Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oil change (or not)  (Read 2716 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: oil change (or not)
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2020, 09:09:16 »

yesterday my car was put in for its mot & a service, 8.30 am. it was ready for 11.30. i supplied the oil as i wanted to make sure it was the one reccomended for the vehicle. the fitment is 3.75 ltrs & it was a 5ltr container that i left with them. my drive from the garage to home is less than 1/2ml. when i took the oil can out of my boot i noticed there was only about 3/4 of a ltr left. so i surmise it had been overfilled. i left it whilst today to check. it was up so i sucked it out with a mitivac , but i was left wondering if they actually changed the oil filter as the oil was black looking. the omegas i have had after an oil change it was quite hard to see it. its got me wondering. :-\
Any diesel will turn its oil black in less than a mile.  Older engines you could feel the oil to tell, but better engines and oils makes that less feasible now.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2020, 10:11:47 »

Can you see / tell if the oil filter has been changed ? Not exactly rare for garages not to bother doing it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2020, 23:07:50 »

Can you see / tell if the oil filter has been changed ? Not exactly rare for garages not to bother doing it.
will look to see , but i think i may be doing the garage an injustice, though there is signs of oil spillage where as before the engine bay was spotless

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2020, 23:16:24 »

When I used to put the car into a garage for servicing .. ie .. before I found this site and all its help .... I always put a dab of the wife's nail varnish on the filter ... so if it wasn't changed it was damned obvious .....  after a very short altercation with the "mechanic" on one occasion, the owner was summoned and from that point onwards I never had a problem ......   :)

I now do the same with the audi as I don't do any work on it due to 1) not understanding these weird diseassal machines 2) old  age and incompetence !!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2020, 07:43:20 »

When I used to put the car into a garage for servicing .. ie .. before I found this site and all its help .... I always put a dab of the wife's nail varnish on the filter ... so if it wasn't changed it was damned obvious .....  after a very short altercation with the "mechanic" on one occasion, the owner was summoned and from that point onwards I never had a problem ......   :)

I now do the same with the audi as I don't do any work on it due to 1) not understanding these weird diseassal machines 2) old  age and incompetence !!

What? No more exciting Cook’s Tours of Swindon’s car breakers Nige? What will you do for fun now? ;) ;) ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.