Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 misfire, water in no. 6 and scuttle foam sodden  (Read 3776 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: V6 misfire, water in no. 6 and scuttle foam sodden
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2018, 21:47:05 »

Inspired by charlieboy's exhaust thread, I checked this car's history. In December 2016 it suffered a misfire in no. 6, which I 'cured' with a plug change. I did not trace the cause, the sodden scuttle foam. I hope this year I have rectified the underlying cause.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2018, 23:38:02 »

You havn't cured the leak though Terry, and now without the foam it is harder to tell if your scuttle is leaking or not.  ::)

Granted you havn't got the foam storing the water and dripping all over your dispack though....  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2018, 11:52:01 »

Not really.

Make sure that both parts of the trim are securely attached to the base of the windscreen.

When I got the Project MV6 from James he had just replaced the coil packs. After a little while I discovered that the scuttle foam was soaking wet and that the windscreen trim was insecure. I ended up pulling the trim off (and separating both parts) and giving it a good scrub to get all the moss out.

Since I did that the foam has remained dry. Pulling the foam off doesn't prevent the leaks it merely gets rid of the evidence..........
Thanks for the enlightenment. I used to believe windscreen trims were glued on. Son Jonny recently had a windscreen replaced and complained to me that the side trims was coming out. I contacted Autoglass, they came along, said it should be a push fit, then glued it in place. In the past I have glued on loose bottom trims. Next time I shall pull the bottom trim off and reseat everything properly.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2018, 14:54:32 »

Not really.

Make sure that both parts of the trim are securely attached to the base of the windscreen.

When I got the Project MV6 from James he had just replaced the coil packs. After a little while I discovered that the scuttle foam was soaking wet and that the windscreen trim was insecure. I ended up pulling the trim off (and separating both parts) and giving it a good scrub to get all the moss out.

Since I did that the foam has remained dry. Pulling the foam off doesn't prevent the leaks it merely gets rid of the evidence..........
Thanks for the enlightenment. I used to believe windscreen trims were glued on. Son Jonny recently had a windscreen replaced and complained to me that the side trims was coming out. I contacted Autoglass, they came along, said it should be a push fit, then glued it in place. In the past I have glued on loose bottom trims. Next time I shall pull the bottom trim off and reseat everything properly.
And that will cure it, and without having to sacrifice the sound deadening (which doesn't cure the problem anyway) :y
Grumpy old man

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2018, 16:11:14 »

Not really.

Recently had autoglass to replace a windscreen on mine, what a laugh that was after taking 3 attempts. The parts do all clip together and no glue should be necessary. The final pair of fitters explained that if you don't have experience of doing Omegas and fit everything together in the right order and the right direction then the trims will keep coming loose and also not sit correctly.

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2018, 16:41:34 »

The Sound deadening basics: a) doesn't work and b) it holds about a litre of water.

Does removing it stop the scuttle leaking? No. But it does stop the water from collecting and dripping onto the coil pack/camcover.

So is removing it an effective cure to the issue of wet coil packs and plug wells? Yes.

We will have to agree to disagree on the technical merits of spending an afternoon trying to get 17 year old heat soaked plastics to fit neatly versus two minutes spent removing some soggy foam ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2018, 17:01:30 »

Or you could spend 2 minutes putting a bead of silicon on the edge of the cabin filter box where the end of the scuttle sits.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2018, 19:21:23 »

I'm sure a member previously hand-crafted an extra plastic cover, held on by some of the existing plenum bolts, to belt-and-braces the job.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2018, 20:09:52 »

The Sound deadening basics: a) doesn't work and b) it holds about a litre of water.

Does removing it stop the scuttle leaking? No. But it does stop the water from collecting and dripping onto the coil pack/camcover.

So is removing it an effective cure to the issue of wet coil packs and plug wells? Yes.

We will have to agree to disagree on the technical merits of spending an afternoon trying to get 17 year old heat soaked plastics to fit neatly versus two minutes spent removing some soggy foam ;)

I'm with you. The original trim is supposed to divert the water away from stuff underneath it. It doesn't do this very well, and the foam makes the problem much worse. Removing the foam makes no difference to the noise inside the car, and eliminates any issues scuttle leaks might cause.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2018, 10:07:55 »

I made an aluminium tray bolted to the plenum to divert water.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2018, 10:08:37 »

But either way, you still need to fix the leak. A fix that makes the foam removal unnecessary.  Personally, I'd rather fix a problem properly, but everyone is entitled to do as they please on their own property :y

And, as a sound deadening, it works ok. Its easy to tell, from the cabin, a car that's had the foam removed.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2018, 10:10:52 »

Or you could spend 2 minutes putting a bead of silicon on the edge of the cabin filter box where the end of the scuttle sits.  ;)
That doesn't fix the usual cause of this, which is water running down screen, and under the lower seal (because its not properly clipped on the windscreen), and then dripping on back of engine, and some soaking into foam.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.