Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3020334 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #17790 on: 30 January 2019, 21:07:11 »

Put a new pair of front wiper blades on the V70.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17791 on: 31 January 2019, 10:32:00 »

Was it high last time you checked?

If its dumping that much diesel in the sump, you probably need to keep a close, daily eye on it.
It's almost due it's annual service, another couple of months, I think. It has had a few aborted regens over the months, so I'll get it done sooner. It's about 1/4" over the full mark, no panic.
Booked in for Friday. MOT as well, even though it's not due till May 3rd. Comes 'free' with the service.

F-Pace is also booked for a service tomorrow, in fact its a 1k miles overdue !  ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17792 on: 31 January 2019, 17:08:56 »

Enjoyed another bone rattling ride in a BMW M140i Rover 35....

Until I'm totally forced to, I'm not touching 3.2 suspension now, it rides like silk compared to the BMW.
Fixed for accuracy. Something you can regularly use when chatting to your mate
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: 31 January 2019, 17:14:47 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

Nearly had to go back for my car.....

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)
Why ???

It was raining all evening yesterday, then it snowed and then temperature dropped below freezing...

Any moisture inside the unsealed flap would freely condense onto any surface and promptly freeze.

And I thought you were bright...  ::)

No different to doors freezing onto saturated/wet frame seals, which incidentally are air tightish not water tight... And given that they're designed to be opened with a sub 10lb pull, no wonder that people break everything trying to rip the doors open with one foot on the adjacent panel ::)
Never had any opening, be it boot, bonnet, door or fuel filler frozen so much I couldn't open it.  I've had it where you can feel the door on the seal as you open, but not "stuck"

And we having seen cold temps for a few years TBH, so its a bit poor if people are finding things frozen shut, IMHO.

In proper cold (sub -15C before windchill) I've had the door key slots have a layer of ice over, which needs digging out with the key blade...   ...but can't remember the last car I had that needed a key to open.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: 31 January 2019, 17:15:49 »

Probably my last works van, a Fi-fi from the 90s.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: 01 February 2019, 09:56:15 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)
Why ???

It was raining all evening yesterday, then it snowed and then temperature dropped below freezing...

Any moisture inside the unsealed flap would freely condense onto any surface and promptly freeze.

No different to doors freezing onto saturated/wet frame seals, which incidentally are air tightish not water tight... And given that they're designed to be opened with a sub 10lb pull, no wonder that people break everything trying to rip the doors open with one foot on the adjacent panel ::)
Never had any opening, be it boot, bonnet, door or fuel filler frozen so much I couldn't open it.  I've had it where you can feel the door on the seal as you open, but not "stuck"

And we having seen cold temps for a few years TBH, so its a bit poor if people are finding things frozen shut, IMHO.

In proper cold (sub -15C before windchill) I've had the door key slots have a layer of ice over, which needs digging out with the key blade...   ...but can't remember the last car I had that needed a key to open.

My focus this morning had frozen door handles and latches so once I opened the doors I couldn't re-latch them,took quite a lot of de-icer to get things working again :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: 01 February 2019, 10:33:44 »

Looked at the 6" of snow on and around it and thought "Naaaah." :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: 01 February 2019, 16:45:28 »

Why ???

My focus this morning had frozen door handles and latches so once I opened the doors I couldn't re-latch them,took quite a lot of de-icer to get things working again :-\
I never, ever use de-icer (on my own cars).  I wonder if that might have some bearing on my apparent good luck  :-\
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17798 on: 01 February 2019, 16:47:20 »

Contemplated wiping off the dusting of snow - a mere couple of inches here, looks like Mount Brackley escaped it - but decided it would sort itself by melting by tomorrow.

Easy peasy :)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: 01 February 2019, 16:53:42 »

Worked from home, walked the school run in the morning. Took mummy bus in the afternoon, mummy bus does well in the slush.

Watched with amusement as a lady returned to her car, made a feeble effort to remove small amount of snow from near rear tyres. Got into her BMW 320 and got loads of wheel spin and just sat there spinning and sliding. She gave up.

I was parked next to her, popped the mummy bus in R, foot off and it backed away without drama. Into D, and left her still trying to move.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #17800 on: 01 February 2019, 16:59:25 »

Worked from home, walked the school run in the morning. Took mummy bus in the afternoon, mummy bus does well in the slush.

Watched with amusement as a lady returned to her car, made a feeble effort to remove small amount of snow from near rear tyres. Got into her BMW 320 and got loads of wheel spin and just sat there spinning and sliding. She gave up.

I was parked next to her, popped the mummy bus in R, foot off and it backed away without drama. Into D, and left her still trying to move.  ;D
If you put it in +/- Tunnie, you can push it forward and start off in 2nd, or even 3rd if you have trouble getting traction. I only found this out by fiddling about.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: 01 February 2019, 17:03:36 »

Worked from home, walked the school run in the morning. Took mummy bus in the afternoon
So, just to be clear, your idea of "working" from home is to forget the "work" element?

Just saying...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: 01 February 2019, 17:12:48 »

Worked from home, walked the school run in the morning. Took mummy bus in the afternoon
So, just to be clear, your idea of "working" from home is to forget the "work" element?

Just saying...

Lots of working involved, just couple of breaks.  :)

Can still take conf calls walking along, which is what I did.

Besides, as I was up at midnight doing work with Apple earlier in the week, I earned lighter day.  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17803 on: 01 February 2019, 17:20:24 »

If you put it in +/- Tunnie, you can push it forward and start off in 2nd, or even 3rd if you have trouble getting traction. I only found this out by fiddling about.

Didn't know that, cheers  :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: 01 February 2019, 18:05:33 »

Not only is it in the manual, it's what the snow button does ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.