Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My astra is killing the planet  (Read 8904 times)

STEMO

Re: My astra is killing the planet
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2020, 15:06:43 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres. Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

Back on the subject of regens, do some diesels do them without the driver noticing?

I think in the future EV's will have a solar skin like a wrap, that will be suitably advanced to charge the battery even in a grim place on a grim day.  :y

Do the maths.....

The typical UK sunlight energy density is somewhere between 20W and 200W per square metre depending on time of year.

https://www.withouthotair.com/c6/page_38.shtml

A car is what? 2m wide and 4m long? So 8 sqM. Therefore the available energy hitting the car is somewhere in the 160W to 1.6kW range. At midday. On a sunny day.

GCSE question : Write your name in block capitals at the top of the paper...

O Level question...Modern Tesla cars use batteries in the 60-120KWh range. How long is it going to charge a 60KWh Tesla battery on a sunny noontime day in June.

AO/A level question...- it's only sunny 32% of the time in the UK (apparently). And sunlight distribution is basically raised Cosine distributed about noon. How long to reach 80% charge on a 120kwh battery in March?

Degree question : Where's the JCR/Student Union Bar?

I said 'in the future'.  I didn't say how far into the future.  ::)  :P
Far enough into the future that it really won't matter any more  :)

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2020, 15:07:51 »

All of this is, by and large, moot. People (me) will only adopt eco friendly cars* when we are forced to. Why? Well 1) It costs money 2) Most people realise that, even if this country turned zero emissions overnight, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world as a whole.

My diesel emits particulates which harm people on busy roads in densely populated areas, I don't live in such a place. A switch to petrol would mean emitting CO2, which kills the whole planet, apparently.

IMO, hybrids are not eco friendly cars.

Diseasels emit CO2 as well.  :)
Nowhere near as much as petrol. That's why our government, in its infinite wisdom, tried to make everyone switch.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2020, 16:30:52 »

All of this is, by and large, moot. People (me) will only adopt eco friendly cars* when we are forced to. Why? Well 1) It costs money 2) Most people realise that, even if this country turned zero emissions overnight, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the world as a whole.

My diesel emits particulates which harm people on busy roads in densely populated areas, I don't live in such a place. A switch to petrol would mean emitting CO2, which kills the whole planet, apparently.

Nowhere near as much as petrol. That's why our government, in its infinite wisdom, tried to make everyone switch.

Think of the trees.  They need to breath as well.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2020, 16:48:45 »

We're chopping all the trees down for oak furniture land, and burning what's left.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2020, 17:16:00 »

We're chopping all the trees down for oak furniture land, and burning what's left.

Didn't you take any notice during the election when they all said they were going to plant lots of trees?  ???  ::)

And think of all those poor burnt trees Down Under!  :o  They'll need plenty of quality CO2 to recover.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2020, 17:28:03 »

Didn't you take any notice during the election when they all said they were going to plant lots of trees?  ???  ::)

And think of all those poor burnt trees Down Under!  :o  They'll need plenty of quality CO2 to recover.  :y
There's no room to plant any trees because they also promised to build three billion affordable homes.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2020, 18:28:02 »

There's no room to plant any trees because they also promised to build three billion affordable homes.

How about three billion affordable tree houses?  :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2020, 18:37:45 »

Good political compromise. Will these tree houses have solar panels? I guess the waste water would just be piped direct to the roots.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2020, 18:42:53 »

Good political compromise. Will these tree houses have solar panels? I guess the waste water would just be piped direct to the roots.

Apparently solar power is no good (see above) so we could explore the idea of genetically engineering the trees to harvest wind power.  :y

Another advantage of tree houses is that you're not going to get flooded out.  :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2020, 18:48:29 »

so what gets the sunlight ? the tree ,or the solar array  :-\
and waste water needs treating, best done as now ,on a large scale ,
rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing,summer irrigation etc could be implemented though 

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2020, 19:06:35 »

All that is just difficulty stating.

All those problems could be addressed with some ingenuity. No difficulty with car parking or charging your ev.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2020, 19:31:27 »

That's OK, they've stopped building bungalows so there's more space for sky scrapers with a thousand flats in each one ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2020, 07:37:25 »

Won’t be long before you ( your car ) are banned from city centres. Mind you by then you will have an electric car.( charged wirelessly)

Back on the subject of regens, do some diesels do them without the driver noticing?

I think in the future EV's will have a solar skin like a wrap, that will be suitably advanced to charge the battery even in a grim place on a grim day.  :y

Do the maths.....

The typical UK sunlight energy density is somewhere between 20W and 200W per square metre depending on time of year.

https://www.withouthotair.com/c6/page_38.shtml

A car is what? 2m wide and 4m long? So 8 sqM. Therefore the available energy hitting the car is somewhere in the 160W to 1.6kW range. At midday. On a sunny day.

GCSE question : Write your name in block capitals at the top of the paper...

O Level question...Modern Tesla cars use batteries in the 60-120KWh range. How long is it going to charge a 60KWh Tesla battery on a sunny noontime day in June.

AO/A level question...- it's only sunny 32% of the time in the UK (apparently). And sunlight distribution is basically raised Cosine distributed about noon. How long to reach 80% charge on a 120kwh battery in March?

Degree question : Where's the JCR/Student Union Bar?

I said 'in the future'.  I didn't say how far into the future.  ::)  :P

It should work for a short period in the distance future, just after our star explodes into a red giant.

Until then, solar can and never will be able to :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2020, 07:40:40 »

Except it doesn't......thanks to the DPF.

The bigger issue was NOx but, modern diesels with selective catalytic reaction plus AdBlue, output less NOx than petrols.

There are even a few new diesels (including one of ours), where the NOx levels are not even measurable.

Blame the press and politicians who are jumping on a band wagon they don't understand

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2020, 09:14:46 »

Until then, solar can and never will be able to :y

I get a chuckle out of eevBlog Dave's debunking of "solar roadways" .. although I can only watch so much of him in one go before the accent and the idioms get a bit grating ("That's a bit how-you-doin!") - unlike AvE, whose idioms never get boring.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.