Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My astra is killing the planet  (Read 8903 times)

STEMO

My astra is killing the planet
« on: 13 January 2020, 12:47:06 »

I've asked this question before, without receiving a satisfactory answer. How does a dpf stop particles being blown out of the exhaust when, surely, they must do it when self cleaning? Turns out they don't:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7879833/New-diesel-cars-exceed-particle-limits-EU-environmental-group.html

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: My astra is killing the planet
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2020, 12:51:29 »

I've asked this question before, without receiving a satisfactory answer. How does a dpf stop particles being blown out of the exhaust when, surely, they must do it when self cleaning? Turns out they don't:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7879833/New-diesel-cars-exceed-particle-limits-EU-environmental-group.html

What you have to consider is that particulates are combustible (but have not been combusted in the cylinders).

So when the DPF regens, it gets very hot (circa 600 degrees C) and this combusts them, they can only pass through the DPF once burnt

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2020, 13:00:02 »

What you have to consider is that particulates are combustible (but have not been combusted in the cylinders).

So when the DPF regens, it gets very hot (circa 600 degrees C) and this combusts them, they can only pass through the DPF once burnt
I understand that, Mark, but the side product of that combustion still must be pretty unpleasant.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2020, 13:01:59 »

I understand that, Mark, but the side product of that combustion still must be pretty unpleasant.

Mainly CO2 and water, not nearly as unpleasant as particulates and NOx

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2020, 13:08:07 »

Mainly CO2 and water, not nearly as unpleasant as particulates and NOx
These reports are wrong, then? If so, they should be challenged by the industry because, as far as I can see, a rush back to petrol would see CO2 levels go through the roof.
It's no good suggesting to people like me that an EV would be the way to go, because I've nowhere to plug one in. Hybrids are a waste of time, in my opinion. The battery has to be charged by a petrol engine while driving along so, by working to both propel the vehicle and charge the battery, they are emitting more CO2 than by just driving. You don't get the battery energy for free.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2020, 13:12:20 »

As for the regenerative braking and charging going downhill, that wouldn't put enough charge in any hybrid I was driving. Nor Lord Opti, living in flat earth country.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2020, 13:13:30 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres.  Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

Back on the subject of regens, do some diesels do them without the driver noticing?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2020, 13:20:28 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres.  Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

Back on the subject of regens, do some diesels do them without the driver noticing?
Most regen without any fuss. I know when my 2.0 astra with the fiat engine is doing it because the revs are at 950 instead of 850 at idle. I also know if I've switched off before the regen is complete because the cooling fans have to bring down the temperature of the dpf when you stop, and they go into hyperdrive  ;D
The wife's astra, with the GM 1.6 whisper engine, gives no indication whatsoever, and the fans never kick in when she switches off. It was the same with her Renault 1.5dci.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2020, 13:22:07 »

If you interrupt the regen cycle too often, a symbol lights on the dash and you get a message telling you to keep driving.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2020, 13:24:06 »

Far too complicated for the average commuter. As Nick W said, it's no use putting symbols, lights and messages on the dash, because people don't understand them, so there are scared of them, so they wouldn't sell many diesels.
And car salespeople will just quickly gloss over it.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2020, 14:08:40 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres. Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

I think in the future EV's will have a solar skin like a wrap, that will be suitably advanced to charge the battery even in a grim place on a grim day.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2020, 14:51:46 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres. Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

I think in the future EV's will have a solar skin like a wrap, that will be suitably advanced to charge the battery even in a grim place on a grim day.  :y

Do the maths.....

The typical UK sunlight energy density is somewhere between 20W and 200W per square metre depending on time of year.

https://www.withouthotair.com/c6/page_38.shtml

A car is what? 2m wide and 4m long? So 8 sqM. Therefore the available energy hitting the car is somewhere in the 160W to 1.6kW range. At midday. On a sunny day.

GCSE question : Write your name in block capitals at the top of the paper...

O Level question...Modern Tesla cars use batteries in the 60-120KWh range. How long is it going to charge a 60KWh Tesla battery on a sunny noontime day in June.

AO/A level question...- it's only sunny 32% of the time in the UK (apparently). And sunlight distribution is basically raised Cosine distributed about noon. How long to reach 80% charge on a 120kwh battery in March?

Degree question : Where's the JCR/Student Union Bar?   
« Last Edit: 13 January 2020, 14:53:36 by LC0112G »

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2020, 15:03:50 »

All of this is, by and large, moot. People (me) will only adopt eco friendly cars* when we are forced to. Why? Well 1) It costs money 2) Most people realise that, even if this country turned zero emissions overnight, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world as a whole.

My diesel emits particulates which harm people on busy roads in densely populated areas, I don't live in such a place. A switch to petrol would mean emitting CO2, which kills the whole planet, apparently.

IMO, hybrids are not eco friendly cars.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2020, 15:05:32 »

Do the maths.....

The typical UK sunlight energy density is somewhere between 20W and 200W per square metre depending on time of year.

https://www.withouthotair.com/c6/page_38.shtml

A car is what? 2m wide and 4m long? So 8 sqM. Therefore the available energy hitting the car is somewhere in the 160W to 1.6kW range. At midday. On a sunny day.

GCSE question : Write your name in block capitals at the top of the paper...

O Level question...Modern Tesla cars use batteries in the 60-120KWh range. How long is it going to charge a 60KWh Tesla battery on a sunny noontime day in June.

AO/A level question...- it's only sunny 32% of the time in the UK (apparently). And sunlight distribution is basically raised Cosine distributed about noon. How long to reach 80% charge on a 120kwh battery in March?

Degree question : Where's the JCR/Student Union Bar?

I said 'in the future'.  I didn't say how far into the future.  ::)  :P

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2020, 15:06:34 »

All of this is, by and large, moot. People (me) will only adopt eco friendly cars* when we are forced to. Why? Well 1) It costs money 2) Most people realise that, even if this country turned zero emissions overnight, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world as a whole.

My diesel emits particulates which harm people on busy roads in densely populated areas, I don't live in such a place. A switch to petrol would mean emitting CO2, which kills the whole planet, apparently.

IMO, hybrids are not eco friendly cars.

Diseasels emit CO2 as well.  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.