Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken Radio advice  (Read 1031 times)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
Broken Radio advice
« on: 08 July 2018, 18:10:10 »

Hello I am after some advice from the font of knlowedge called Oof .
I have acquired a desalt radio from work as it was not working ( no sound output ) after taking it apart (almost 40 screws )  I have found it has 4 x 4ohm 5w speakers and a sub inside .
After I touched the speaker to board connectors I have got two speakers working and basically found that one speaker is dead  .
I am not sure how they are connected they have four seperate connectors and are paired to each side if one speaker from the pair is disconnected both speakers on the side stop working .
So I was thinking if I got a resistor 4ohm and connect this in place of the broken speaker would that make the cct think it had the speaker fitted , I am not worried about only having only three speakers . I am only going to be using the radio outside in the garden or when working on the car .

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Radio advice
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2018, 18:19:35 »

Theoretically speaker impedance and pure ohms are not totally the same thing but in this case there should be no problems doing what you say. Its only a low powered portable radio at the end of the day and not a high end hifi setup. So i wouldnt worry too much.
When you say you got it to work by just touching the connections does this suggest a bad solder joint or loose connector/dirty ?.is there anything you can do to help it stay working by cleaning or re soldering ?

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2018, 19:06:16 »

I am not sure why it worked when I touched it maybe it was just loose the solder joints look good and I can’t make it go off again unless I unplug the speaker .
 I had a look for a replacement speaker on fleabay but they are mostly from China and a month delivery .
If I can find a resistor at work tomorrow I will try it I have nothing to loose if it does not wok

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2018, 19:12:35 »

Just read that again and testing the speakers three are reading the 4ohm but other is not , I can’t remember what it read .
The radio came out of the plant as not working but they have them pretty on pretty loud there so it is not a surprise it has blown it .
But as I said it is ok for what I want it for and I have the batteries to fit it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.