Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bose system  (Read 4116 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
bose system
« on: 10 February 2018, 09:12:59 »

my last mig had a ccr600 with a bose system. my present mig has the same radio but has not got bose amps etc. when the first mig got scrapped I kept the bose system ccr600 radio but nothing else. is this radio no good to me or will it work ok in my present mig that hasn't got a bose system,

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: bose system
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2018, 09:54:27 »

The Bose system is really the seperate Bose Amp and Bose Speaker system, the HU, in your case the older ccr600 Bose version, is, well in a word, kind of tuned to work with the Amp and Speakers, so unless youve kept all of the components your old Bose HU isnt much good to you, having said that nothing to stop sourcing an Bose Amp and Speakers from another Omega and doing a retro fit with your old HU, Your need all the wiring loom as well.  ;) 

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2018, 10:18:45 »

The Elite I'm breaking has the bose amp and speakers if you are interested Ray
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2018, 10:22:14 »

Please lighten my darkness - what is different/special about the Bose system? Just extra amplification?

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2018, 10:53:23 »

Please lighten my darkness - what is different/special about the Bose system? Just extra amplification?

Ron.
Its a bit more Amplification, not much more, but gives a cleaner sound and wider spectrum and dynamic range due to an Active Amp driving its own speaker set up, plus a Sub Base.

Bit old hat now by today's standards but it does seem to do what it says on the tin, hated by some on this Forum due to its age but it sounds ok over the standard set up in my book.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90490.0

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2018, 11:09:01 »

Pas compris, Zirk; ALL amplifiers are "active". Do you mean the speakers have Motion Feedback, as per the system invented by Philips?
I'm still not seeing what exactly is special about the system.....

Ron.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2018, 11:10:04 »

Ron.

That's a part of it Ron.

Bose speakers / amps tend to run with a 2 ohm impeadance which are great if all matched up but are liable to burn out if driven with other stuff.
You also tend to get a better spread / more defined sound due to the extra amplification and much better separate bass, mid range speakers and tweeters.

Vauxhall Bose setups 15 years ago was a big improvement over the normal stuff fitted only because the normal stuff was so shite imo.
Also the speakers are made of paper so deteriate and no mater how well it is looked after so the chance of getting a 15 year old Bose system in a omega so sound like it did when it was fitted are zilch  ;)

Car audio is on a different planet to even 10 years ago.

If you want a better sound in a omega, the speakers need to be replaced with something better and a inline amp needs to be fitted to drive those new speakers.
If you really REALLY want a great sound then its time to replace the head unit with something more upto date and build on from there ...........

Note ...............  Sticking a friggin big subwoofer box in the boot does not improve the sound  ;)
It just pisses off everybody else and makes you go deaf  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2018, 11:28:10 »

TG, I fully concur, which is why I never subscribed to the mythical "superiority" of Bose - they never rated much in my opinion in general audio terms either.
Surely, having 2 ohm speech coils in a car is a bad move? The resistance of the wiring would be comparable to or greater than that of the speaker, hence greater power loss.
Top quality sound is impossible in a car anyway, due to its dimensions/eigentone - all you get is one-note bass, especially "white-van-man with his bass box!
Of course, you could always use headphones.....

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2018, 12:25:59 »

Since I modified my NCDC 2013 to support Bluetooth music, my opinion of the Bose has gone up. Now it’s been driven from a better source than radio, driving some decent tunes, it sounds good and well rounded.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2018, 12:35:26 »

To my completely knackered ears, my Bose system sounds reasonably decent, but that's in comparison to previous in car systems I have owned, which were all bargain basement crap.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2018, 12:51:08 »

Pas compris, Zirk; ALL amplifiers are "active". Do you mean the speakers have Motion Feedback, as per the system invented by Philips?
I'm still not seeing what exactly is special about the system.....

Ron.
Active as in Active Amp per Speaker Range, in the Amp is 6 Amps driving Low, Mid and High individually, idea being and Active Speaker system is the Audio information is split into individual frequency bands, which is more important at the Low end, as this approaches its power limits it doesnt knock the mid to higher Audio info as there being driven separately with there own amps. Bose also use Compander and Compression technics to increase or decrease Dynamic Range supposedly to combat Road Noise at speed.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2018, 13:17:10 »

TG, I fully concur, which is why I never subscribed to the mythical "superiority" of Bose - they never rated much in my opinion in general audio terms either.
Surely, having 2 ohm speech coils in a car is a bad move? The resistance of the wiring would be comparable to or greater than that of the speaker, hence greater power loss.
Top quality sound is impossible in a car anyway, due to its dimensions/eigentone - all you get is one-note bass, especially "white-van-man with his bass box!
Of course, you could always use headphones.....

Ron.
In the Home and PA Audio World Bose has always been like Marmite, you either do or you dont, originally Bose never agreed with the Flat Response society, on as much there views were at the time, and Im going back a few years here, theres no such thing as a flat response Speaker so why drive speakers with flat response Amps, kind of true at the time, so Bose original design all there Amps with EQ Curve to suit there crappy speakers (predominantly with a Low and High boost), thats why the Speakers or Amps sound shite when used with other equipment. Having said that in the Night Club / PA scene is you get a all Bose system set properly and feed it with the correct levels it can sound quiet decent.  :y

On the Car Audio side Bose use 2 Ohm Speakers as a cheat to get more RMS power to speakers given the Car Supply Voltage, they where doing this long before the use of Voltage inverters inside modern Amps. The Amps are positioned as the rear next to the Bass units which is where most of the Speaker Power is used, its driven from the HU at low audio level which is fed via Balanced twisted pair  and not the usual unbalanced screened pre Amp levels, hence one of the main reasons why the Bose system is a rip job and start again if you want to inter mix with standard ICE Audio components.  ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2018, 15:54:02 »

Zirk, thank you for that; however, I am/was an electronics engineer and fully understand the principles here. Bose are pissing into the wind with their approach - it is for installation in a car, after all, with its totally naff acoustics!
Emperor's New Clothes?  ::)

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2018, 17:44:12 »

my last mig had a ccr600 with a bose system. my present mig has the same radio but has not got bose amps etc. when the first mig got scrapped I kept the bose system ccr600 radio but nothing else. is this radio no good to me or will it work ok in my present mig that hasn't got a bose system,
No you didn't, unless some mong bodged something.

ccr800 maybe ;)

Despite its age, the Bose setup is pretty decent, but baer in mind all your speakers have probably had 20yrs of thumping tunes.

The Shaguar has a much newer system - a Bowers & Wilkins 1200W setup - but I'm not convinced its leagues ahead of the Omega Bose for clarity, although an awful lot louder playing those Friday night bongo bongo tunes...
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2018, 15:46:41 »

While In Car Entertainment has moved on, there is nothing that slots in and looks factory fitted on the market (ignoring the cheap Chinese tat that is the right shape but usually in piano black finish).That's why I added a cheap MP3 player and hid it away in one of my cars.

It's a shame that the Sat Nav discs where not produced after 2011, the NCDC system, while basic by todays standards does at least get you to your destination and you dont have to rip it off the windscreen every time you stop.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.