Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket 3.2 v6  (Read 15883 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket 3.2 v6
« Reply #60 on: 25 June 2018, 12:41:22 »

So, it wasn't head gasket failure. We still await the first case to appear.
Choice of changing the heads or the hole engine I suppose. Depends if block and bottom end are in decent condition.

An old fashioned style head gasket failure, where the gasket deteriorates through poor coolant maintenance and age, is almost impossible, on the 2.6 and 3.2 - due to the multi layer steel gasket as we all know.

The more accurate phrase in this case should probably be “head failure” rather than HGF :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25 June 2018, 12:43:04 »

It ticks over lovely, so as long as the block surface is true then some replacement heads will see a good, cheap and lasting repair :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25 June 2018, 13:29:46 »

It ticks over lovely, so as long as the block surface is true then some replacement heads will see a good, cheap and lasting repair :y

But the sump is going to be full of water/mayo mix, so that's going to have to come off for a good clean? And once the sump is off you may as well take a look at the main and big end bearings? I mean, how long has the engine been running for with mayo for lubricant?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 25 June 2018, 13:45:23 »

A known good lump is a far more efficient solution...

Both financially and temporally... But that was ruled out on day 1 ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 25 June 2018, 17:52:33 »

What's efficient for one, may not be efficient for another. Factors to consider are

Rae has another car, so isn't under time pressure to get this one running.

He is not having to pay any labour whatsoever for this repair, because I'm not charging him anything. I also have various gaskets and seals in stock, which are no good to me, which I will donate to him, further reducing his parts cost.

In contrast, Rae was quoted £600 to have another engine fitted by a different member.

Assuming we need new heads, a proven second hand pair (If I don't already have any in the garage) will cost £50 to £75. On top of this, we only need head gaskets and bolts and maybe the odd O ring (I think I have most of it). His cam cover seals are GM and supple as new, and can be re used.

On this basis, parts cost is likely to be sub £150.

The cost of consumables like oil and coolant, are irrelevant as you'd need to replace these additionally, in either scenario.

Of course I will check the bottom end and take it apart for a clean, but, on the balance of probabilities, I doubt there's any lower end issues.

In a nutshell, labour isn't a factor, or a cost, because it's something I enjoy and don't charge for.

I'm optimistic of a lasting, decent repair on this engine, so if this can be achieved for sub £200 in parts, how is this more cost effective than paying £600 to have a second hand one fitted?

In my mind, given that he can live without the car and doesn't have to pay me, he's saving £400.

The fact the car is 15 years and 200,000 miles old is also another factor in the "might as well have a bash" repair option. There's literally nothing to lose.

There are also other factors to consider, in that, what is efficient for one, isn't for another. For example, whilst I can change the heads, it's a job that is right on the upper level of what my injury allows me to do, from a physical point of view. I don't have facilities for lifting engines, and, if I did, I still wouldn't be able to cope with the really heavy stuff such as mating the new engine to the gearbox bellhousing, and so forth. I also don't see having to then take the replacement engine to the dump and all of that malarkey as efficient either.

Can we not go back to the good old OOF days? I can remember when one member helped another, for nothing more than the love of being an enthusiast, and it was discussed on here, the threads were full of nothing but support, banter, and encouragement for those concerned. That doesn't seem to be quite the case, anymore

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 25 June 2018, 18:10:39 »

What's efficient for one, may not be efficient for another. Factors to consider are

Rae has another car, so isn't under time pressure to get this one running.

He is not having to pay any labour whatsoever for this repair, because I'm not charging him anything. I also have various gaskets and seals in stock, which are no good to me, which I will donate to him, further reducing his parts cost.

In contrast, Rae was quoted £600 to have another engine fitted by a different member.

Assuming we need new heads, a proven second hand pair (If I don't already have any in the garage) will cost £50 to £75. On top of this, we only need head gaskets and bolts and maybe the odd O ring (I think I have most of it). His cam cover seals are GM and supple as new, and can be re used.

On this basis, parts cost is likely to be sub £150.

The cost of consumables like oil and coolant, are irrelevant as you'd need to replace these additionally, in either scenario.

Of course I will check the bottom end and take it apart for a clean, but, on the balance of probabilities, I doubt there's any lower end issues.

In a nutshell, labour isn't a factor, or a cost, because it's something I enjoy and don't charge for.

I'm optimistic of a lasting, decent repair on this engine, so if this can be achieved for sub £200 in parts, how is this more cost effective than paying £600 to have a second hand one fitted?

In my mind, given that he can live without the car and doesn't have to pay me, he's saving £400.

The fact the car is 15 years and 200,000 miles old is also another factor in the "might as well have a bash" repair option. There's literally nothing to lose.

There are also other factors to consider, in that, what is efficient for one, isn't for another. For example, whilst I can change the heads, it's a job that is right on the upper level of what my injury allows me to do, from a physical point of view. I don't have facilities for lifting engines, and, if I did, I still wouldn't be able to cope with the really heavy stuff such as mating the new engine to the gearbox bellhousing, and so forth. I also don't see having to then take the replacement engine to the dump and all of that malarkey as efficient either.

Can we not go back to the good old OOF days? I can remember when one member helped another, for nothing more than the love of being an enthusiast, and it was discussed on here, the threads were full of nothing but support, banter, and encouragement for those concerned. That doesn't seem to be quite the case, anymore

With you 110% on your last paragraph James ,  nowadays on here there always seems to someone who wants to , for want of a better phrase, "pi*s on your bonfire"  . IMO pretty sure thats one of the reasons numbers have dwindled on here. 

Good luck with this project , as its making great reading for a majority on here, & the owner of the said 3.2 must be delighted with your kind gesture of helping him .  . .
OOf at its best  . . just like the old days eh ?  :y :y
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 18:24:23 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 25 June 2018, 18:56:26 »

Seconded. Where’s the fun in fitting a replacement,possibly unknown engine that may have issues. Much better and more enjoyable to repair existing one providing it is repairable.nowadays it seems to be a throw away society. People would much rather replace something because it’s easier rather than repair it.i personally am an enthusiast of what I like and beleive in and would much rather spend a whole day repairing Anything  even if a new one is cheap..even when I have to buy a new part for something I usually take it apart if I can to make sure it’s ok.wheel cylinders as an example.old stock items of anything could have been on a shelf for years and look perfect from the outside only to be rusty inside. Many people would fit new parts straight out of the box and have to replace them again a short while after.
Back on thread. Keep up the good work James.you are doing a great job and it’s relaxing too. Because it’s something you enjoy and leads you to the end result. .....

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 25 June 2018, 19:01:26 »

Am reading with interest.....

hope you get to the bottom of what went wrong:  was it a poor repair  or the overheating that caused the failure.  Interested in what you discover either way.

and yes I'm with you on repairing things when you can (there can be downsides, I seem to have collected 4 washing machines including the one I replaced the drum bearings on for the fun of it...)

car's are similar: can't seem to wear them out as it is almost always cheaper and easier to fix them and keep them running

parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 25 June 2018, 19:18:13 »

That’s why you never see car enthusiasts with just 1 car !   It’s addictive !

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 25 June 2018, 19:25:15 »

Although I'm not a veteran member, I can cerainly remember the earlier times when OOF was not infected with those inadequates with low IQs who think that sniping at and belittling others makes them seem superior. It doesn't, and we can do without them, before they drive away any more good members.
We are all here to give and receive help and make friends too, as I certainly have - see my "Grand Day Out" post, for example.
It's a privilege to know you, James. And others. of course.  :y :) 8)

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 25 June 2018, 19:38:26 »

That’s why you never see car enthusiasts with just 1 car !   It’s addictive !

There are 4 cars here  :-[ plus my daughter's

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 25 June 2018, 20:04:54 »

Oh so it’s not just me then, I had an inkling there was a certain member (member) stirring things up albeit I’m new here, as for him maybe it’s better if he comments on other threads and leave the OP (my) thread alone, as said I’m very happy with James doing the job for me as anyone else would be too, and seeing it worked on like this is giving me pleasure
 even in the event that it can’t be fixed, I wanted to keep my engine if possible and if it turns out I can then there could be no better outcome however I reckon whatever Goes wrong James will advise me the next steps and I’m sure he will be able to fix it anyway. I’m all for a happy helpful forum, I’m a member of the Mitsubishi Lancer register and that I feel is going downhill a bit too with all the sniping seems like a sign of the times...

Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 25 June 2018, 20:05:47 »

Oh and I have 5 vehicles   8)
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 25 June 2018, 21:40:25 »

Fair play for your efforts James :y

If you have the time and bits to do it for nowt, then that clearly alters the numbers somewhat...

Hopefully a pair of heads will see it sorted and back up and running soon enough  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 26 June 2018, 10:40:15 »

A great post James. Keep it coming. :y

I particularly like all the photos you take. I wish I had the patience to do that when I take my cars to bit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.