Chat Area > General Car Chat

Fitting a Y32SE to a 1972 scimitar GTE.

(1/23) > >>

MikeyBikey:
Hi, newbie here. 
I have a 1972 scimitar GTE that I sprint & hillclimb and its my everyday roadcar.  I keep destroying the Ford Essex engines and Type 5 / 9 gearboxes despite being upgraded, so for more power / reliability I'm fitting a Y32SE from a police car. It has an R25-R28 gearbox.

I'm in a dilemma re the clutch. The existing dual mass flywheel has a 240mm plate that looks pretty tired. I'm loath to replace all the DMF, as I'm not sure it will cope with track use, so I'm thinking of either

1) converting to SMF and keeping the R25-R28 box.
2) converting to a RX8 gearbox. Parts are available.

So for either option I need to source an early SMF flywheel but then its only a 228mm clutch whereas the omega is 240.  But I've also heard the R25-28 box is not that strong and I should go for R30 ??

So just a tad confused...

Any ideas

TheBoy:
Welcome.

A few of the Irish buy Omegas for drifting, though not sure that puts quite the same strain on the clutch itself.  I've not heard of any reports of the clutch being particularly fragile TBH, and in a lighter car should have a slightly easier time?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: MikeyBikey on 09 June 2019, 17:35:06 ---Hi, newbie here. 
I have a 1972 scimitar GTE that I sprint & hillclimb and its my everyday roadcar.  I keep destroying the Ford Essex engines and Type 5 / 9 gearboxes despite being upgraded, so for more power / reliability I'm fitting a Y32SE from a police car. It has an R25-R28 gearbox.

I'm in a dilemma re the clutch. The existing dual mass flywheel has a 240mm plate that looks pretty tired. I'm loath to replace all the DMF, as I'm not sure it will cope with track use, so I'm thinking of either

1) converting to SMF and keeping the R25-R28 box.
2) converting to a RX8 gearbox. Parts are available.

So for either option I need to source an early SMF flywheel but then its only a 228mm clutch whereas the omega is 240.  But I've also heard the R25-28 box is not that strong and I should go for R30 ??

So just a tad confused...

Any ideas

--- End quote ---

Pretty sure somebody on here put a V6 Omega in a Scimitar.

Much quicker car than with the V6 Essex lump. :)

MikeyBikey:
Yes, there's been two that I know of, but they remained road cars. I'm the only one that wants to put the reult on a track, so having a few conundrums re clutch and gearbox. Is the r25-R28 any good. Any has anyone done the SMF conversion on a petrol car ?

Nick W:
I've just got home from making a start on the first exhaust manifold for a mate's MGB/30XE swap. We're using a stock R28, clutch and flywheel, but that is for a roadcar. However a Scimitar(and MGB) is going to be at least 2/3 the weight of an Omega, so you're going to be putting a lot less strain on a gearbox which isn't known for being weak in its original home. I would be more concerned about the ratios, as getting that wrong makes for a car that drives horribly. You should compare the Scimitar rolling radius and diff ratios to those of the Omega before making a decision.

I'm still trying to convince the owner that he doesn't need to lose the DMF, and that the multi-rams are necessary.

One of the snags with the RX8 box is it's intended for a high revving low-torque engine, so the six closely spaced ratios that still give only a barely overdriven top gear aren't necessarily a good match for a torquey V6 that has a 2500rpm lower redline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version