Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WTD: Rear subframe donut bushes for '01 2.6 estate..  (Read 4622 times)

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
WTD: Rear subframe donut bushes for '01 2.6 estate..
« on: 05 January 2020, 10:02:44 »

...the car failed it's mot  :(
Am therefore in need of these bushes - anyone?
I've seen the maintenance guide & there is a picture of poly bushes used & it seems logical to me to use them whilst I'm at it!
Anyone know where I may get these from?
Thanks.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: WTD: Rear subframe donut bushes for '01 2.6 estate..
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2020, 11:20:49 »

Polys about £100,, rubber from eBay about £30.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2020, 11:39:43 »

Assuming doughnuts, and not diff mounts, then PM YZ250, I think he has a set of polys to sell.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2020, 11:53:48 »

Assuming doughnuts, and not diff mounts, then PM YZ250, I think he has a set of polys to sell.

knackered or at least very tired, diff mounts should also be expected and it would be worth inspecting them before starting the job. Then you can factor in the turnaround time on a pair of repaired mounts......

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2020, 12:28:12 »

knackered or at least very tired, diff mounts should also be expected and it would be worth inspecting them before starting the job. Then you can factor in the turnaround time on a pair of repaired mounts......
Oh dear, now I'm not sure...this is what the mot fail says:
"Nearside rear sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)....same for the offside!

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2020, 14:02:03 »

Ive often wondered how the "mot man" really checks them as they are virtually hidden inside a metal cup and the only bit is the outer lip which will always appear rusty as its just the cover plate.

If the thing flaps around then its clearly failed but even then it would hardly give." excessive movement".

Sounds to me like subrame donut bushes though ...about £20 each and around hour a side ..if they aren't totally seized in .

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2020, 16:39:18 »

Ive often wondered how the "mot man" really checks them as they are virtually hidden inside a metal cup and the only bit is the outer lip which will always appear rusty as its just the cover plate.

If the thing flaps around then its clearly failed but even then it would hardly give." excessive movement".

Sounds to me like subrame donut bushes though ...about £20 each and around hour a side ..if they aren't totally seized in .
Thanks....yup, I agree - looking at how they are fitted it seems difficult to see. The car seems to handle absolutely fine so it seems unlikely that they are hanging off! I haven't actually got under there myself yet to take a look. I think I will see if I can get a second opinion from a local garage tomorrow before I remove the padlock from my wallet  ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2020, 17:27:58 »

They probably are past their sell by date as most parts are on our Omegas now so it would be worthwhile fitting new...but you need to be sure that's what Mot man is complaining about before investing time and ££ changing them...cost isn't great to replace but can be a struggle...we have a "how to guide" but my IT skills don't allow any link ...others may help out though

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2020, 18:21:06 »

You'd know if it were the diff mounts... Sling it into a corner and you'feel the car twist and get a fairly hefty thud as the weight transfers back on to the mount.

Makes the car looser than a box of Allbran :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2020, 19:21:53 »

PM received and replied to.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2020, 10:32:09 »

You'd know if it were the diff mounts... Sling it into a corner and you'feel the car twist and get a fairly hefty thud as the weight transfers back on to the mount.

Makes the car looser than a box of Allbran :o

my separated one only became apparent when I undid it to change the rear springs. The horseshoe shaped metal outer fell off when I removed the bolts; the rubber and aluminium centre stayed bolted to the diff.

The MOT test requires the car to be jacked(to test the wheel bearings) and now uses shaker plates, so the tester is probably noting movement during one of those operations. The subframe front mounts(the donuts) are most likely, being readily available and a straightforward job, are the place to start

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2020, 10:51:34 »

"The subframe front mounts(the donuts) are most likely, being readily available and a straightforward job"
...they don't look very straightforward from the thread I've read but I'm probably gonna have to try to do them - I think a garage will be too expensive for me.
Thanks for the advice..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2020, 11:20:49 »

"The subframe front mounts(the donuts) are most likely, being readily available and a straightforward job"
...they don't look very straightforward from the thread I've read but I'm probably gonna have to try to do them - I think a garage will be too expensive for me.
Thanks for the advice..

I use a cold chisel to make a gap between the bush and the subframe. Then a pair of claw hammers to keep the old part moving. Once it's come out about 5mm, I swap to a pry bar to save some effort. The new bush is drawn into place with its mounting bolt and finished with the jack. About 45 minutes per side, working on axle stands in the street. It's a brute force job, no special tools, techniques or thinking required. Although an impact wrench or long ratchet does save some effort.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2020, 12:20:38 »

Thanks for the advice..

I use a cold chisel to make a gap between the bush and the subframe. Then a pair of claw hammers to keep the old part moving. Once it's come out about 5mm, I swap to a pry bar to save some effort. The new bush is drawn into place with its mounting bolt and finished with the jack. About 45 minutes per side, working on axle stands in the street. It's a brute force job, no special tools, techniques or thinking required. Although an impact wrench or long ratchet does save some effort.
Are you a young man Nick? :-[

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2020, 12:25:44 »

Thanks for the advice..

Are you a young man Nick? :-[

not any more. I make the tools, big hammer and long bar, do the work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.