Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP my omega..  (Read 18501 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: RIP my omega..
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2012, 10:21:26 »

Had enough use to blow the bottom hose off. ::)
I had to do a lot of flushing when the cooler went on my p/fl, but this is on a whole different level altogether. ::)
Would the sludge cause the stat to stick open or is that likely to be coincidental ?  :-\

Would not be suprised actually if the thermostat wouldn't shut properly if the amount of gunge you say is in there... ???
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2012, 12:33:16 »

I had to do a lot of flushing when the cooler went on my p/fl, but this is on a whole different level altogether. ::)
Would the sludge cause the stat to stick open or is that likely to be coincidental ?  :-\

Would not be suprised actually if the thermostat wouldn't shut properly if the amount of gunge you say is in there... ???

Neither would I ;)

Guessing it's going to be a lot of flushing Albs :y May be worth pulling the stat out, putting it all back together without one while flushing through, then sticking the new one in :-\

We'll have a chat during the week ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2012, 12:36:58 »

Indeed, sounds like the normal poor diagnosis we have come to expect from garages  :'(

Guessing its had plenty of use with blown cooler, if it has overheated.  That'll be fun. Not!

Thats what the idiot who had Goldie before me did and look what happened there even with a lot of flushing  :(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2012, 12:39:05 »

Guessing it's going to be a lot of flushing Albs :y May be worth pulling the stat out, putting it all back together without one while flushing through, then sticking the new one in :-\

Highly recommended technique from experience

Then once running clear fernox the rad and reverse flush the heater matrix with tap pressure to get rid of all the calcified desposits  :y

albitz

« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2012, 13:46:42 »

Thanks all for the info/ advice. :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2012, 13:57:09 »

Quite possibly Albs - it certainly wouldn't help ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2012, 17:46:32 »

lol, sounds like the suspected poor diag as expected.

If its been run much with a goosed cooler then it will take a fair bit of flushing .

Yep.....as I know from experience. :y

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2012, 19:48:51 »

I have a spare thermostat housing and transfer pipe with no stat in. I will probably put that on and continue flushing - vigorously.
Also have a spare set of hoses,so can swap them once flushing is finished as I would br surprised if the old ones are weakened by the amout of oil chugging around inside them. :y

albitz

« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2012, 18:09:55 »

Pulled the plenum and manifold off today. Very nearly got the stat out. Never done it before, found it to be a bit of a pig. Almost got the link pipe out (one of the seals is visible) but ran out of both daylight and feeling in the fingers,so called it a day. Noticed that oil is is leaking a bit from where the front pipe joins the top of the cooler,so will have to remove coolant bridge and the pipe to hopefully find it needs torquing down properly and not that its cross threaded.Also  oticed that blue Hylomar type sealant used on everything while reassembling so will clean that odd during reassembly.
Got to service a C3 tomorrow,but will hopefully find time to get back on project estate when ive finished the little piece of plastic French  shite. ::)

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2012, 23:55:51 »

Good luck with it Albs and keep us all updated  on the progress you make with it  :y
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2012, 00:38:10 »

Will do mate. :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2012, 00:42:06 »

Doing well so far mate  :y

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2012, 01:22:07 »

So far maybe,but how much further to go ? that is the question. ::) ;D

albitz

« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2012, 03:38:04 »

Took the rad,hbv,all the hoses etc off today - and finished removing the stat.When I looked in the header tank there was fresh looking oil in there.Black rather than mayo.Now Im wondering if there is a bit more to this than meets the eye?
Poirot hat on - cooler was apparently supplied by whoever fixed the car,no reciept for the cooler at the moment as it wasnt given to 999gsi when the car was returned to him. He was told that the old cooler was tested and found to be in good condition.Which is where the head gasket theory came in.
I got the "old cooler" with the car. I have tried testing it by blocking one end while blowing hard into the other end while it was immersed in water. I have no idea if this would be sufficient to show a leak or not ?
One possible explanation for all this would be if the mechanic sourced a second hand cooler,and then got them mixed up and put the old leaking cooler back in the car. Then realising this after starting the car had the choice of ripping everything back out and starting again,or coming up with a plausible story.........i.e. head gasket.
I may be completely wide off the mark,but to me,something doesnt add up. Time will tell. :-\
Do I try to find a definitive method of testing the "old" cooler or just take the "new" cooler out and have a look for clues ?
Not sure at the moment - will decide when I get a chance to get back under the bonnet,possibly on Friday.

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 January 2012, 07:04:18 »

I know it's extra work but surely it would be best to take the oil cooler out and check it first, at least all the flushing wont be for nothing and you know that piece is right.....
best wishes
Simon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.