..... What symptoms other than tyre scrub would rear toe being out cause? If one if the answers is wandering then I know I just need to track it up and touch wood all should be good. If it's not then I need to look elsewhere  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2016, 12:31:18 »

When you say front camber is bang on........what is bang on?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2016, 12:36:17 »

Well, ok, when I say bang on I mean in the green. But when I did the alignment my only concern for that day was doing the toe.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2016, 13:02:28 »

And Mr The Bear, the rear camber is the issue I mention above ie: you alter the toe n rear camber simultaneously; as one alters, so does the other. As has been said elsewhere, the rear camber is a compromise.When I got mine done, best we decided was at least have the rear toe spot on, to the minute, rather than have the toe wildly out, in a futile attempt to make the rear camber right.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.