Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: losing coolant quite bad  (Read 1767 times)

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
losing coolant quite bad
« on: 02 January 2011, 15:53:20 »

put about a litre of water back in to coolant bottle a week ago,and now says it needs topping up again...where are these that highlighted to on the car
1. Hbv
2. Leaking Bottle or Cap.
3. Leaking "Dowty Washers" on the Coolant Bridge.
4. Thermostat
5. Oil Cooler Plate.
 have changed the hbv valve....would you be able to see the coolant leaking on any of the above...
is there anywhere else that it could leak out off....
the car is running fine with no issues only problem is it does steam abit out the exhaust,could this be anything to do with it

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
Re: losing coolant quite bad
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2011, 17:14:24 »

There is a coolant shut off valve for the interior heating that has been known to leak. There are 3 pipes going to the valve and it is vacum controlled.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2011, 18:22:34 »

There is a coolant shut off valve for the interior heating that has been known to leak. There are 3 pipes going to the valve and it is vacum controlled.

Thats the HBV mate, and the OP has already changed it.

Washers on coolant bridge is at back of engine in the 'V', and the oil cooler plate is also in the 'V' - see maintenance guide for oil cooler replacement

Howto -   http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1221081908

Parts diag - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1211220529
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 18:25:41 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2011, 18:32:41 »

put about a litre of water back in to coolant bottle a week ago,and now says it needs topping up again...where are these that highlighted to on the car
1. Hbv
4. Thermostat
5. Oil Cooler Plate.
 have changed the hbv valve....would you be able to see the coolant leaking on any of the above...
is there anywhere else that it could leak out off
the car is running fine with no issues only problem is it does steam abit out the exhaust,could this be anything to do with it

with some antifreeze mixtures/colours it can be difficult to spot a leak.

might be worth draining the cooling system and refilling with the bright pink/red antifreeze for a week or two, then go looking at the usual suspect areas.

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2011, 19:19:26 »

1. Hbv
4. Thermostat
5. Oil Cooler Plate.
is there anywhere else that it could leak out off

with some antifreeze mixtures/colours it can be difficult to spot a leak.

might be worth draining the cooling system and refilling with the bright pink/red antifreeze for a week or two, then go looking at the usual suspect areas.

with the way it going can nearly drain itself..... :) :) :)

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2011, 19:30:27 »

Washers on coolant bridge is at back of engine in the 'V', and the oil cooler plate is also in the 'V' - see maintenance guide for oil cooler replacement

would i be able to tell if i take the top of the engine and look.......does the parts come with oil cooler or can the parts be got seperate if it is that...

markfree

« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2011, 19:49:43 »

would i be able to tell if i take the top of the engine and look.......does the parts come with oil cooler or can the parts be got seperate if it is that...

Easiest way to find your leak is to take off the bag-pipes at the front of the enging, shine a torch in there and if you can see any coolant then it's pretty likely it's either thermostat, oil-cooler plate or coolant bridge.
Whip the inlets off and dry up all the coolant and then do a pressure test (there's a guide how-to-do-this) and that should pin-point your coolant leak  :y

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2011, 20:16:12 »

1. Hbv
4. Thermostat
5. Oil Cooler Plate.
is there anywhere else that it could leak out off....
I wouldn't worry too much about this as is usual for these.  :y

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2011, 20:17:10 »

Easiest way to find your leak is to take off the bag-pipes at the front of the enging, shine a torch in there and if you can see any coolant then it's pretty likely it's either thermostat, oil-cooler plate or coolant bridge.
Whip the inlets off and dry up all the coolant and then do a pressure test (there's a guide how-to-do-this) and that should pin-point your coolant leak  :y

the what pipes?although i would probably understand once i see them when i open bonnet :) :)

pressure test looks a good way to go to find it,can get the bits in work to do that so easy enough

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2011, 20:30:12 »

the what pipes?although i would probably understand once i see them when i open bonnet :) :)

pressure test looks a good way to go to find it,can get the bits in work to do that so easy enough

Two big black pipes connected to throttle bodies at front of plenum :y
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2011, 21:22:27 »

Two big black pipes connected to throttle bodies at front of plenum :y

ah i know what they look like now,knew i would thanks....... :)

2nddaniel

• Heywood
  • I swerve for HGV's.
    • Omega 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Cheesey peas
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2016, 20:05:20 »

Love this forum. Thanks to everyone's discussions above, I've been able to track down a coolant leak that let steam rise from the bonnet at seemingly random moments that I couldn't replicate at home.
HBV valve. I don't know what the abbvs stand for, but I'll be replacing it. It gushes when I turn the heater to cold and stops when turned to hot. Looked for it after reading this post.
I send my thanks back in time to 2011.
Weapons officer, prepare to fire.

I am prepared. I'm the weapons officer.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2016, 20:23:14 »

Love this forum. Thanks to everyone's discussions above, I've been able to track down a coolant leak that let steam rise from the bonnet at seemingly random moments that I couldn't replicate at home.
HBV valve. I don't know what the abbvs stand for, but I'll be replacing it. It gushes when I turn the heater to cold and stops when turned to hot. Looked for it after reading this post.
I send my thanks back in time to 2011.

HBV means Heater Bypass Valve, and is a common failure on common Vauxhalls. Which means it's readily available, from about £6 upwards depending on whether you feel the need for a dealer-supplied part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.