Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ITV 7:30  (Read 1898 times)

STEMO

ITV 7:30
« on: 14 February 2019, 19:29:26 »

Too old to drive?  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: ITV 7:30
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2019, 19:51:52 »

No such thing. Its illogical. Many people on the roads are too stupid, selfish, inept etc. to drive regardless of age.
Faculties can deteriorate with age though, which can be a problem, but I believe everyone should face regular testing to prove ability to be a road user.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2019, 20:27:31 »

I think everyone should be re-assesed every few years.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2019, 20:56:45 »

I think everyone should be re-assesed every few years.
I, at 65, am not fussy on driving in the dark, esp on motorways. I can do it proficiently, in my opinion, but it's not exactly relaxed driving. I get very annoyed at these new, blindingly bright headlights but, as there's eff all I can do about it, I just have to grin and bear it.
I drive around 16-17,000 miles a year, so I think most of it is still second nature. But there's always the unexpected event waiting around the corner, so you have to be on your guard constantly, and I think that is what tires older drivers.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2019, 21:49:28 »

Too old to drive?  ::)
It should be a 45min test when you get doddery to see if you are still ok on the road.
However If you fail then your car should be crushed with you in it.  ;D ;D ;D

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2019, 07:20:37 »

STEMO, speak to your optician.
I have suffered for years with bright light.
For night driving I now have glasses with an anti glare coating with normal lenses
They help greatly, don't eliminate all the glare but they really help

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2019, 07:56:21 »

I watched it .
Impossible to be specific as to whom and when driving becomes unsafe .
A suitable test every two years from 70 to every year at 80 +.
Insurance companies will have a good database as to the reducing capabilities of aging drivers if it could be prised from their greedy grasping hands .

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2019, 08:36:33 »

How the Spanish tackle it is you have to have a medical every five years from age of 65.

Medical consists of blood pressure, discussion with the expert about your health and conditions.

You do a physical test which changes each year. Mine was to steer two objects independently along two different narrow twisty roads that scrolled down the screen. You had a joystick for each hand.

Then a standard sort of eye test wearing your driving glasses.

Then a fairly bizarre hearing test. The guy got a tuning fork and stood behind you and asked when you could hear it and with which ear as he moved it about.

It is a pass/ fail with licence withdrawal if you fail. Dont know if you can have anothergo at the coordination test as none cmputer game players would I suspect find it difficult.

You also have  to take the “ medical “ on getting a licence or exchanging  one.

Customer pays and it is around £40.

I agree it is impossible to say when driving becomes unsafe. My 92 year old dad avoids night driving and unknown scenarios. Typical of older drivers. No way could he do 100 mph in fast lane and then cut across three lanes at the lastminute for a nearly missed turn but then he wouldnt go on a motorway.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2019, 10:59:08 »

How the Spanish tackle it is you have to have a medical every five years from age of 65.

Medical consists of blood pressure, discussion with the expert about your health and conditions.

You do a physical test which changes each year. Mine was to steer two objects independently along two different narrow twisty roads that scrolled down the screen. You had a joystick for each hand.

Then a standard sort of eye test wearing your driving glasses.

Then a fairly bizarre hearing test. The guy got a tuning fork and stood behind you and asked when you could hear it and with which ear as he moved it about.

It is a pass/ fail with licence withdrawal if you fail. Dont know if you can have anothergo at the coordination test as none cmputer game players would I suspect find it difficult.

You also have  to take the “ medical “ on getting a licence or exchanging  one.

Customer pays and it is around £40.

I agree it is impossible to say when driving becomes unsafe. My 92 year old dad avoids night driving and unknown scenarios. Typical of older drivers. No way could he do 100 mph in fast lane and then cut across three lanes at the lastminute for a nearly missed turn but then he wouldnt go on a motorway.
According to the law in the UK, you can drive if you're deaf and, if you lose the sight of one eye, you should not drive for three months to give yourself time to adjust. Obviously both of those conditions would be a fail in Spain. [sarcastic mode on/] That's obviously why the standard of driving is so much better over there [sarcastic mode off]

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2019, 11:05:33 »

STEMO, speak to your optician.
I have suffered for years with bright light.
For night driving I now have glasses with an anti glare coating with normal lenses
They help greatly, don't eliminate all the glare but they really help
I have a pair of these yellow, anti-glare glasses, Keith, but they give me a headache. I don't need to wear glasses to drive, I'm one of the reading glasses brigade, fine with distance. Thank goodness for my self dimming rear view mirror, that saves being dazzled front and rear.

If the road is quiet, so it's just the odd 4Kw headlight I have to contend with, they get the full beam treatment.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2019, 11:07:13 by STEMO »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2019, 11:11:24 »

It appears that excessively bright headlights have taken over from silly chasing LED indicators as the "manhood size compensatory feature" on German prestige cars these days. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2019, 11:38:40 »

It appears that excessively bright headlights have taken over from silly chasing LED indicators as the "manhood size compensatory feature" on German prestige cars these days. ::)

Ah yes - w*anker lights!

Ron.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2019, 22:26:57 »

I`m sure we all encounter the odd driver having a moment on their journey.
They might be senior citizen in need of a little extra time & room, but we make allowances  :y
Other inconsiderate drivers must be their biggest nightmare >:(

I think when you reach the age of 70 a huge PA system is installed on yer Micra  ::)
My Mum would have loved that , 4 ft 11 inches of pure dynamite  :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.