Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Herts Police get thier knuckles wrapped for using too much ANPR Cameras.  (Read 2344 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

I don't see a problem, TBH. The teams who operate these schemes are generally after the perpetrators of serious crime - murder, rape, drug and people trafficking, car theft, large scale burglary, etc.

They are very against their data being used for mithering people over trivia like petty speeding because they have such big fish to fry. Solving the big crimes does tend to require that you can trace all vehicles in and out of an area around the time of the crime.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile

Thurrock has a full ANPR setup as well, along with signs on all entry points to the area stating so.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile

I don't see a problem, TBH. The teams who operate these schemes are generally after the perpetrators of serious crime - murder, rape, drug and people trafficking, car theft, large scale burglary, etc.

They are very against their data being used for mithering people over trivia like petty speeding because they have such big fish to fry. Solving the big crimes does tend to require that you can trace all vehicles in and out of an area around the time of the crime.

Tend to agree with you on the crime side TBH Kevin, but Im sure some will say just another revenue spinner from motorists.  :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile

Thurrock has a full ANPR setup as well, along with signs on all entry points to the area stating so.

Yep, Southend is the same, along with soon or is now Basildon.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

Yep, as do most motorway services. Popular places tor associates to meet and exchange dodgy material and the proceeds thereof.

Tend to agree with you on the crime side TBH Kevin, but Im sure some will say just another revenue spinner from motorists.  :-\

I have spoken to the ANPR guy at a local force about this. He initially decided to flag up cars without tax, mot & insurance. Screen in the control room was a blur, so that got filtered out! They aren't really about catching motorists, or profiting from them, but those who use vehicles in the process of carrying out much more serious crime, hence he is very keen to keep the public in support.

Distributing NIPs by the dozen would undermine that support. Or so I was told, anyway. I'm sure somewhere, some desk jockey is thinking that, rather than solve crimes that cause the public real misery, they could sell the data to insurance companies or issue a bucket load of SP30s, though. ::)

They'd have to get through this guy first, and I don't rate their chances. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

Oh, the shame!... If someone had a record of me visiting Basildon. :o

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile

Yep, as do most motorway services. Popular places tor associates to meet and exchange dodgy material and the proceeds thereof.

I have spoken to the ANPR guy at a local force about this. He initially decided to flag up cars without tax, mot & insurance. Screen in the control room was a blur, so that got filtered out! They aren't really about catching motorists, or profiting from them, but those who use vehicles in the process of carrying out much more serious crime, hence he is very keen to keep the public in support.

Distributing NIPs by the dozen would undermine that support. Or so I was told, anyway. I'm sure somewhere, some desk jockey is thinking that, rather than solve crimes that cause the public real misery, they could sell the data to insurance companies or issue a bucket load of SP30s, though. ::)

They'd have to get through this guy first, and I don't rate their chances. ;)

So we might see one at High Wycombe meet then?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Crazycarzowner

There are loads of em dotted about, static ones over the M62, M6, M56, M53. We also have mobile vans that carry it when out on operations and a couple of the newer BMW's are having it fitted. If I (can) sit for an hour or so with it on the amount of uninsured / taxed vehicles going through is amazing. Not surprising that insurers quote 1 out of 3 cars are not insured  >:( :o Could keep our recovery agents very very busy!

As far as I'm aware (on the sets I've used) ANPR only captures reg. plate data not speed so we wouldn't be sending any SP**'s out Kev.

I am all for targeting non-insured drivers, I pay a hefty premium for the necessity to drive, why shouldn't everyone else pay? Been to many a job where there's been an accident of some sort & 1 driver has either legged it or doesn't have insurance. Really annoys me  >:( >:( >:( Trouble is when they go before the courts (as one of mine did last week) for no license or insurance, he got a £195 fine, and 6 points!!!!! On a license he hasn't got  >:( >:( >:(

Wonder why I bother sometimes ::) ::) ::)

05omegav6

Oh, the shame!... If someone had a record of me visiting BasildonRomford. :o
:-[

So we might see one at High Wycombe meet then?
:-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

There are loads of em dotted about, static ones over the M62, M6, M56, M53. We also have mobile vans that carry it when out on operations and a couple of the newer BMW's are having it fitted. If I (can) sit for an hour or so with it on the amount of uninsured / taxed vehicles going through is amazing. Not surprising that insurers quote 1 out of 3 cars are not insured  >:( :o Could keep our recovery agents very very busy!

As far as I'm aware (on the sets I've used) ANPR only captures reg. plate data not speed so we wouldn't be sending any SP**'s out Kev.

I am all for targeting non-insured drivers, I pay a hefty premium for the necessity to drive, why shouldn't everyone else pay? Been to many a job where there's been an accident of some sort & 1 driver has either legged it or doesn't have insurance. Really annoys me  >:( >:( >:( Trouble is when they go before the courts (as one of mine did last week) for no license or insurance, he got a £195 fine, and 6 points!!!!! On a license he hasn't got  >:( >:( >:(

I have to agree .............

apart from we spell licence with a C  ;)  ;)  ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile

I have to agree .............

apart from we spell licence with a C   ;)  ;)  ;)

Here we go again ;D ;D ;D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

If you want to write/speak in American you're welcome to do so!!!!  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Crazycarzowner

I did!! Bloody auto-correct!!!!  ::) ::) ::)

05omegav6

If you want to write/speak in American you're welcome to do so!!!!  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Why bother pulling people up on it then ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

Why bother pulling people up on it then ::)

It's friendly banter!

and because we speak English ... not American (and besides Jason is too big to take the pi$$ out face to face!  ;D  ;D  ;D)

05omegav6

Mouse ;D

Crazycarzowner

No offense.....erm offence taken Andy!  :P

Oh well the night shift beckons, lets see if I can get another sledge hammer chucked at me car whilst pursuing a stolen car on this set of nights!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

lets see if I can get another sledge hammer chucked at me car whilst pursuing a stolen car on this set of nights!!!

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Crazycarzowner

Yep, stolen Vectra SRI, doin 110MPH down the Lancs launched it at me!!!

Needed a quick change in the underwear dept. when I saw that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

I'd have thought that 110mph on the Lancs would have you air born!  ::)

Lucky you did actually see it  ....... it not something you'd want coming through the screen at any speed - let alone a ton plus!  :)

Crazycarzowner

Lets just say, the way he pulled it out of the passenger side window, I well backed off, thinking it was something a bit more deadly. Luckily for me his aim was crap, apart from the fact he nearly fell out. We got em though in the end............

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

For myself I have absolutely no problem with ANPR cameras,after all if you're doing nowt wrong you've nowt to worry about.Both my cars are taxed tested and fully insured,and I have a full-clean-licence to drive them.If I have to pay I don't see why anyone else should get away with not doing so.It's called obeying the law!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

apart from the fact he nearly fell out.
That would have been terrible ......  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

.We got em though in the end............
:y :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

Put it this way. I was told a woman got raped in a town not so far from here a few years back. All she could remember was a vague make, size and colour of the vehicle the sh1tbag was driving.

Not a lot to go on, then. Oh, and the time could be narrowed down to within half an hour or so.

Vehicle description was searched, and from a base of tens of thousands of vehicle movements in/out of the area on the ANPR database, two vehicles popped out. Bobbies were sent out to both registered keepers the day after the event. One was shocked, well meaning, wished them luck with their enquiries. The other was shifty as hell, and hadn't shifted the forensic evidence from his vehicle yet. Job done in a couple of man-hours. I'm told that investigation would have cost in the region of £1M and may not have returned a conviction without ANPR. Had it been my mother/wife/daughter I'd damn well want ANPR, but I just hope that the data can continue to be ring-fenced for such purposes, because the government and insurance companies must be eyeing it up with glee at the moment.  :-\

omega3000

It wasnt me gov  ::) ;D

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile

Put it this way. I was told a woman got raped in a town not so far from here a few years back. All she could remember was a vague make, size and colour of the vehicle the sh1tbag was driving.

Not a lot to go on, then. Oh, and the time could be narrowed down to within half an hour or so.

Vehicle description was searched, and from a base of tens of thousands of vehicle movements in/out of the area on the ANPR database, two vehicles popped out. Bobbies were sent out to both registered keepers the day after the event. One was shocked, well meaning, wished them luck with their enquiries. The other was shifty as hell, and hadn't shifted the forensic evidence from his vehicle yet. Job done in a couple of man-hours. I'm told that investigation would have cost in the region of £1M and may not have returned a conviction without ANPR. Had it been my mother/wife/daughter I'd damn well want ANPR, but I just hope that the data can continue to be ring-fenced for such purposes, because the government and insurance companies must be eyeing it up with glee at the moment.  :-\

and a borrow of jasonM's flying sledgehammer?
 >:(
Carpe Incendium
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.